Lady Bird (2017 Motion Picture)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mds, Nov 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mds

mds Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just went and watched Lady Bird the other evening, fantastic. A great movie which follows a young girls coming of age with her friends, romance, mother and family. Not a bad actor in the bunch. Was tender and believable in terms of relationships and a young girls struggles. Lady Bird pulled her part off with flying colors, a must watch movie. Yes it will play almost as well on your home TV screen as in the theater but the movie is so good it would be a true shame to wait for it to come to television, in addition you should really support this type of film by seeing it in the theater. Go see it this week before you miss your opportunity.

Robert C, Rooster_Ties, Dan C and 4 others like this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yea, looks good, but we have too many other movies that we're seeing this holiday season and movies cost too much. It's a rent me.

3. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Charming, low-key movie with interesting characters, good writing and excellent actors.

Worth seeing if you are tired of Hollywood's endless output of remakes, CG graphics, explosions, etc.

The young woman who plays the lead (Lady Bird) is outstanding.

She is actually Irish, but she just nails the American accent that you would never know it.

After seeing the movie I watched her being interviewed and just about fell off my couch when I heard her speak in her native tongue.

Robert C and mds like this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Saorise Ronan. She’s extraordinary. Check out Atonement. Fantastic actor.
    I’m going to see Lady Bird this week.

mds likes this.
  5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I was confused about whether it had something to do with first lady Ladybird Johnson.

6. mds

mds Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am only guessing but my guess is NOT. The story takes place about 2002 so based on the date and the age of the star I would doubt she was looking up to Lady Bird Johnson. A bird being free to fly and sing most likely.

beccabear67 likes this.
  7. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Normally they would try to avoid confusing titles like that, but, taking into account the passage of time, and also the decline in knowledge or caring about history, I guess they cynically feel that their demographics would not even be aware of that name from the past.

beccabear67 likes this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I just recently added this to my to-watch list. I'm a big fan of Greta Gerwig and she wrote and directed this film, so I had see it, and the positive reviews are just icing on the cake!

9. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Not as bad as what I thought it was about. When I first read the thread title, I read it as Larry Bird. LOL Had to do a quick 2nd look.

EVOLVIST and beccabear67 like this.
  10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I really love Saoirse Ronan and think she's fantastic. I'll be seeing this for sure, and I'm looking forward to her hosting SNL this coming week. Haven't really seen her do much comedy, though she had a small part in Grand Budapest Hotel, and there were some traces of humor in Hanna.

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Saw and enjoyed it. As always, I'm baffled by all those people who claim that all Hollywood produces today is superhero movies and remakes - but then they completely ignore all the films that are nothing like that.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Probably because those types of movies suck all the oxygen, publicity & BO wise, out of pop discourse that the smaller movies just get overlooked. But, as with TV shows, there is a lot of quality out there if you're prepared to seek it out.

Chris DeVoe and GullGutt like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

But the bizarre part is that the majority of the films in the theater at any moment are these smaller films.

14. agentalbert

Of all the theaters in the San Antonio area, Ladybird is showing at one that I know of. Maybe two, but I think just one. EVERY theater has Thor and Justice League, though. So unless one bothers to look at the listings for the old theater in the mall that carries the non-blockbusters, they'd never see this as an option.

15. Chris DeVoe

I really don't think that's true. Any multiplex is going to have a whole bunch of non-blockbusters. Limiting myself to the 4 theaters I can get to via the city bus here in the fairly small town of Kansas City, I could go see:

1. A Bad Moms Christmas Party
    2. Coco
    3. Daddy's Home 2
    4. Justice League
    5. Lady Bird
    6. Murder on the Orient Express
    7. Roman J. Israel, Esq
    8. The Star
    9. Thor: Ragnarok
    10. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    11. Wonder
    12. Jigsaw
    13. The Man Who Invented Christmas
    14. Novitiate
    15. The Square
    16. My Friend Dahmer
    17. Sweet Virginia
    1. A sequel of a film I didn't want to see in the first place.
    2. Animated Pixar film
    3. See #1
    4. Comic book movie
    5. Unique family comedy/drama
    6. Classic old Hollywood entertainment
    7. Movie about a lawyer with Denzel Washington
    8. Another animated film
    9. Comic book movie
    10. Completely unique film
    11. About a boy with facial deformities
    12. See #1
    13. Dickens writing A Christmas Carol
    14. Drama about nuns in the wake of Vatican II
    15. Drama about performance art
    16. Drama about Jeffrey Dahmer's high school years
    17. A former rodeo champ befriends a young man with a propensity for violence
    OK, that is a list from four theaters in Kansas City. Exactly two are comic book movies. Three are sequels. That's five out of seventeen. The other TWELVE are dramas, comedies and animated films. If I had a car, I could see so many more films with even more variety.

