The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

That was one thing about the Dead--they had really good sound, but on any given night, especially if you had crappy seats, they could be NOT LOUD ENOUGH. Man, I remember how sucky that was!

At the beginning of every show we would sit there as they filed onto the stage saying "Please be loud enough! Please be loud enough!!"

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

You mean, it was the first run with Cutler on the board, replacing Healy.

warewolf95, US Blues, nitsuj and 2 others like this.
  3. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Correct.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. bzfgt

Is anyone on this thread on the Born Cross Eyed site? I need to get in touch with an administrator, I have been trying to reactivate my account for months now.

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I am occasionally. I agree it's not easy to get a direct response.

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. bzfgt

Could you PM someone about my situation? I'm a lapsed member and I cannot reactivate.

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Soapbox time:

The Internet Archive is doing their yearly donation drive:
    www.archive.org/details/gd78-04-11.sbd.miller.18099.sbeok.shnf

Those of us who visit the site regularly know what an invaluable resource it is.

Please consider donating if you use the site (or any of the apps that link up with it.)

(I am not affiliated in any way with the archive, just an avid user.)

Dismounting soapbox.

8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Already? It felt just like yesterday.
    I donated a small amount last time but anything is better than zero.
    Same thing now. Keep the archives going!

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  9. bzfgt

Same, I gave them a pittance but if everyone does then things will go swimmingly.

ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  10. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Question for all y'all GoGD streamers: Is the android app "Deadhead Archive" more or less a link to The Archive?
    Or is that app content hosted independently?

With enough curiosity & motivation, i will eventually stream the rare show once in awhile.

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes.

12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

This came up on the RSD thread and someone was kind enough to pass along Glasser's comments in the liner notes, so it looks like some Plangent tools were applied to help this out; we have already seen the digital Nagra eq deemphasis on a few releases, I wonder what the phase filters were if not already part of that; but anyway hopefully it helped for those who got it. Black Friday Record Store Day November 24, 2017 *

fishcane and US Blues like this.
  13. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Thank you !

bmoregnr and US Blues like this.
  14. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

It didn’t occur to me until I read @hyde park ’s reply that I was at this show too. I remember it being good for ‘94 but better on paper than it was in the hall. But I’m not sure if I ever listened to it after the fact; now I’m curious to check it out. Glad you dug it @warewolf95

hyde park and warewolf95 like this.
  15. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

22 March 1973- Utica. Upgraded SBD released earlier this year by the Betamania crew. Another excellent show from March '73. Highlights include:

Here Comes Sunshine, Truckin' > The Other One > Eyes of the World > China Doll

16. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

The 3-29-90 Nassau 3CD set culled from the Spring 1990 Box Set came in just before work today. Stunning looking. Guess i need to consider the entire Box Set now. :confused:

17. US Blues

24 June 1973- Portlandia.

Dark Star > Eyes of the World > China Doll > Sugar Magnolia

PS- This Dark Star is a must listen.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  18. bzfgt

Yeah.

19. ianuaditis

I started out doing 3 years at once - 70 as the main thing, 78 as the backup, and 91 as the wild card, when I wanted something a bit different.

78 turned out to be so great, I listened to a bunch of those before I got very far in either of the 2 other years. (I wanted to give some of the 70 stuff a serious listen with the proper attention, to compare with all of 1969.)

I haven't done any 78 in a few weeks, while I caught up with the other stuff, but today it was back on the train!

4-11-78 Fox Theater - this may be the top show of 78 so far, and I'm just at the beginning of set II. An excellent set I - this is my new favorite slow Friend of the Devil. Tennessee Jed was fairly pedestrian until the long solo break (5:38) when Garcia turned in a strange, lower volume solo, followed by Weir doing one of his own, and then a buildup behind Garcia's repeated figure to the end.

Garcia seems to do that 'quiet' solo a few times in set I, including Good Lovin and Brown Eyed Women. A strong Looks Like Rain is found here too.

Samson opens set II, typical burning guitar on that - Weir's slide is really not bad at all, maybe that was saved for later in the year when he got some confidence. I can't take issue with it here.

In a dream space, the Coyote (that old trickster) told me this was the best version of Scarlet>Fire, but I know that the real best version wears bells on her fingers and shoes on her toes...
    [​IMG]

Crispy Rob, adamos, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I read this in Jim Morrison's voice and it fit perfectly.

Still listening to disc 4 of the Movie Soundtrack with the He's Gone>Truckin' Jam.

21. ianuaditis

Sounds like a straight Mick Jagger impersonation to me! :D

22. wavethatflag

I don't envision Mick tripping peyote in the desert and encountering your coyote-god. That doesn't mean you're wrong...

23. US Blues

Coyote will never steer you wrong.

He's such a genius!

24. wavethatflag

But he's a blank slate, and unfortunately can show you the way to immense evil. When Henley and Frey were trippin' balls in the desert in the early 90s, they first saw the north of $99 ticket price.

25. ianuaditis