KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

What?? I was intentionally omitted from the "the list"? :yikes:

:D

William Smart and npgchris like this.
  2. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

So, basically people (my little Paul impersonation) how does this go on? or this the end for the thread?

William Smart likes this.
  3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I think we can use this to share news items and interviews from Kiss members.

4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, that would be the best and most logical continuation here.:righton:

William Smart and bartels76 like this.
  5. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

What an esteemed group of folks to be listed with - you all know your KISS onions and then some! @npgchris, I already PM'ed you - and thanks to @ejluther for helping create our "GED of Thunder."

But a big :wave: and :righton: to all the regulars in the list. Even if we disagreed on some of the material, I heartily enjoyed your contributions, personalities, wit and bonhomie. MUCH RESPECT. Let's keep our "Journey of 1,012 Pages" rolling!

6. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I KNEW I'd make some type of list sooner or later! Figured it would more along the lines of FBI but this is cool too. Thx, npgchris!

D.B., William Smart, SammyJoe and 4 others like this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

@npgchris

I certainly don’t need a certificate. I enjoyed doing it. In fact, as I expressed before, I miss it. Yet, I’m not really willing to take on another thread of its magnitude. I’m kind of spent. I think (much to most people’s pleasure) my activity in a lot of threads is going to dissipate. I’m pretty sure every one is sick of me and my opinions at this juncture.

Thanks to everyone that participated here. YOU made this thread the success it was; not me. Few threads can rival this one in terms of participation or good vibes.

Let’s give yourself a round of applause.

LET’S GO!!!

Cooks420, ejluther, Lonesurf and 11 others like this.
  8. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I will occasionally be harassing certain people to share thoughts on the songs/albums they missed. So we may still have some occasional contributions to this thread, after all. (At least I hope so).

Speaking of... did you ever get caught up from when you took that vacation a while back? If not, please share the albums you missed. It seemed like you were gone for close to a month, I think?

9. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Well, I hope after you chill, and recharge your batteries, that you do that Van Halen thread you were talking about. I'm looking forward to learning from you, Sizzle, vambo, and dadonred (I assume he's knowledgeable, based on the avatar?) on this subject. I'm only familiar with a few of their albums and look forward to learning more (and hearing tracks I've barely ever listened to).

As for anyone who may be sick of your opinions, they can go take a hike because no one forces them to participate in a thread of yours! :laugh: (Just kidding. Well, not really!) ;)

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

We’ll talk :)

11. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Thanks Chris but I don't need one...unless I can put it on my resume when trying to get a job. Was this thread accredited?

ejluther, GodShifter and npgchris like this.
  12. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

We were denied accreditation when we applied. Although in a just world it would, I don't believe the title of "KISSologist Emeritus" will help you in your career path, unfortunately. You will, however, increase your chances of having a round of drinks purchased for you from your friends, who are bound to be impressed with your superior musical knowledge.

:cheers:

13. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Imagine if some of us were in a debate class with @Curveboy on the other side and the topic is Asylum is one of the best 80's Kiss albums; pro or con?

Curveboy, GodShifter and npgchris like this.
  14. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Con. I mean, I don't hate the album, it's sure as hell better than the next two, but it's average at best

William Smart likes this.
  15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Hey, good that you mentioned as I din't think of it at all, I was on holiday-trip back then and missed most of the Gene Simmons '78 solo-album.
    I definitely have to comment all those missing songs, I think it was "True Confessions" that reviewed and left out for while.
    Maybe I felt that Gene's album was too much to take in such short time, so I jumped back on the thread via Ace's album and then I think I have been here right until these pages..

16. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Here Here! Hear Here? How does that go now? Yeah they can take a flying hike at a rolling donut. Doughnut? What Chris said

npgchris likes this.
  17. William Smart

Why TY bro you a good homey too! I know I know shut up Smart:D

@SammyJoe I came in around Peters solo so I'm staying to finish up. Or catch up. Catsup Ketchup hmmmmm start on DTK tomorrow please join me. Pax

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  18. William Smart

I had seen that on Twitter, all I could picture in my mind is that shot of him with the kid that made a model of his kit. Decent guy. Loved the fans. For real

MagneticNorthpaw and npgchris like this.
  19. William Smart

Room Service : DTK I'm a bit partial to this album as it was really my baptism into the band as a fan. Room Service a fun song, naughty without being overtly so. Nothing really special, but a nice bass line by Gene. Peters flying along at near sonic speed and how many tracks did Ace lay down exactly? A good vocal by Paul, fun. A decent enough opener. I like it Mikey I like it!

npgchris likes this.
  20. William Smart

I found this thread on page 10! That's kinda sad. Seems like only yesterday it was always on page 1.......

