Metallica "And Justice For All" Box Set Anticipation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sons of nothing, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's going to be hard to top the Master Of Puppets Box Set, but if you have anything, here's your chance to have it included. Did you record an awesome audio/video that you never circulated? Any cool pictures? Here's your chance to get them included. If I did ROIO's back then, I'd love to have something I did included in their box set(s).

I'd like to see a version of the album where I can hear Jason. I doubt that'll happen. I'd also like to see a Cd only Box set, as well as a Vinyl only box set. This way, you make both camps happy. There are things on the MOP box set that I'd love to spin more often, but are on vinyl! I don't want to see anything different on them if it goes in that direction.

When it comes to video, there are tons of great audience shows out there where zoom is used. The selection of those should override a camera sitting behind the board that doesn't move.

With that said, what would you like to see on the AJFA Box set?

METALLICA Is Preparing Deluxe Versions Of '…And Justice For All' And 'Black' Albums

joshm2286 likes this.
  2. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Not sure what the fatuation is with hearing the bass on this album.

Whether the decision was a direct conscious decision or not following the death of their friend and bassist, what an incredibly amazing artistic expression and individual production style. I think this album is a phenomenal success as a result of this and yet completely different from Masters and the albums before.

joshm2286, Frosst, xybert and 7 others like this.
  3. sons of nothing

I
    I agree with you on all points, but it's no different than remixing say Sgt Peppers. I'd love to hear his playing on the studio tracks. I'm sure we'll get some demos where he can be heard. Regardless, there will be plenty of live material where he can be heard.

Someone on another thread mentioned putting Garage Days with this set. I think it might get it's own set down the road. I imagine it would be a licensing nightmare.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    joshm2286, enro99 and seasonsinthesky like this.
  4. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I would like a audio track of the "video version" of One.

5. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Infatuation?

I333I and Terry like this.
  6. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I'm in for this one, as it is my favorite Metallica album.

Zongadude, Ivand, jdrueke and 3 others like this.
  7. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

The only interesting thing for me would be remixed album (and the covers b-sides as they have almost no bass guitar as well, but not as bad as the album). The original is still out there and no doubt will be re-released. I am aware of the sound of that album and how it actually influenced other bands (Pantera, Fear Factory) but after hearing the mixes with the original bass track from the video game, I have to say I want that.

joshm2286 and John Porcellino like this.
  8. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

A full album remix FINALLY featuring Robert Trujilo's bass? ;)

KentishMan and joshm2286 like this.
  9. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I hope they include plenty of riffs,demos,& rough mixes similar to the Puppets discs.
    Put those on vinyl!

joshm2286 and dennis1077 like this.
  10. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

Hoping for an unblasted remaster in high res and the same thing with a new mix as well. If it doesn't happen in the box, it won't ever happen (not from Met anyway).

Besides that, hopefully they drop the Seattle '89 audio from Live **** onto an audio disc. Otherwise I suspect there will be a lot of repetition in this box like the MOP one.

Also, there's that Fan Can show with a performance of Eye of the Beholder that'd be cool.

joshm2286, Vinyl Socks and dennis1077 like this.
  11. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

No harm in putting a remix with bass guitar restored in the box alongside the original mix. If the bassier version turns out to be no good, we will always have the original to listen to instead.

12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

First thing I'd love to hear from 'And Justice For All' is that actually Metallica wasn't a trio

[​IMG]

13. I think most Metallica fans love AJFA, myself included. By adding back Jason’s bass track, it might be even better? And I’d love to hear it. Releasing a remixed version with Jason up in the mix won’t kill the original version, it will just offer a view of the album through another lens. As ling as both versions would be available, I don’t see any downside in offering a remixed version with the bass guitar at a proper level. AJFA is my favorite Metallica album!

joshm2286, ralphb, coffeetime and 5 others like this.
  14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

No harm indeed, but they aren't getting over a hundred dollars for that and some vinyl I'll never play. I hope we get something that shines new light on the recording of the album, but I don't even know whether that exists.

joshm2286 likes this.
  15. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I think the most likely hope we have of a remix is a 5.1 mix, but they haven't done them for any of the other stupor deluxe sets yet so I'm not hopeful they will for this one. Will they even include the EXISTING 5.1 mix of Black on that set?

joshm2286 likes this.
  16. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

If the MoP box is anything to go by, we will be getting an awful lot for our 100 or more bucks, including demos.

joshm2286 likes this.
  17. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Well, that's encouraging. My point wasn't that Metallica was likely to let people down but that this set would have to be a lot more than an o.g. remix.

joshm2286 likes this.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

19. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Ozzy would approve - I hope you get the reference!

20. I'm by no means a Metallica fan (not that I dislike them either), but I can say with confidence that I consider AJFA their very best album. Having said that and adding the fact that I'm a bass player, that's why I'd love them to reconsider and remix the album with audible bass. I know that, according with James Hetfield, it won't happen:

"These records are a product of a certain time in life; they’re snapshots of history and they’re part of our story. OK, so …And Justice for All could use a little more low end and St. Anger could use a little less tin snaredrum, but those things are what make those records part of our history.".

At least in the case of AJFA, I would completely respect his statement if the bass mix in the album hadn't had just been the result of Lars Ulrich's huge ego-driven demands.

21. Combination

People on this site are gonna be a lot better off when they realize that a remix is ***not*** going to be the focus of a special deluxe box.

Besides, if you look hard enough, there's already one out there (cough cough)...

joshm2286 likes this.
  22. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

Obviously I do! :targettiphat:

23. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

Im not keeping my hopes up for a remix, but given the acknowledgement the gave Jason on the MOP box, maybe they'll reivindicate him with a remix, but its unlikely IMO

If there's no other proshot of the quality of Seattle from the tour, I'll love an uncut version of each Seattle night AFAIK they were two nights

If there's extended interviews with Hetfield & Ulrich about their mindset for the album, post Cliff relations between the band and their dynamic in the studio, that would be super interesting

24. sons of nothing

I realize the band said it won't be included, but things change. It should be included, as so much of what would be awesome is already out there in youtube/torrent land. This is why the band is asking for submissions. Someone out there has something awesome that would be perfect for the box set.

25. Combination

In this case, submissions mean rare photos, ephemera, audio interviews from journalists, etc. I seriously don't think they're asking people to submit a remix to them - they can handle that themselves if they want to take it on. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.