Metallica "And Justice For All" Box Set Anticipation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sons of nothing, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I know some songs where not played from the Justice album until years later but I still wouldn`t mind hearing a good live version of Dyer`s Eve or Shortest Straw.Especially since they can make this box as big as they want.

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Shortest Straw was actually played in 1990 on that European tour in May, where they did a few shows. They might have actually played it in America as well, on that show where they opened for Aerosmith in Rochester, or wherever it was.

coffeetime and steveharris like this.
  3. steveharris

It would be cool to hear it played back then.

4. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I was way into Metallica back in the mid-1980s-eary 1990s. Whenever I want to hear one of their songs I usually listen to Harvester of Sorrow.

5. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Can you imagine the effing outcry if James and Lars decides to rerecord both of those albums with Rob, a la Ozzy and his rereleases of Blizzard and Diary? I’d LOVE to watch that Metallidrama unfold.

6. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

A two disc deluxe would be cool too. Original mix on one lp and the other with Jason's bass mixed in (ala' Pearl Jam Ten Deluxe with original and Brendan O'Brien remix).

Erik B., benzo, Gila and 1 other person like this.
  7. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

I never listen to this album. Not since the week it came out. For the simple fact there is no bass. It was a ridiculous idea to release it as is. Where was the producer and label's input? Great batch of songs ruined. So I would like to hear the album with the bass, as a stand alone release. Zero interest in a remastered version of the original.

8. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident Thread Starter

Whoops...I edited out that they were looking for other stuff. I pulled a Homer...
    DOH!

9. steveharris

I wonder if they`ll pull out some other soundboard nobody`s heard?
    There`s the soundboards from Dallas & Houston,The full Seattle DVD.
    I remember the providence`89 audience tape being pretty good.Whatever it is,hopefully
    there will be as much content as the Puppets Box.

10. steveharris

Metallica played an interesting setlist at the Stone Ballroom August 7,1989 a small club/bar in Newark Delaware This was a surprise last minute type of show to make good on a promise to play in every state.They also played Alaska and Hawaii.Anyway They played plenty of old songs like Phantom Lord,Hit The Lights,Motorbreath,No Remorse,Damage Inc,Bliztkrieg.The only new song performed was Harvestor Of Sorrow,The To Live Is To Die Jam before Puppets,and a cover of Budgie`s Breadfan wich closed plenty of shows.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    John Porcellino likes this.
  11. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

I would be absolutely thrilled and satisfied with a surround sound mix on a DVD. This would probably mean the album would be remixed with the bass guitar that was (apparently) left out on stereo 2.0 as well (both on the DVD and an audio disc). I imagine a remix would be the way to go in order to sell and attract old fans, but personally I could live without it, I love the album as it is. A proper remaster of the album would be all I want along with a 5.1 mix since footage of the Justice tour is featured on the Binge and Purge box set, I think I'm all set with material from that era.

12. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

re James saying there will never be a remix released:

Metallica said they would also never do a video.

Then came One.

tkl7, sathvyre and coffeetime like this.
  13. sons of nothing

I think they released a video at the right time. They really didn't need one until they had a song that was a bit more commercial. To top that, many people read the book and knew the imagery.

14. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I was at the Birmingham, UK show in May 1990, first time I saw the band. Friend and I swapped seat tickets for standing with other on the coach on the way down and wound up on the barrier. First and last time. Aside from the insane crush and getting beer & water on us from the band, the pyros for Fade To Black were seriously hot.

Can’t remember Shortest Straw being played but just checked setlist.fm for the date and sure enough, Shortest Straw was definitely played. Shows what I can actually remember!

If one of those U.K./European dates are in the SDE I might just spring for it, ditto if there’s a decent sounding Donington 1991 recording on the Black album.

15. sons of nothing

Did they have a taper section during this era? Regardless, it wouldn't have stopped me if I taped back then.

16. Combination

Only at one single show, and who knows why they even did it just on that one occasion. It was at one of the Cow Palace '88 shows. A friend of mine was there and saw a guy bring in a boom box to tape it!

17. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

I'd like to see them include the Grammy performance of One on a DVD. I know it's out there on YouTube but it's grainy as anything and sounds like the sound is coming through a suppository microphone. If they could somehow get the original tapes from the network.

18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

over the years this has probably become my favorite Metallica album, but it so badly needs to be remixed (read: properly mixed) that a reissue without a remix is a waste of my time.

19. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Well then they’re leaving a lot of money on the table, because I for one won’t buy this box without a remix (and it better not be compressed to hell either), and I suspect I’m not the only one.

Gila likes this.
  20. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Personally speaking, a remix isn't going to help sell the box for me at all. I'm much more looking forward to what live shows (both audio and video) that they come up with.
    I'm hopeful that the overall quality will be a step above the first few sets (specifically some of the live shows on Kill/Ride).

Cooks420 likes this.
  21. Combination

They're actually not leaving a lot of money on the table. The percentage of people who are going to buy this box based on a remix of the album being a part of it is very, very low. The percentage of people on this website who are interested is high, but obviously that is missing the overall.

Cooks420 likes this.
  22. Combination

They have an amazing amount of stuff to choose from, so this is absolutely why I really want this to be a special set. If they do a remix of the album, great, but I am so much more worried about seeing cool footage of certain shows, and I've got at least 10 in mind. :agree:

Cooks420 and FourWalledWorld like this.
  23. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

To each their own but all the live stuff and demos and whatnot will not convince me to buy unless I can hear a proper mix of the album in the set as well.

iworkatinitech and Gila like this.
  24. Combination

Then it's not really going to be up your alley. C'est la vie.

25. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

I’ve said this before on these boards - while a remix of ...AJFA with Jason would be interesting to hear as a curiosity, I have a funny feeling people like me who grew up with - and worshiped - this album will undoubtedly go back to the original mix because it’s familiar in a nostalgic sense, and the Jason mix will sound “wrong.”

Jaap74 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.