21. William Smart

Uh yes welcome to my page! I will be here conversely conversing conversatingly conversating and in general generalizing as many unfounded facts as possibly possible. If in the interim and mean time anything importantly non-important gets said feel free to reply or I wouldn't be conversing at all. Thank you for your time and now back to our regular programming. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BluesOvertookMe and Lonesurf like this.
  22. William Smart

Two Timer : Gene is two for two as far as bass lines go. Nice, slow, almost grungy. Great vocals by the Demon too. Despite an almost pop feel this song comes off almost..... Menacing? Short sweet solo from Ace. Peter sounds so good on these early albums to me. Never routine, every song gets special treatment by the Cat. I like that. My baby's a two timer...... That's why I buried her in the back yard. I told you it feels almost menacing. Love it!

npgchris and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ok, here's my few quick words of the songs from Gene's '78 solo-album I missed in april:

"Living In Sin", little boring and bland relic from the 70's. Forgettable song and as always so embarrassing lyrics.
    Verses and the beginning of the song are ok, but the chorus is really bad and so makes this whole thing much worse.
    There's something though that I dig in this song, so maybe I have to revisit this and see if turns out any better.

"Always Near You/Nowhere To Hide", pretty decent tune compared to the previous song on offer.
    The first part, "Always Near You" Gene's vocals have that melancholy and also the song has decent melody going.
    Guitars sound nice and fit there to the feeling. The transition part and later song part ain't anything that special.
    The second part is not so good one and feel like somewhat incomplete try at some more glorious song.
    Does this include the highest ever notes sung by Gene that's been recorded? It has to be..

"Man Of 1,000 Faces", this seems to be one of the so called ok-songs on the album.
    Maybe it should have been done with more down to earth and back to roots like stripped production.
    But this works like this and this album seems to be case where Gene is stretching and expanding his musical boundaries.
    Some of it works, some of it doesn't..

"Mr. Make Believe", pretty basic take on the singer-songwriter going on here with stripped-down basic production.
    It also sounds very much like some impression of The Beatles. Solid and mellow song, but it just feels too much unoriginal and pastiche.

"See You In Your Dreams", perhaps a bit weird choice to re-record this one.
    A slight differences made in favour of Gene's albums..but this one is seriously lacking Ace!
    Anyways here's what I said about the RARO-version back in the day:
    See You In Your Dreams", softy little poppy rocking song with groove which almost could fit into "Dressed To Kill".
    I don't there's too much interesting happening in the song really, it's just the chorus and other stuff going, nothing really stoods out for from that song except the little solo.
    Good hooky riffs and melodies bringing out their Beatles influences, Ace does solid solo again and I love it.
    There's another version found from Gene's solo-album from 1978 but that doesn't sound that good as the RARO version does (atleast for me).

The little bonus about the solo-album version of the song is that there's the british musician/actor doing the back-up vocals, man called Michael Des Barres.
    Michael Des Barres has had career with few different bands (Silverhead, Detective, Chequered Past etc) but he's most likely known for recurring role in the 80's tv-series,
    MacGyver, where he played the MacGyver's villain Murdoc. Murdoc was great and I remember it was always a treat to see episode of MacGyver featuring him, in fact he's got to be one of the best villains ever on tv.

"When You Wish Upon A Star", I was surprised when I heard the album for the first time many years ago.
    I think he did excellent work on this song, it sounds like really heartfelt vocal and sincere. Also, it is quite touching when you think the reasons he picked this song.
    It was indeed a bit weird and bizarre song choice first, but now thinking he sings it well and also I understand the meaning and surrounding happenings that made him choose this song for the album.
    It's not too usual for musicians to surprise people and fans totally, it doesn't matter if you like it or not, that's what he then wanted to do and that basically the only thing that matters.

Eventhough this album was sort of mixed bag, I have to give some credit for Gene as he didn't play safe with it at all.
    He chose to do some experiments and took risks, some of it worked, some of it didn't work at all.
    Think Im gonna revisit this album someday and also have to listen any demo or alternative-versions of the songs.

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It only gets better with age...perfection!

25. William Smart

Get Away : Alright Ace! Practically a one man band! A nice base line by Space great guitar Peters vocals always groovy. But is it " by some way" or " by subway "? I swear I hear what sounds like an M to me. Ain't that about a B****:D

Nice to see a few people dropping in. Stay groovy! Peace

Lonesurf and npgchris like this.