Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

And please allow me one other example before I close this painful discussion:

IF YOU WERE A SINGER, WOULD YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE IF YOUR RECORD COMPANY WOULD PAIR YOUR VOICE OR RECORDINGS WITH ANYONE WITHOUT ASKING YOU PERSONALLY FOR PERMISSION???!!! OR WOULD YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE IF THEY DID IT WITH YOUR RECORDINGS AFTER YOU'RE GONE???!!!
    I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

2. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

A fake duet is like colorizing I Love Lucy: why even do it? I don’t care for it and wish it wasn’t there but, like someone else said above, if it’s just enough to keep a name in the public eye and it exposes someone new to something then I am ok with it. I can then make the choice to listen/watch or not.

Meanwhile at my local antique store yesterday I found No One Cares, Only the Lonely, All the Way, and Sinatra’s Sinatra all in mint condition, all original releases, and the records look like they have barely if ever been played. I paid $4, $8, $3, and $2.50. Not bad, uh? (Trying to bring something good back to the conversation!)

3. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I don't think this is the way to do it , and I don't think Mr S would approve.
    His " art " is being diminished by this sort of thing.

peace and love✌Dave

roda12 likes this.
  4. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

At least that brought to light an alternate take of the song from Sinatra. So at least there’s that.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  5. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

This discussion is going off the rails. Let’s turn it back to Sinatra and away from sniping at each other or other artists, etc.

6. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I agree.

roda12 likes this.
  7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

(Briefly donning my SH.TV staff member hat....)

The two negative posts that were aimed squarely at individual members -- something that is, by definition, "off topic," as well as against the rules -- have been deleted.

Back on-topic, please. "Your opinion sucks" is not the topic.

Carry on.....

Daveymoore, bozburn, CBackley and 3 others like this.
  8. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Meanwhile another "Harold Arlen" has appeared on Ebay. The Australians have really been looking to cash in lately. What is holding back the Canadians? Are they the only Sinatra Collectors who still prize having a "Harold Arlen".?

MLutthans likes this.
  9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Do his kids know?

Odd that these rarities have been turning up.

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

So, anybody know who got the Ric Ross collection?

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Young people don’t even know who Seal is, do they?

12. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Yes, went off the rails! Sorry, apologize and thanks!:):shh:

MLutthans likes this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

How about "Get off my lawn!!!" ????? :laugh:

MLutthans likes this.
  14. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

:hugs:
    Same here:hugs:

roda12 likes this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

"People...people who need people...." Good stuff, guys! :wave:

MarkusGermany and roda12 like this.
  16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Unfortunately, with Sinatra, the precedent was set when he was alive. And while he isn't here to approve of these latest "duets" or not, an argument could be made in favour of the validity of these more recent "duet" recordings.

Personally, I dislike all of the duet recordings from 1993 to the present and agree that his art has been diminished by them all.

17. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

I've asked this question a couple of times recently, both here and at the Family Forum. No reply yet.

Perhaps a new "Complete Columbia" box?
    A 2nd volume of radio performances?
    The complete To Be Perfectly Frank (50's radio show, small group ensemble)?
    An odds & ends collection of:
    -Capitol & Reprise alternate takes
    -the movie songs that weren't approved in time for the Hollywood box set from 10+ years ago
    -the TV performances from his 1950's show

There is a lot to choose from! But it is a minefield in terms of clearances, publishing rights, permission from the estate, etc. I've been a member of the Family Forum for 15 years and the family has done a marvelous job of 'keeping the flame alive', so I trust that they are doing everything they can. And not to mention Chuck Granata, who is a huge advocate and a good friend of Nancy's.

18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Chuck would only be involved with things Sony related...nothing else. He is not an advocate of things UMe, BTW.

19. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Duets in general are sort of cheezy. Not always, but often. They can be really good from time to time too (Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell is a great example). But they're often prone to saccharine sentiments or some forced, predicable interactions or something. I saw the Sinatra Duets from the 90s as a kind of an experiment of sorts to open up the audience spectrum I suppose. Not a bad thing... but not something I needed. So I have yet to purchase those albums! I should, but I doubt I'd play them that much.

Postmortem duets are another thing entirely. A different beast. They "reanimate" an artist to some extent as well as offer them up to a potential new audience. I doubt the latter works, but the former is the most intriguing. Probably unnecessary to most fans, but as long as the originals are preserved, I don't care what they do.

I have those new Elvis with the Royal Philharmonic releases... and they're not bad. They do clash from time to time -- such as mixing today's auto-tuned, computerized-perfection with yesterday's natural singing. There's a duet on one of those (with someone named Helene Fischer?) that was actually quite moving.

20. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Don‘t start again...

21. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

LOL, is that what got ugly earlier?

22. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

23. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Thanks for those with the same opinion as mine. Nice to see you can voice your opinion about something on this site. I mentioned my "Yikes this is Bad" on the SFF and to say the least my opinions were not well taken.

roda12 likes this.
  24. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Sinatra's Sinatra was always low on my list of favorites. But not long ago I spun it for some reason, and realized there is more to it than at first hearing when you listen closely. I always dismissed it as a way to compete with the Columbia and Capitol material, which it certainly was. But it's more than that.

roda12 and CBackley like this.
  25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

To my ears it is better in mono. Some walk thru material but it is a fine album.

roda12 likes this.