David Cassidy, RIP.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I only like modern music that vaguely reminds me of the 70s and 80s stuff I loved. I’ve come to terms with this now. It’s taken a lot of pressure off.:D

2. Bobby Morrow

It would have worked much better if the song had been Heroes and the old lady would have been seen complaining about the ‘loss of energy’ on the new remaster.:D

3. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I'm seeing my dad in a couple of weeks time, and taking a few CDs of music he used to like.

I feel that having probably aged him prematurely for years, I should now try and keep him young!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I still say it doesn't sound right. I just cannot believe they're playing Starman to old folks in nursing homes.
    Maybe "When I Was 64" or "My Generation" (I wish I'd died before I got old).

bob60 likes this.
  5. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Way off topic, but on the subject of Bowie I found this great interview while checking out Flo & Eddie on YouTube:

Tanx likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Does anyone know what the best Partridge Family album is? Or are they much of a muchness?

7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I will check it out next week.
    I am currently in continental Europe and only have my phone data which is getting low...

8. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Sound Magazine followed closely by Up to Date

ego1jr, zebop, Rfreeman and 1 other person like this.
  9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I would recommend a later one as David's hair is a little longer. Hairstyles are very important for pop stars in my opinion...

oldturkey and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Who made this stupid ad?
    A Vera Lynn song would have been more age appropriate....

oldturkey likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Or something by Cliff at least.:)

As I said earlier, my dad is 89 and still considers Bowie ‘modern rubbish’.

bob60 and footprintsinthesand like this.
  12. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That was the fantastic thing about growing up in the 70's, from glam rock to punk rock, your parents mostly hated the music you loved.
    I hate this thing now were the young uns are like best friends with their parents, liking the same music and going to the same concerts.
    And don't even start me on Facebook, having your parents down as 'friends'...

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Sound Magazine

thgord, Bobby Morrow and zen like this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Personally I could name 20 Cassidy sung tunes I prefer to any Bowie tune. Though Bowie of course wrote his tunes and gets props for that.

Not dissing Bowie, I just like Cassidy that much.

15. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Tanx, tommy-thewho, bob60 and 2 others like this.
  16. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Thanks - that's a very good article.

"Free at last to embrace his Hendrix roots and follow his sidelined theatrical muse, he instead popped up at a Kitchener nightclub in a fringed leather jacket, pumping out schmalzed-up "Partridge" hits and swinging his bum for a throng of hysterical women who once had posters of his androgynous face plastered on their lunch boxes."

It's almost like he sold his soul at the crossroads for fame and success - he tried to give it all up but in the end he couldn't escape his destiny.
    That song "Doesn't Somebody Want to Be Wanted" sounds bloody awful BTW.

17. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

My Mum or Dad have never once shown the slightest interest in Bowie, even through the family friendly Let's Dance era. They're in their 70s, and Glen Campbell, Tom Jones or Abba was more to their taste.

18. Bobby Morrow

I remember my mum saying Bowie had "a nice voice" once. She was more accepting of pop music in the 70s and 80s. Perhaps being 7 years younger than my dad helped. She liked music such as the Carpenters and Abba and even stuff like Donny and David Cassidy. I recall her absolutely loving Bohemian Rhapsody, which kind of came out of nowhere!

I thought it odd that she liked artists like Donny and David's Cassidy & Essex who seemed to be mainly for teenagers and below, but she'd only be in her thirties then and probably fancied them herself!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    oldturkey likes this.
  19. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Given the season, you could start with "A Partridge Family Christmas" from 1971, which actually was the biggest selling Christmas album in the U.S. in 1971. The original LP had a pretty cool, real greeting card style cover.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

The first three are pretty strong. Shopping Bag I didn't enjoy as much. I've only heard the first four.
    I looked at the track list last night and the debut just may be the best as far as my tastes go.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

The first three are great, much better than the rest. If I had to pick just one, it would be the debut.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

2 strikes against the debut are that a couple songs largely lack Cassidy and that they slightly sped up his vocals elsewhere on that album to give a more youthful sound. Great tunes otherwise.

I think Shopping Bag was their worst but they did a couple better ones after, though not at the level of 1 to 3 as they were no longer viewed as a hit making machine and were not given quite as catchy songs. I like that they started getting funkier (an element of their sound since Heartbeat) on their last couple. Interesting that the final Monkees album from that era Changes also had them move toward the funkier P.Fam. sound.

Lots of great enjoyable stuff on all of them.

23. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Listened to my fave Partridge Family comp on the way home for Thanksgiving. So much of what they did was schmaltzy and corny but somehow David's voice gave even the silliest songs a bit of pop authenticity, like they were almost a real band. Hard to be objective because I grew up with this stuff and will always hold it dear. It was my pre-teen lust for Susan Dey that got me interested in the Partridges in the first place, but those songs definitely hooked my pop-centric little mind.

Anyway - RIP David. Thanks for the memories.

snowman872, bob60 and oldturkey like this.
  24. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

That was a good interview. He comes across as a very polite, wise, slightly world-weary chap, not at all arrogant but you can tell that he's had to really process his past in his head to just deal with it - his self-analysis is very insightful. Well worth listening to if you can.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

This is the general consensus, but I think as a whole Shopping Bag is their strongest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.