Nick Drake Japanese 2017 remasters (SHM-CD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by karmaman, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident Thread Starter

The three original Nick Drake albums will be reissued in August by Universal Japan with new 2017 remastering "using the UK original master tapes". Packaging will be cardboard replicas of the UK original pressings, with newly designed obi with faux Island design (these albums were not issued in Japan originally).
    Nick Drake: 3 First-to-Cardboard Sleeve Reissues (SHM-CD)

Carlox, sonnyrock and PhantomStranger like this.
  2. I think this makes Nick Drake SHM-SACDs all but inevitable down the road.

Jarleboy and Jerquee like this.
  3. karmaman

not sure the demand is there, at least not in Japan, but you never know.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Thanks for the update - just preordered them from CD Japan!

5. Where are you Simon

Where are you Simon Well-Known Member

Yet another cash cow release.:rolleyes:

alexpop likes this.
  6. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Used to be that the original tapes were not usable for the first two Nick Drake albums, only Pink Moon. I wonder how they fixed this problem?

Carlox likes this.
  7. Where are you Simon

Where are you Simon Well-Known Member

Digital technology £££££££$$$$$$$:righton:

alexpop and BlueSpeedway like this.
  8. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Just received the full set and listened. Fantastic sounding crankable like hell and very smooth and analogue. All 3, very vinyl sounding ( it seems that the master used comes from vinyl version ) . On libretto : mastered at Abbey Roads in july 2012 by Adam Nunn ( Mastering Engineer ) and John Wood ( Mastering Producer ) for the 3 albums
    My very best versions of those 3 albums, you can go for it !

9. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

Just got my 3 mlps SHM-CDs. These 3 sound fine with warm bass and detailed acoustic instruments. Of the 3, Bryter Layter has audible hiss which could be because the master tapes were lost?

Never having owned any other versions on CD, are these truly the best sound quality pressings?

PhantomStranger likes this.
  10. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

According to the CDJapan product page, the remasters are from 2013 - if that's true they are just reissues. I'm happy with the original Hannibal CD's and never felt the need to upgrade.

audiomixer likes this.
  11. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

I think CD Japan is referring to the vinyl reissues in 2013 which were taken from the original tapes and were part of the Back to Black series.
    I don't remember any digital remasters in 2013.

12. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

The CD Japan page says, "Features 2013 remastering, using the UK original master tapes (available in CD format for the first time)."

13. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

The master of Five Leaves Left was lost so their claim can't be true on that one unless someone recently found it

Carlox, BlueSpeedway and HenryFly like this.
  14. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

The Japanese Universal vinyl remasters from 2007 need a quick mention here. I like them a lot. Ok that was it. Back to the discussion.

DeRosa likes this.
  15. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Yes the same thing occurred to me, I'd take their claim with a giant pinch of salt.

16. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I didn't try Nick Drake titles from that series after trying some other artists in that series and being disappointed. Quite sure that those 2007 200 Gram vinyl reissues Universal did were mastered from whatever CD was in print at the time.

17. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Have many people been able to do detailed comparisons between these & the original Hannibal/Island CDs (my digital favourites to date)?

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

15 years ago I'd have snapped them up.
    But "obi" doesn't have the same appeal for me these days.

c-eling likes this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

If they carry + bonus or an interesting mastering I still bite.
    I'm curious on those Human Leagues

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    OneLife likes this.
  20. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

Have you done comparisons with the original Hannibal/Rykodisc CDs?

Musicisthebest likes this.
  21. Beyond Salvation

Beyond Salvation Forum Resident

So this is a long shot but has anyone done a comparison with the three 2010 shm releases & the 2017 shm releases?
    Are the 2017 ones the same remaster as 2010, just re-released or are they a newer remaster?
    Cheers

22. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

According to CD Japan they're a newer, not new, remaster

Five Leaves Left [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] Nick Drake CD Album

Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Nick Drake featuring SHM-CD format. Available as mini LP (individual release) for the first time. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design (gatefold). Includes an obi, fictionally imitating its (Island) Japan LP design. Features 2013 remastering, using the UK original master tapes (available in CD format for the first time). Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following titles: "Five Leaves Left," "Bryter Layter," and "Pink Moon."

Beyond Salvation likes this.
  23. karmaman

these use the same masters as the most recent vinyl reissues which included hi-res download options. these are therefore the first CD issues of those masters.

Beyond Salvation likes this.
  24. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

And they're really, really excellent. I don't buy into the whole SHM thing, and I'm ambilent about obis, but, going strictly by memory (I haven't done a comparison), I like the sound on these more than the original Rykos and the 2010 remasters.

Beyond Salvation and HenryFly like this.
  25. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

I have both the 2010 and the 2017 Shm cd of five leaves left .The 2010 shm is the 2000 remaster as done by simon heyworth and not a new 2010 remaster.The 2017 shm cd names John Wood as the mastering producer and Adam Nunn as the mastering engineer done in 2012 at abbey road .John Wood was also involved in the 2000 remaster so the plot thickens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.