Amazon packaging.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Diorama, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have noticed the last few months Amazon packaging is awful. I have gotten Amazon boxes with books and cds in the same box with the books damaged or the cd covers all scratched.

Has anyone has similar experience or am I just having bad luck.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I agree. It has gotten infinitely worse over the past few years. ALL of the CDs or books that I have purchased from them have been put in a large envelope that is about 5 times the size of the item, with no extra padding or cardboard to secure or protect the item. So the CD or book just flops around continually during the postal process. I've had numerous broken jewel cases and dinged corners. I think that a robot might be packing these relatively low-cost items as there does not seem to be any thought put into it.

And this was NOT the case only a few years ago.

3. Yes, returning an LP today to Amazon that's all crumpled and bent. I am returning it in the better LP sized packaging from importcds.

MikeInFla and vudicus like this.
  4. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Last week I ordered 2 LP's.
    A large box arrived and inside was one LP in it's own protective box.
    The other LP was not in any protective box and the cover was in a terrible state. One corner of the sleeve was completely mangled.
    Needless to say it went back.

zphage likes this.
  5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I find most e-tailers are pretty crap when it comes to packaging. My best experiences have involved ordering premium box sets which are stocked in pre-designed packaging by the label. That box is then shipped in a larger box (per the usual, without much padding or protection).

Granted, it's rare that I order directly from Amazon, so I couldn't clock a decline. ImportCDs is my usual go-to and their packaging is, ahem, "no frills." The condition of my merch usually depends on how rough a ride the postal service offers.

Mike McMann likes this.
  6. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Yes... all of a sudden it seems like Amazon UK (especially) is not shipping their vinyl in individuals vinyl mailers within a larger box, so I've had several damaged LPs recently. They replaced them, and then asked me to not return the damaged ones since the cost of the returns would be prohibitive. The replacements did come in individual mailers.

7. Cabin_Essence

Cabin_Essence Member

I have noticed that the size of packaging they ship in seems inappropriate for the contents of the package. Have never ordered LP's or CD's , but I remember that not long ago they shipped book in actual book packaging that protected it nicely. Perhaps that type of packaging was getting too expensive??

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

You could fit a record player in one of the boxes I got that had a single CD in

Such waaaaste

9. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't - I've had LPs rattling loose in a large box with some padding (paper or inflated pillow kind of thing) and I've had LPs in sturdy individual mailers arrive in a larger box. Baffling.

10. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

I have had the same issues with Amazon over the past several months, resulting me having to return 2 items. Now I'm nervous about the deluxe Fleetwood Mac self titled I pre-ordered from Amazon UK. Lord only knows what may happen when that is shipped from across the pond. Fingers crossed!

steelydanguy and Myke like this.
  11. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

Two weeks ago I was shocked to see an LP I ordered arrived by Canada Post just like I had purchased it from a retailer. Factory shrink wrap only, with the delivery labels stuck on. It certainly raised my ire a little. Fortunately it arrived in sufficient condition.

12. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Sound Stage Direct is a great e-retailer. They even have a short video on how they pack their products for shipping.

13. John Storey

John Storey Well-Known Member

I have had numerous CDs arrive with cracked jewel cases, packed in nothing but a padded envelope, generally much larger than the CD. My best advice to avoid cracking would be to order it with something else and hope they ship it all in one box, of course the CD still rattles around in there... As others have mentioned, I too have a few doubles, one cracked and one not, due to returns. It is great when comparing two CD players though!

Galley likes this.
  14. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Oh yeah... I stopped buying from them several years ago.

15. Diorama

I see a lot of people are having the same problem as me. It's rather annoying. You would think it would be getting better than worse. Few years ago I never had a problem now it's every package. I am in Ireland so returning would nearly cost the same as a record.

vudicus likes this.
  16. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

This is my biggest beef. I'll order a few CDs and books at the same time, they'll all ship at the same time from the same facility...and they all come in separate massively oversized boxes stuffed with way too much packing material. It's ridiculous.

Galley likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Amazon dont give a crap. Its a monster that has absolutely no regard for the customer. We are faceless dollars to them.

Have a mashed package? We dont care. We arent changing anything. Because we will be selling a billion more just like it. Send it back we will send you another one. We will repackage the bent up item and the next sucker we send the same bent up item to most likely wont send it back.

Amazon is a conveyor belt of product to be fed to the masses. Amazon has one priority: Money. And more of it. Theyve done the math. They do not care.

18. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Cripes. Surely all the corners of the sleeve were bent? My OCD couldn't stand to receive such a badly packed fragile item in the post.:o

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

YET:
    I personally would say, though, that their customer service is exceptional. Every time that I have had a damaged item from poor packaging, they have remedied the situation by sending me a replacement or offering a refund/discount. It seems wasteful, however, since if they just packed the initial item properly, it would save them the cost of sending out replacements.

20. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

I've been ordering books and CDs from Amazon all the time (two or three times a month at least) for almost twenty years and haven't had any packaging problems. Sometimes they ship in a far too big box but there's always plenty of padding so my stuff stays in good shape. Guess I'm just luckier than y'all.

21. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I ordered two books within the past week and both arrived in excellent condition in appropriately sized boxes.

I think Amazon's packing is hit-or-miss. Sometimes items do arrive damaged because of improper packing, but most of the time my items arrive in good condition.

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

And thats what they count on. Theyve done the numbers. Most will not return it for a refund or a new item. Its better for them to keep packaging fast and furiously paced. Doesnt serve them to change and slow down the process.

I received a small boxset yesterday. Came in a beat up half torn package with no packaging foam, no newspapers stuffed into the box. Just the boxset that was rattling around. Had a small smash in the corner. Surprised it wasnt worse. Am I sending it back? No. Why? Because it was hard enough finding the item in the first place. Not once has a package to me came properly packaged. Luckily, rarely are they damaged.

Oh and why do people think Amazon will kick you out if you send too many packages back? Well, once again, theyve done the math. Once youre not an assett to them...time for you to go bye bye.

Its business. Nothing personal.

Enjoy your prime membership! Have a nice day :)

23. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

I stopped buying books from Amazon due to their terrible packaging. For a mass market paperback I don't mind, but I buy a lot of expensive art books, and hail no.

Barnes and Noble basically matches the Amazon price and ships quicker/better, plus they send good coupons all the time.

I still buy cds from Amazon because I'm not as fussy with those.

24. Diorama

Yep think your right man.

Thank fook I never got a Prime account.

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Not sure thats how a mega business like Amazon works.

1) Theyve done the odds. Most of the time package arrive relatively intact. If it has a little ding probably wont be sent back.

2) If it isnt intact, another big percentage of customers wont return the item anyway

3) The other small percentage of people who do return things. But we can make that up easily with...MORE SALES!

They know the odds. The more money they are worth, the more the odds work in their favor

Archguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.