Neil Young Harvest Moon 2XLP Reissue for Record Store Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviethan, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. @chacha is referring to Decade from the 70s. The new one is from last year.

2. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

got my RSD 'harvest moon' from sonicboom for $28.99 …. i was just walking home from union station, and popped in to check out their used bins, not thinking i'd actually see any copies left …… there were at least 5 displayed (on sunday night)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Not bad at all, that’s a great price.

polchik likes this.
  4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Spinning this now. It’s a beautiful pressing and so far it sounds very nice. I am getting a tad distortion in a few spots on Unknown Legend, but I guess it’s due to cart set up, or limitations of my amp? Either way it’s not enough to ruin the listening experience for me. I guess it will get better when I upgrade, but I can’t say I’ve had issues with other pressings...

No sibilance at all with this pressing. I know it’s not a remix, but I’d swear something is different compared to my CD version. For instance when the chorus kicks in on From Hank To Hendrix I’d swear the vocal levels were different compared with the CD.

Nice purchase overall, happy to have it in the collection as it’s one of my all time favourite albums.

5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

No I’m not

6. chacha

Yeah I have the Classic pressing of it as I recall. Maybe from 10 years ago?

7. ok never mind then.

8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Which cuts sound better on the original pressings compared to the Greatest Hits (One-Step)?

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

12 years ago. I have one too. Neil Young - Greatest Hits

chacha likes this.
  10. chacha

I can’t really recall. It’s been ages since I’ve listen to it. I do remember cinnamon girl was one .

11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I have the Classic Greatest Hits +7". It was the first Neil Young LP I ever bought. It inspired me to hunt down originals of all his early albums and I found some nice ones. The Classic still holds up extremely well in comparison IMO.

12. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Opened mine today. Into side 2 now and the recording is nice. Quality wise...Both records look manhandled. Should play though. Side 3 is the worst looking. Win some/loose some.

13. Would like the hit LP but I think I would get the Reprise over the Classics

14. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

the other night i thought i heard a tad of distortion too (analog grunge) where folks were mentioning but on a 2nd listen (just now) i have to say that i am not hearing it, and i had it quite loud. it is certainly a peak in regards to the overall loudness of the track, but there was nothing grungy or sibilance-like (as described in the discogs comments) about it this time, it sounded smooth. the only difference tonight is that my tubes have been running all day, as compared to the 5 minutes they had been on for the other night.

i do hear actual sibilance on 'war of man' though. "it'SSSSS a war of man … "

i'm running my all purpose groovemaster stylus btw

i don't encounter sibilance often. the last time was the recent nick cave "lovely creatures" best of … on "red right hand", a track with a lot of extra treble content

hopefully this is something i can get rid of changing carts. (i'll definitely give this NY track a spin when i do just out of curiosity)

overall though, i am very pleased. it's a wonderful listening experience.

i'm ready n waiting for 'ragged glory' and 'weld' …. CB is the man!

oh i forgot to mention i encountered a skip on side B, i can't even remember which track now, as a 2nd going over with a carbon fibre brush dealt with that issue. it's dead quiet too without a spin clean. looking forward to giving it a once over though and get rid of those paper inners.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  15. Vinyl Fan 1973

This has to be one of the nicest pressings I’ve seen and heard in a long time. Although you wouldn’t have guessed that by looking at the LPs when they came out of those crap sleeves. I’ll never understand why companies use those inner sleeves, all they do is scuff the vinyl and they are dirty.

Thankfully they cleaned up nice, both LPs are flat and CD silent. I’m really enjoying listening to this on vinyl.

Cassius and polchik like this.
  16. I guess because most vinyl records came in paper sleeves since the 1950s. Only a very small portion were ever issued in plastic or poly lined sleeves.

Some Columbia in the late 60s (Dylan Byrds etc) and mostly classical. But hardly rock and roll at all until the audiophile labels .

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Side 4 is the worst for me. Someone scratched the hell out of it, although the song is pretty cool...

18. chacha

I’ve never had a problem with paper sleeves. Most LPs seem pretty resilient to me.

19. chacha

Picked up a copy over the weekend. I have an original German copy bought new around 25 years ago or whenever the album came out. The new one is “warmer” sounding which gives the background vocals more prominence which is nice. My original is more open and detailed with a bit more top end and spatial information. A cooler tonal balance which I’m guessing is how the album was recorded. Bellman has warmed up the recording nicely but there’s also less air than on my original.
    So yet again, I can’t get rid of one or the other!

20. chacha

Yes agreed. It’s really hard to put into words just how bad side 4 is.

Jam757 likes this.
  21. canada_toque

canada_toque Forum Resident

Damn it. I totally expected this to sell out in Toronto. But then again, I've still got hundreds of copies of MY band's albums in my basement so maybe this town don't know good music, harrumph, etc.

polchik and chacha like this.
  22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The original Greatest Hits was on Classic Records and does sound better. I would say that you should have both in your collection to get a fairly complete sweep of NY's career up to the 90's.

23. I have all the original LP pressings purchased as they were released so I may or may not grab the hits album. I’m sure if I stumble upon it I’ll grab it though .

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Was it first, or the Reprise I have, and reference above ?

25. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Classic was definitely 1st. From memory I started seeing the Reprise show up 2-3 years later as Classic began to fade away.

Myke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.