The Comeback of Travolta? "Gotti"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm an avid fan of the crime genre in general, and all things Mafia & organized crime related. I've read SO many books about the mob and a few about John Gotti. It's always fascinating how the general public somehow 'accepts' the mob, romanticizing them in books, movies & TV. John Gotti is especially interesting in how NYC citizens actually considered him an 'anti-hero' of sorts, celebrating his wins in court (dubbed him the 'teflon Don', cause nothing ever stuck!). But here's the thing about Gotti and most organized crime, if you remove the gloss of being in the mob, you'll see repeated patterns of what can only be considered psychopathic serial killing. It amazes me that Charles Manson is considered evil incarnate, but Gotti's right hand man, and one of the most infamous rats in Mafia history, Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano, has a proven body count that far exceeds anything by Manson and his maniac followers! AND the dude was in witness protection for quite awhile! There's so many stories of Mafia/mob killers who could/should be considered mass murderers. The most infamous serial killers in history really don't compare count-wise, but the wiseguys ALWAYS get a pass as far as being recognized for being the psychopaths they are! Go figure.

Matt Richardson and Gumboo like this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I cant disagree that they are a dispicable lot. I keep thinking about this from when I watched it as a kid...silly I guess..but it kind of stuck with me about what I considered "heroes" and "cool"..

My fascination with the Mafia has more to do with the inner workings and how they pulled things off. Also the culture, social circles and personalities. I cant deny I havent romanticized the idea. But I do realize deep down that they are no more than murderers, thieves and liars at the very least.

Mr. E. Tramp and hellion like this.
  3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I'm fascinated by Mob history as well. There is an attraction to the outlaw, the rebel; obviously some of these guys were ruthless killers, but that made them dangerous and there's something about that too--. Add to that, the whole "men of respect" thing- the sort of classic mob wiseguy culture, and it can become almost a parody of itself. Living in NY, borderline Jersey, you'd meet a lot of wanna be's, the so-called "flashy wristwatch" crowd, as well as the no-neck guys who were as wide as they were tall and were the working man types. Some weren't mobbed up at all, they just dug the slick suit, italian loafers and see-through socks. Others- borderline scary.
    I'm sure we all have stories. Having lived in Brooklyn for a long time before I moved to the Lower Hudson Valley, all I gotta say is, whaddya talkin' about?
    Which reminds me of the Three Stooges-- 'a wise guy, eh? Nose tweak. :)
    Bada Bing.

4. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I like gangster movies so I'm interested. Travolta was good in Pulp Fiction.
    (hope he doesn't have a dance scene in this film):cool:

junk likes this.
  5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I don't see that. At least not in the trailer.

Looks too much like John Travolta trying to act like John Gotti.

6. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I like gangster movies too but this is just beating a dead horse. Anyone ever see Cocaine Cowboys? I would much rather they did a movie about that instead. That story hasn't been done to death yet.

Complier likes this.
  7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

When does Gotti get released..anyone know?

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Gotti see? Not really. :)

9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Tom Cruise's latest movie; American Made, is directly related to the Cowboys. And it's not bad at all!

BTW, you do know what Pacino's Scarface was based on, right?

10. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

What I mean is Hollywood needs to come up with original ideas, stop recycling old ones.

11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

favorite Travolta performances:
    blow out 1980
    pulp fiction 1994
    guess im due for another one

junk likes this.
  12. junk

junk Hellion

Definitely interested in this.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

in case you are not joshing...
    John Gotti (October 27, 1940 – June 10, 2002)

14. stereoguy

Lol.....I meant when does the Movie get released.

hbbfam likes this.
  15. stereoguy

The problem is.....the recycled ideas make a ton of predictable money, which is thier dream come true (predictable profits, as they can invest them before they actually see the profit) so Hollywoid will keep recycling old ideas that thier focus groups say will be successfull. Its the same reason why the big record companies release the same 50 artists over and over......they are guaranteed predictable profit centers.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  16. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I'm curious about this, but for me it's going to have to be spectacular to top the original "Gotti" staring Armand Assante. That was a great movie, one of my favorite mob movies of all time.

17. stereoguy

You know, besides the one with Armand Assante, there was another TV movie about Gotti with another actor playing him. I dont think the actor was very well known, however. I remember the movie but not the actor.

18. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Can you share any light on this? @Vidiot

20. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

21. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

22. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I'm a John Travolta fan and even though I don't enjoy this genre anymore I will go watch. He's made some absolute garbage and had some sublime performances. I like how he varies up what he does as an actor. He isn't just a movie star, but to the world at large he IS a movie star if you know what I mean.

23. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I couldn't even make it through the trailer (which is rare for me), so I'm baffled by how many here seem to be taking this seriously.

24. So what's the problem? It might not be a genre classic, but it looks like it ought to be entertaining enough.

25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Except that wasn't really the premise of this thread, which was that this would be some epic comeback for Travolta, not merely "entertaining enough."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.