Stormrider77 and mrjinks like this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Chris - from that list, I would choose Three Billboards first; next, the Pixar film (unless you've already seen the "Day of the Dead" Dreamworks CGA - which will be tough to beat!); then the one about the nuns (on the surface, it looks to be the more thought-provoking one that's not Oscar-bait).

If you have a taste for overkill, I suspect Justice League will accompany your next bag of popcorn well (I didn't get as much yucks from Ragnarok as expected...that weren't already in the trailers).

I think you can hold off on the rest until after that third colonoscopy...

17. Chris DeVoe

I wasn't looking for advice (I have my wife, who has seen 430 films in the theater so far this year for that) I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of non-superhero, non-sequel films in the theater. Of those, I'd like to see Coco, Roman J. Israel, Esq, Wonder and The Man Who Invented Christmas. I've already seen Justice League, Lady Bird,
    Murder on the Orient Express, Thor: Ragnarok and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

My point is that these people who haven't been to a theater in years keep making the same dumb claim that there is "nothing but remakes and comic book movies" and it obviously is not true!

Stormrider77, BeatleJWOL and mrjinks like this.
  18. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

In 2015 Saoirse Ronan was nominated for best actress in the outstanding film, Brooklyn set in the 1950's which was also nominated for Best Picture. It's an excellent film in an otherwise climate of Marvel garbage written by & for 13 year old boys.

JohnG, mrjinks, Hightops and 2 others like this.
  19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Was THIS the theme song?:

peopleareleaving likes this.
  20. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

My wife saw Lady Bird last night and loved it. I will have to find time to see it.

21. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Nope, but it's an excellent Andy Partridge song from the mostly underrated, Mummer.

22. Dillydipper

As far as Lady Bird, lot here to please everybody.

That said, I have this theory, that "every movie is better with Greta Gerwig in it". That said, she was not in this one, BUT, she directed it. And Saorise Ronan "plays" Gerwig (in the manner every Woody Allen flick lately seems to have a lead actor "playing" Woody"). IMHO.

Ronan's been on my radar ever since Hanna, when I wondered which she would get first: an Oscar, or a drivers' license. Lights-up-the-screen, and all that.

So as always she's great in this. Laurie Metcalf is justthisclose to another Oscar nod. Love the Nunselor. But...how is this movie not just a season of Felicity? As a character study, it's terrific. The film is full of neat little touches and scenes and relationships that ring true...which, if interspersed with some sort of storyline (as opposed to just a character's progression - and NO, they are NOT the same thing!), this would be a movie worth her talents. (Kinda like Brooklyn was...before so much of it, presumably, ended up on the cutting room floor).

Lennon* said life is what happens to you while you're making other plans. This film was a likeable canvas, but I would have liked to see the other plans.

*Made it a Beatles thread - what do I win? :pineapple:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  23. Dillydipper

Or, as they say over in the Music Forum, "Nobody makes any good ______ anymore..."

Hey, tell me...out of Justice League, Thor or Lady Bird...which was the best super-hero movie? ;)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. agentalbert

I didn't say the theaters only carried comic book movies, but they (here) mostly only carry a narrow selection - the ones with significant marketing budgets. There aren't enough places that show a movie like Ladybird. Of the 9 Santikos theaters in San Antonio, it's at three, and I'm surprised its that many. I guess its getting some attention. Of the seven Regal theaters, its at two. There is only one place in town that reliably carries smaller movies, and its a dump with only five screens, lousy sound and worn out seats.

25. agentalbert

She does. If you haven't seen Atonement, which was four years before Hanna, I highly recommend it.

mrjinks, chacha and Chris DeVoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.