"Roll Up!"; 50th Anniversary of Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mBen989, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

The only thing it's missing (like Pepper) is one more great Lennon tune to balance things out.

2. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

This was the first album I bought with my own money - and I bought it because it came with a booklet. I think I was 8 or 9. I still find myself reaching for this one most often when I want to play a Beatles record

John Porcellino and wgriel like this.
  3. slane

slane Forum Resident

The CD is closer to the Horzu yes, but actually the same contents as the UK cassette from 1973.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. owsley

owsley Senior Member

We can never have enough Beatles threads on this forum, no apologizes necessary

A few random thoughts on MMT:

1) I never ever saw mono copies of the MMT album in stores anywhere when it came out. I never knew it existed in mono until years later when I saw it listed in a rare record price guide
    2) Except for the rather lame Blue Jay Way, I loved the MMT songs. I was so disappointed with the overall mediocre quality of the Sgt Pepper compositions, MMT songs to me were much better
    3) The US Capitol MMT lp is one of their best ever 'butcher' jobs. Side 2 is one of my most often played Beatles album sides of all time
    4) You still need the original US MMT vinyl to get the stereo mix of Strawberry Fields which has never been issued on CD
    5) Never cared much for the film. It's boring and not very funny. However the Walrus sequence is better than 99% of what I've seen on MTV

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It’s never been one of my faves. It has always felt slapdash in the way it was put together...which it was, really. Oh, I like every song and all, but it’s a pastiche-not of a whole-and not like what they were doing before or after for lps.

This and Yellow Submarine and Let it Be are the lazy low points, for me. IMO, of course.

6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member Thread Starter

Okay, my dad came home from work one day and told me there was something one of his work mates had found that he thought I would be interested. It was this album, a water damaged orange label pressing. I've since replace it with a green label since I thought it would be higher up the quality chain. I also have its three CD versions (87 and 09/09/09 mono and stereo).

Do I like the album? More than Sgt. Pepper, I'll add. Of course, any album with "The Fool on the Hill", "I Am the Walrus" , "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Penny Lane" and "All You Need is Love" deserves regular rotation. (In fact, starting this thread made me pull out the 09/09/09 stereo CD from that monolith known as The Beatles in Stereo.)

Mono or stereo? I lean towards stereo.

Also of Interest? "Blue Jay Way", "Baby, You're a Rich Man" and "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)"

7. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Trying to figure ot why this is not being described as a compilation?

It is no more an "album" than the hodge podge creation that is Yellow Submarine.

Now the E.P. (s) are another story. Much more cohesive.

8. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

Perhaps the only underrated or underAppreciated Beatles album ?

9. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Always enjoyed the album. I was three when it came out though LOL, but I vividly remember my brother and cousins playing the record on 78 RPM to hear the hidden messages in Strawberry Fields :) I bought the Stereo reissue the one that shows the label misprint of George Harrison as the composer of Baby You're a Rich Man

10. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

It's probably semantics, but my guess is because the "main guts" of the album is the MMT EP with five "bonus cuts" that happened to be previously non-LP singles. Technically, only Side 2 of the LP can be called a compilation.

TonyR and Hardy Melville like this.
  11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This was one of the first CDs I bought, and for a long time it was the only Beatles CD I owned (having most of their other albums on other formats).

The first I heard some of the songs from it were actually on the US compilation album Reel Music.

I sometimes watch the film on Boxing Day (well, at least the music parts). Probably will this year, since it will be the 50th anniversary.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

'Only' Side 2 is quite a bit though.

13. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Only a million more certified than Meet The Beatles, and largely in part to it being available on cd for for 27 years prior to MTB becoming available on cd individually, and by that time we were past the cd era as the primary music source.
    MTB sales on vinyl was I believe their most popular Capitol album, and had it been released in 87 on cd as MMT was, it would have been huge.

14. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

True, but an album is a cohesive all original output that was not previously released. Physical Graffiti is an example of hodgepodge but still an album (double actually), because it was still forward moving in part and all not previously released. Now Coda, is compilation because it is a step backward because the BAND didn't work on it....that and it came several years later. My rules, I make them up. ;)

As for Mystery Tour....a half side is not "bonus". Bonus shouldn't make up equal parts.

The Beave likes this.
  15. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Pure imagination, limitless possibilities, creativity without boundaries. The full flowering of the psychedelic dream. For this one moment it all seemed possible. The songwriting, the instrumentation, the love, the whimsy, the colors. I love every note. Pepper was the mission statement, but MMT is the reflection of that beautiful Summer of Love coming to pass.

16. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Despite the fact that this was essentially a "compilation" album, I agree with some other posters that these songs really flow together well. None of the songs really sound out of place. A lot of these songs were still getting airplay in the late 1970s-early 1980s, even more so than many of the Sgt. Pepper songs, and this was even before the Beatles came out on CD. I remember one time at a carnival, one of the "scarier" amusement rides was blasting Magical Mystery Tour at top volume as people spun around on the ride while other people in line were singing along and dancing. It was the perfect song to play!

17. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I don't know...Hello Goodbye with I Am the Walrus?? The "bonus" stick out like a sore thumb. To me the only wat to listen to the Beatles story is by release date of Singles outside of throw togethers.

Now Rubber Soul....powerful exception.

18. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I got MMT for my 7th birthday back in December of 1967 (the stores were sold out of Sgt. Pepper). I still have that LP, although I didn't take very good care of it over the years. I remember being baffled by some of the lyrics to "I Am the Walrus" (I had never heard of the Hare Krishna movement, the Eiffel Tower, or Edgar Allen Poe.) It is still my favorite Beatles album, for sentimental reasons if nothing else.

19. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Because I imagine, it is the only original unique Capitol album that has stayed in print since release.

Maffune and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

'I Am the Walrus' - incredibly weird lyrics combined with incredibly weird music and effects, and somehow it all seems to make sense.

21. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Well, I don't think that necessarily makes it the most famous, but obviously a lot of this is just semantic quibbling.

22. Price.pittsburgh

It became UK canon as a full album in the 70s.
    This is why it was an easy decision to release it as a cd album.

Maffune and mr.datsun like this.
  23. Price.pittsburgh

It's part of the official UK list or canon of Beatles albums.
    Was accepted as such in the 70s which allowed for it to be released as a cd album in 87

Maffune and mr.datsun like this.
  24. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Always loved it. Still do.

I have a '71 Apple (spine has the Capitol logo) - I guess that's what it is. Has the book and plays pretty well. Also have the MoFi. Been a long time since I've listened to either.

mr.datsun likes this.
  25. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I got this album sometime my freshman year in college-1977 for a discount price. I knew all the songs that had been on the BLUE ALBUM, which my girlfriend had, and it was nice to get all those songs, but the real find on this album was "Baby You're A Rich Man". I'd never heard it before and loved the unique sound and the two different parts.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.