Rega mm mk3 phono stage.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frimleygreener, Oct 11, 2017.

1. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

Just taken delivery of this cheap as chips phono stage(circa £200.00 UK pounds) Straight out of the box it is stunning.I have used far more expensive Graham Slee ,Chord products in this field,as well as a bargain Cambridge audio entry level stage.
    No comparison.The Rega knocks all three into a very dented top hat.You may get to audition one,if so please do...the results are nothing short of remarkable.
    Disclaimer: I have no connection with Rega apart from being a delighted customer.

2. They call me Ron

They call me Ron Forum Resident

What deck and cartridge are you using? And what amplifier?

3. frimleygreener

Rega RP6,with the Exact cartridge,powered by the latest spec Rega Brio....

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Synergy.

Dan Steele and Jwhitephoto like this.
  5. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Exactly :D ! These things are designed to work together...

Dan Steele and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. RJPDX

RJPDX Forum Resident

Great to hear, as my friend is going to buy my mk2, and I am going to "upgrade" to the third version - at least I hope it's an upgrade. I'm of course not expecting a night and day difference, but just a bit more of what I already love. And I have a highly upgraded RP3, with an Exact, and powered by the Elex-R. Can't wait.

Dan Steele likes this.
  7. Keep us posted, please

8. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

Thanks, that is great to hear as I just purchased a Rega Fono MM MK3 and Planar 6 turntable with Exact cartridge. Just waiting to pick it up from my local shop. I was looking at the Lounge as that's very popular here, but went with the Fono as it was designed for use with the Exact cartridge.

Dan Steele likes this.
  9. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

The Exact is a very nice cartridge! I listen to records on my system hours on end and I never tire of the way the music is presented. No better choice (MM) for a Rega turntable and phono stage.

dbsea likes this.
  10. s13coupe

s13coupe Well-Known Member

How much better is it than the onboard Brio phono? I was under the impression there was no material difference from the onboard phono and the rega mm mk3

11. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

I don’t know, but Bill (KT88) would. He’s a Rega dealer.

KT88 likes this.
  12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Fono MM is noticeably better.
    -Bill

13. frimleygreener

Rega owners with "speed" issues might like to try the Edwards "Little Belter"....for the first time my table speed is now "exact". Not an expensive bit of kit,and it seems to do the trick:)

14. RJPDX

RJPDX Forum Resident

I can't speak to the difference between those two exactly - but I did just sell my mk2, and am temporarily listening to the built in phono stage in my Elex-R until I get my mk3. At first I was pretty impressed with the built in as it wasn't as much of a drop off as I was expecting, but after a few more sides, it became pretty obvious that the stand alone amp was better. To me, it just sounds more refined, and the soundstage is much bigger (like the aural equivalent of 3D vs 2D). But if I had never heard the mk2, I would probably be pretty happy with the built in stage.

KT88 likes this.
  15. RJPDX

RJPDX Forum Resident

Okay, I just got my new Rega Fono MK3 yesterday, and I have to say my initial impressions are not good (admittedly only after about 6 sides so far). It seems tipped up in the high frequencies. I have a highly upgraded RP3 with Exact, and powered by an Elex-R. At first I was like, holy crap am I getting more details, and hearing deeper into the recording . . . but then I started to hear a bit of a grainy edge to the highs that I think will be very fatiguing in the long run. I of course will let it run in for a lot more hours before making a final decision whether or not to keep it, but I am definitely disappointed initially.

PATB likes this.
  16. Keep us posted. Hope it works out for you

17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I love my MKII with RP6/Exact.

dbsea, Ntotrar and Fishoutofwater like this.
  18. RJPDX

RJPDX Forum Resident

Yeah, I loved my MKII as well, and should have left well enough alone, but you know how that upgrade bug bites you . . . but if I do end up returning the new model, the MKII's come up for sale fairly often, and I won't be out much money - so it will just be lesson learned. And for those with a warmer/laid back system, the new MK3 version might be just the ticket to get more detail, but the highs are just a bit too much with my gear. And I have the built in stage in my amp, so I can be patient.

19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Leave your new preamp on. It takes a couple of days to warm-up, maybe three, no kidding. No reason to ever turn it off as its energy use is extremely small. It'll smooth out as it warns-up over a few days.
    -Bill

20. RJPDX

RJPDX Forum Resident

Good advice Bill - I have had it on all day today (and about 15 hours yesterday), and will leave it on for the next couple of days, and then maybe Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll sit down and give it a serious critical listen, and see if the highs have calmed down a bit.

21. Chris_Lee

Chris_Lee Member

Hi RJPDX, did the amp settle down after a few more hours use?

Also, has anyone compared this amp with th Schiit Mani? I'm undecided between to the 2 but I'm not able to audition the Schiit where I live. Many thanks

22. RJPDX

RJPDX Forum Resident

I let it burn in for about 100 hours, probably played 15-20 records, and I still felt the highs were over emphasized, and the bass missing the warmth and punch of the previous version. Maybe it would have come around at some point, but I gave up and returned it. I found a used MK2 for a great price, so I'm right back where I started, which is fine, and I'm not out any money. I've never heard the Schiit Mani, but I am tempted to order a Parks Audio Budgie. Obviously everyone's ears and systems are different, but I definitely like the previous version of the Rega Fono (the 2nd version) to the newly released one, and they come up for sale on the used market pretty often. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Chris_Lee likes this.
  23. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Very happy with the Fono MkII which I have used with both the Ortofon 2m Bronze and Rega Exact 2 with great results.

I am thinking an Aria may be my next step depending on what MC cartridge I eventually move to for my RP6...that is a couple years away though.

24. Chris_Lee

Chris_Lee Member

Thank you for your reply RJPDX. That's really useful to know. I'll have read up on the Parks Audio Budgie too. Good luck to you for your upgrade too

25. plimpington2

plimpington2 Forum Resident

For what it’s worth, I never turn off any of my solid state devices. There’s no reason not to run your Rega Fono Mk3 24/7 indefinitely. . .