"Roll Up!"; 50th Anniversary of Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mBen989, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

One of my favorite albums. Just a fun listen. I found a nice Capitol Mono pressing a couple of years ago.

2. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I'd like to give belated congratulations to Capitol Records for putting together a bloody marvellous record. I had the 2xEP set from the day of release, that was still in pristine condition 10 years later until my son, bless his artistic heart, decided to use it as a colouring book! Back to the MMT LP/CD, I think this is my most played Beatles record after Revolver. Whether it's looked upon as a 'proper' record or a 'greatest hits' dosen't matter any longer and detracts from the fact it's a great record.

garrincha likes this.
  3. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

I barely heard the news, Vintage LA posted it at like 11:30 giving me a little time to jam it. I have a very low stamper US mono, my favorite of the progressive beatles lps

4. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

It's a great record, agreed. But I'm not sure Capitol did anything particularly imaginative putting it together.

5. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

It's a fun package overall. I think you are right that song-wise they (Capitol) just slapped together what was on the "soundtrack" EP and grabbed the most recent handful of singles to pad out a full LP (if I understood you correctly), but the flow is good and it has the Beatles doing the thing where "happy Paul" songs (Penny Lane, YMSK, Hello Goodbye) and "moody John" songs (SFF, Walrus) both contribute to the album's unique "vibe." There's even a "moody George" song (maybe the weirdest song he ever did with The Beatles). They must have actually paid a professional to do the comic book because it does not seem like fan-art, and this is the only album I've ever seen come with a comic book in it. And it's not just a page or two either, it's like 20 individual drawings. The accompanying pictures of The Beatles have them doing what looks like funny Monty-Pythonesque skits -- Paul in the military uniform, John shoveling spaghetti, dressed up as wizards, etc. (The pictures give the impression that the movie was funnier than it actually was in my opinion.) I don't know if this album was more expensive than others at the time, but I assume it probably was, and it certainly came with some interesting "bonus material."

Fender Relic likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

got it on street date STEREO of course loved it then and now just as much...

musicfan37 likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Baby, You're A Rich Man-No other Beatles song has as much bass response as this....INCREDIBLE! coming in 2nd is Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey...

Gramps Tom and Luke The Drifter like this.
  8. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

I like very much this album, better than Sgt Pepper.
    All these songs were performed in 1967, as well as the album Pepper...
    Can you imagine the super album that this could have been?

Crimson jon and fishcane like this.
  9. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

So, where did you first hear this album? In college, when I purchased the '87 CD.
    What did you think? A good collection of songs that seems like a less cohesive album than Pepper before it.
    Has this opinion changed? No.
    How many copies do you own? 2 - the '87 stereo CD, and the '09 mono box CD (this one has a nice recreation of the booklet).
    Do you like the mono mix or the stereo? Both, no clear preference, which is not the case with the pre-Revolver albums where I mostly prefer the mono mixes, except for A Hard Day's Night and Beatles For Sale (the stereo seems more "alive" on these).

Here's how I might re-jigger MMT for a possibly more satisfying listen:
    How would you have released the Magical Mystery Tour-era songs?
    Happy 50th Anniversary, Magical Mystery Tour! :cheers:

10. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

You mean like a monster double album? New Beatles thread!!! :D

Carlox likes this.
  11. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Bingo! ;)

12. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I always thought some of the songs on MMT were the best sounding. Found out later they're the ones not recorded at Abbey Road (and I'm NOT slamming Abbey Road). The bass sound they got at Olympic(?) was just...Olympian.

13. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Ahh yes who can forget the all time Beatles classic strawberry hills ;)

The Elephant Man likes this.
  14. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Ramen to that!

15. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Strawberry Hills! Forever! :)

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Later tonight will watch the VHS video release on my flatscreen w 4:3 picture format with B&W setting on!

17. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Never been a very big fan of the album. Once had a Parlophone stereo copy on yellow vinyl and got rid of it at some point. Later found a mono Capitol pressing that I've kept.

18. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Had a hankerin' to hear Penny Lane this morning so I got out my MMT mono reissue and had a great time with the album in full. Always thought this was a great LP but never liked the video much. The album booklet is a nice extra. The bass on mono RI Flying is overload on my system,ticks me off. There's one note in particular that bloats badly. Not there on my weak orange Capitol stereo version.

19. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

That was my reaction exactly. If the film was more like the comic, it would have been a lot better.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

21. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

So true - the pictures made the film look much better than it really was.

22. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I first saw the film as a double feature with The Concert for Bangladesh at a midnight showing sometime in 1976. I loved all the songs, but thought the film rather strange. I received the album on my birthday that December. It's one of my favorite Beatles albums. I even prefer it to Pepper.

andybeau and Fender Relic like this.
  23. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

AMEN!

MisterPleasant, gramfan and Michael like this.
  24. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

First Beatle album I bought with my own money because I thought the cover was cool!

Still love it, and as several have stated, I like it better than Pepper.

And...irregardless of what the purist think...in my house it will always be considered a "real" and "official" Beatles album!

25. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

But he makes a strong, valid point to back up his assertion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.