New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

Amazon.ca has DSOT available for 34.08cdn including tax at the moment. Best I've seen so far.

2. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Hi guys! I'm listening a EU copy of DSoT and the 2nd Side sounds terrible, kind of feedback on the higher frequencies . Do you have the same issues?

BlackCircleVinyl likes this.
  3. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

They never played the reprise after Time during the '87-89 tours.

andrewskyDE and brfloydfan like this.
  4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Slightly off topic -
    I recently saw the latest cd remaster of DSOTM at a pharmacy - of all places - for $7.99
    I almost bought it for fun, but have so many other versions.
    Is it worth checking out?

5. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

I bought it "for fun" two years ago (Christmas time) for €5 at a local shop. It's nice but I prefer the Sax remaster and the original Japanese mastering

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  6. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I got a EU copy of DSOT and i'm getting some pretty insane distortion during the intro and outro guitar parts on SORROW... Soon as the intro ends it sounds perfect again. soon as the outro starts the distortion starts again. Anyone else seeing this ?

7. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Me too! The entire 2nd Side is like this! I'm afraid if I exchange for another copy is very likely that it would have the same problem! It's so sad because the rest is a very good pressing and enjoyable sound!

Opeth likes this.
  8. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

Folks, thank you so much for reporting this issue. I just found out today that unfortunately my copy (bought at US Amazon) has the same issue. As soon as the guitar for "Sorrow" starts there is a lot of high frequency noise. It seems that this is related to the actual vinyl cutting so I bet the whole batch is like that.

jonnyslb and Opeth like this.
  9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I was using my AT150sa when I noticed it, swapped to my 2mblue and same thing. I was hoping the stylus profile or something else might be affecting it but I guess not.

Javier Santivanez and jonnyslb like this.
  10. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

Today I was thinking, that with all this vinyl resurgence we are getting into an era where "Sealed copy" might not be a desired feature for future collectors anymore. By knowing what is going on with many pressings, in 10 years time I will prefer a NM, unwarped, centered copy, than a potentially bad sealed one. I think that there are a lot of great new pressings out there, but the lack of consistency in quality control is amazing. I think that at least 30% of the vinyl I purchase needs to be exchanged (most of the time because they are warped).

11. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Had bad luck with last 2 floyd reissues, they just put COGDS in a box and it got dented to crap on the way here bouncing all around the record is awesome though, flat and centered cover is junk though. Now there's a pressing defect on DSOT...

12. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Absolutely Right! Before pressing a huge quantity of copies they should test the 1st copies to see if everything is ok, and also doing something so simple as insert vinyls in polyethylene sleeves instead of paper inner sleeves! This avoid many copies to be scratched between the factory and the buyer!

Javier Santivanez likes this.
  13. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

The only time I leave copies sealed is if I have another and I know there was no pressing defects or other problems. Out of the hundred of lps I have maybe 6 are sealed lol.

14. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Even if you have another opened mint copy, the sealed one could be defective.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  15. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Sure but if you have 2 or 3 others you've played and see around the web what's going on and see no issues with a certain album. Chances are slim.

16. Norco74

If you say so... I never keep sealed back up.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    BlueSpeedway likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sealed has never been prefered by me. Unfortunately, none of the big 3 will open, inspect and playgrade trouble looking areas..

Sealed records are for sissies :D

18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Don't know, but don't waste your money on their 2014 Endless River album. 53 minutes of my life I will never get back! :hide:

19. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I get what your saying there is always a chance and I only do it after seeing numerous samples of the lp in question. I think we mostly agree on the topic of keeping sealed albums though !

Norco74 likes this.
  20. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

My dad who for a time worked in an auto salvage yard used to say "used parts are tested parts" and I try to apply that philosophy to vinyl purchases. Buying sealed is a gamble that can produce nice player copies, or often mis-pressed, dished out disappointment. Buying playgraded from a seller you trust is the best way to nice player copies in my experience, or finding the good 'uns in the used bin.

Buyers should know to beware with sealed "old stock" of course, but it's a shame that buyer confidence can't be higher in brand new product coming out. Especially limited edition, Record Store Day type product.

Also, some way to effectively clean vinyl is pretty much a must for buyers, some of the stuff on new pressings is nasty.

And then a vinyl flattening device.

Then you can finally listen to 'em! :righton:

That being said, and to bring it back to PF, I've been almost completely happy with the pressings in this reissue series. I've got some Optimal, some RI, couple of the RTIs. My faves are Piper, The Wall, Wish You Were Here (BG cut) and Saucerful. I think I had two problems overall, one with an Optimal and one with an RI. Sellers made it right in both cases.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  21. Norco74

Considering the poor/non-existing QC process of some pressing plant or runs, keeping anything sealed is just gambling. I am not a fan of keeping backups of the same pressing anyway. I prefer having different pressings as backups.

BlueSpeedway and zinan like this.
  22. Norco74

IMO, it was a nice “au revoir” from the band leftovers. They won’t get back to it for sure! Sorry to hear you didn’t appreciate the effort. I would spin this one over before any of their compilation... Fits nicely with TDream, Ashra, Klaus Schulze, Eno and the likes...

BlueSpeedway and zinan like this.
  23. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on Delicate and Dance, but was surprised to read here that Delicate is faulty (probably all the batch). Any other people experiencing this?
    How about Dance? Anybody got it yet?

24. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

I finally pulled the trigger on a sealed copy of the famed 30th Anniversary DSOTM a couple weeks ago. Cracked the seal, and immediately noticed it was warped... not totally surprising for a sealed 14 year old record, but it tracked fine.
    But then I heard it. During Speak To Me, there's a cluster of deep scratches.

I don't think there was any chance it was resealed. The shrink looked original and had the Made In Holland sticker on the back. So I don't suspect any foul play on the seller's part. They were nice enough to offer me a small partial refund. I went to discogs and ordered an open, NM copy immediately. I knew if I didn't replace it, I'd never get that bad taste out of my mouth. Lesson learned. No more sealed records from private sellers who can't (and shouldn't need to) make right on bad QC.

25. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

I was late to the game, my recently purchased Meddle has an annoying nipple type bump pressing fault at the start of side two, but the sound is terrific so am keeping it.

Animals next!

andrewskyDE and Opeth like this.