My McCartney Years DVD won't play - Anyone else have this problem

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I purchased this set when it was first released. I have played it from time to time and it played OK.
    Well I pulled it off the rack the other day, and discs 1 and 2 won't play anymore. Has anyone else had a problem with their DVD? It seems like some sort of DVD rot. The disc is clean, but it has a Gold tint to it.

2. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

I checked the discs in my Macca Years DVD set and they play fine. I'd never heard of rot affecting DVD's just CD's. Gonna check my other DVD's as its got me quite worried.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's the same thing. These things degrade over time due to a variety of factors. If you're really concerned about it, rip the discs for backup.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's possible that you can rip the DVD to a video file and watch it on the computer. The alternative is to just try a different DVD player and see if one plays it better than the other.

alexpop and longdist01 like this.
  5. white wolf

I thought about the other DVD player. But then I put the discs into the computer, and tried DVD Shrink. I got an error message on both of the discs, so I am sure that something happened to the disc. They have been kept on a shelf with my other DVD in an air conditioned, non smoking home. I have 4
    places that I store my DVDs with almost 1000 DVDs. Lots of Box sets. Never had a problem like this.

John Grimes likes this.
  6. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe it is a trick by Paul so he can rerelease the DVD and get you to buy it again! :biglaugh:

longdist01 likes this.
  7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I've had about a dozen or so DVDs just stop working over the years. Lord only know how many I have sitting on the shelf right now that won't play and I just don't know it yet. They're like time bombs.

MichaelPatrick1967 likes this.
  8. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I have a lot of dvds including the McCartney Years need to check that one. So far I have found one dvd that will not play an early dvd of The Lady in White, the disc looked fine but would not load in two dvd players and two BR players and my computer it was from Odeon.

9. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I've had some similar issues with the Superman Ultimate Collection DVD set with all of the Chris Reeve Superman films and a couple random DVD's here and there. They just stopped playing two years ago. No apparent damage or in my case, even discoloration. It started with one movie in the set. I had played it a week prior with no problems. Then I went back to watch one of the special features, and It wouldn't work. I tried four different DVD players and drives. Nothing. Eventually ALL the discs in the set stopped working over the next year. The strange thing in my case it was all Warner Bros discs manufactured from the 2005-2009 time frame! I have various Warner Bros movies manufactured prior and after that time frame (some dating back to 1998!) and they still work with no issues. Same with all the other Studios/manufacturers. Just like maybe a total of 12-15 discs out of the nearly 500 I own. At least as far as I know. There could be some more in my collection,but so far so good. I've been working on ripping my favorites to a Hard Drive just in case though.

10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Just checked and all discs look silver, play trouble free. Thank you for alert and hope you can get another set if essential to your collection.

11. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Hmmm, I bought it when it first came out, made my way through about half of the first disc, and never touched the set again. Maybe I'll finally get around to watching the whole set, but probably not. If it plays, it plays, if it doesn't play by then... meh, I didn't care enough to watch it when it was still brand new.

12. white wolf

Pulled out my HELP! DVD today. Same problem. slight change in the disc coloring. It got a bit into the movie and froze on me. I am glad I kept my MPI DVD. I won't be replacing The defective DVD. No problems with any other DVDs in my collection.

13. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I checked both the McCartney Years DVD as well as Help! Both play just fine. As far as I remember, there is no color change, that's how they were originally pressed with that light gold tint. The tint is quite even throughout. Usually when an optical disc oxidizes, it's splotchy.

Derek

white wolf likes this.
  14. white wolf

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Derek Gee likes this.
  15. craig leonard

craig leonard Forum Resident

I bought a copy of this off eBay last year and had the same trouble. No scratches, no marks, no rot, just wouldn't load to my DVD player. Returned it for a refund.

16. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Same problem here with discs 1 and 2. They looked fine but no longer played, and I tested them on 3 or 4 different played. In the end I had to buy a new set.

17. Walsh

Walsh New Member

I did the same thing recently went to play the discs which always played fine and am now having problems. The discs look fine but have problem playing.Some tracks play other won’t. All 3 Discs no longer allow extras to play. I hear the disc spin when I select extras and then it stops and goes back to blank screen. I repurchased last week The McCartney Years DVD Set in-line just received and am experiencing same problem. It does not appear to be the physical condition of the discs.Something else is going on as if the discs are not being authenticated by the dvd player perhaps new key codes or something is blocking access to all the disc content. I have tried multiple DVD players some like an old Sony PS3 do not even recognize the discs at all whether the old set or recent repurchase.I have no problem with any of my other dvds playing.Many years older and in not good condition scratched etc.The only problem is with both collections of the McCartney Years.I love that set as the audio was mastered very well much betters in terms of dynamic range and frequency response from a typical Paul McCartney release. There is so much to treasure in this collection and show cases what an amazing talent. If the playback problem can’t be solved Iam hoping for a re release perhaps as a blu Ray.I really love this collection and hope someone might be able to find out what is going on and how to fix the playback problem.

John Grimes likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Try PS3 player

John Grimes likes this.
  19. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

My new copy of McCartney's All The Best CD had several or more tracks skip right from the get-go when I tried to rip them into iTunes.

I didn't realize it right off, and didn't think of trying to bring it back.

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Try to create a copy on a blank DVD disc and see whether that plays fine.

21. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I just tried discs 1 and 2 in two players and they would not read. I played a little of disc 1 on my computer then tried to rip it but I received reading errors..

22. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

The disc with the ‘Back To The Egg’ material on it in my set won’t play those songs. Earlier and later songs work but not the ones in the middle. The alternate tracks like “Baby’s Request” wouldn’t play either.

23. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

My Disc 1 will not play in my Oppo 203 or my previous Oppo 93. I used to enjoy putting it on and turning off the TV to just enjoy the hits in Surround. Now it simply won't play at all

24. Bossfan

Bossfan Forum Resident

A new blu Ray version of this set would be nice.

John Grimes likes this.
  25. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Yes, and while they're at it, put all the cropped 4:3 aspect ratio videos that were changed to 16:9 back to the original 4:3 aspect ratio!

Derek

MarkTheShark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.