The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

No, not another thread to hang at!!!!! :) Had not seen that, thanx. What I was most surprised at though was that it seemed to be easily found on RSD, which is cool, but the Evans releases that they did the past few years were impossible to find unless you were in-line the night before and the flippers were selling them for offensive prices the same day.

jay.dee likes this.
  2. AxiomAcoustics

Anouar Brahem: Blue Maqams

Anouar Brahem: Oud
    Django Bates: Piano
    Dave Holland: Bass
    Jack DeJohnette: Drums

This has been knocking me out this weekend, just a mesmerizing performance. It is indeed in the melancholic and mournful vein compared to some of his more upbeat albums but it's never morose. Maqamat are melodic arabic modes for improvising so let's call this his "Kind Of Blue" in ways. He and Holland have produced beautiful music before (the one with John Surman is excellent) and the addition of Jack is welcome as he's able to convey these musical stylings while giving it a Jazz aesthetic. Loverly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soulpope, Six String, Marzz and 7 others like this.
  3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Thank you - but I'm resisting, even if those Impulse! SACDs on that list are calling - no - screaming my name.

4. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Yup. Single dad-can’t buy this tuff so close to Xmas.... hope they have another sale in like February...

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  5. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Nice! Loving this vinyl set...

Voltaire and charlesp like this.
  6. AxiomAcoustics

My local NPR station said that if you just give up one Caramel Machiatto per day.....:laugh: Yeah, it is sort of bad timing. Full disclosure: I did discuss it with "The Boss" and this will certainly be going under the tree, saves her time...and money. Almost like a layaway. I also promised to not order anything from the "livephish" sale ending tonight.

Bobby Buckshot and MagicAlex like this.
  7. AxiomAcoustics

Fantastic isn't it? So you got the double LP? The cd sounds incredible, I may check that out though if it's worthwhile as it's a favorite for the year. After Xmas of course.

Voltaire likes this.
  8. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I’m not as wise as you. I didn’t discuss it with the ‘boss’. :eek: I am just hoping that I can intercept the mail before she does. :D

9. AxiomAcoustics

Archie Shepp and the Full Moon Ensemble: Live In Antibes (Vols 1 & 2)

Archie Shepp: Tenor Saxophone, Piano, Voice
    Clifford Thornton: Trombone
    Alan Shorter: Flugelhorn, Voice
    Joseph Dujean: Guitar
    Beb Guerin: Bass
    Claude Delcloo: Drums

Recorded live at the Antibes Juan Les Pins Jazz Festival, July 20, 1970. Just a tad different than the one put out by Ella and Duke just four years earlier from the same fest. Structured similarly to a Cecil Taylor Unit performance.

[​IMG]

10. AxiomAcoustics

I did that today with some Prestige reissues! But it's good to throw a bone every once in a while :hide:

MagicAlex likes this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Glad I've been single for over 20 years now :) I promised myself never to get "involved" again when my then-girlfriend and I separated after 13 years, and I kept my promise. The separation killed my LP collection, but it has done my CD collection a lot of good, without the secrecy many others seem to need. Oops, sorry to go off-topic ;)

12. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Your wish just might come true. Flipping through the latest Music Direct catalog's MFSL section under Miles Davis and there is an illustration of the Miles Smiles cover with the "Original Master Recording" banner sub headed 180g LP or SACD. Pretty good indication there's one on the way.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, it has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum. Thanks.

14. Bobby Buckshot

Smart man. You also benefit from a single payer health system and so don't have to confront exorbitant medical bills after an impromptu visit to the local hospital. Sigh :(

Anyway, currently soothing my soul with Cal Tjader's Latino

[​IMG]

This is on CD which is strangely not listed on Discogs (at least all I can find is LP listings). Great ensemble playing and Willie Bobo rocking those timbales.

15. Bobby Buckshot

Over this past holiday weekend I got to listen to these as well:

Andrew Hill's Point of Departure

[​IMG]

Jay & Kai on the '92 US CD; with Mingus, Lewis & Safranski on bass; Kenny Clarke, Shadow Wilson & Tiny Kahn on drums; Wally Cirillo, Hank Jones & Lou Stein on piano; Billy Bauer guitar; Leo P on bari; & Al Young bongos.

[​IMG]

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm not a US citizen, so that doesn't apply to me. We have a very different health care system in the Netherlands.

MagicAlex and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  17. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

At least your 'boss', 'mommy' or whatever you want to call it lets you play around with audio equipment and music. I bet you can even have some LPs and CDs on visible display in your living room. I have seen men castrated root and stem in this respect by a spouse indifferent to music. Unbelievable what people are willing to put up with.

18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Sonny StittSonny Stitt & the Top Brass (Atlantic Records / Collectables)
    — Sonny Stitt – alto saxophone; Reunald Jones, Blue Mitchell, Dick Vance – trumpet; Jimmy Cleveland, Matthew Gee – trombone; Willie Ruff – French horn; Duke Jordan – piano or Perri Lee – organ); Joe Benjamin – bass; Frank Brown or Philly Joe Jones – drums; Tadd Dameron, Jimmy Mundy – arrangers.

[​IMG]

19. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

It is a beautiful album and a strong contender for my jazz album of the year!

I am spending the next few weeks reminding myself of the jazz albums that have been released this year before I do my annual review for my website & blog and various music forums...any suggestion for albums I may have missed greatly appreciated.

charlesp likes this.
  20. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I just ordered this after streaming it a couple of times. I love that cover photo. It looks like Eliot Porter.

ultron9 and Voltaire like this.
  22. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

THELONIOUS MONK / LIVE AT MONTEREY JAZZ FESTIVAL '63 VOL.1 / STORYVILLE / 1963 / MOBILE FIDELITY SOUBD LAB 24K GOLD CD UDCD 685

[​IMG]

PERSONNEL: CHARLIE ROUSE (TENOR SAXOPHONE); THELONIOUS MONK (PIANO); JOHN ORE (BASS); FRANKIE DUNLOP (DRUMS)

23. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

24. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Sun Ra - Lanquidity

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ultron9, jiffypopinski, Marzz and 6 others like this.
  25. [​IMG]

Pepper Adams Quintet - Pepper Adams Quintet (V.S..O.P. / Mode) CD
    with
    Pepper Adams (baritone), Stu Williamson (trumpet), Carl Perkins (piano), Leroy Vinnegar (bass), Mel Lewis (drums)

Recorded 1957