New Morrissey album, "Low in High-School"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DwarfMcDougal, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's his most radio friendly track in years.

e.s. and portlandjulian like this.
  2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I just don't believe some of the things he says.
    58 years on the planet and never once had a cup of coffee or a curry. Purleees.
    And if his diet is as bad as he claims, bread and potatoes, I'm not surprised he had acid reflux...

MagneticNorthpaw and e.s. like this.
  3. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Yes, thank you for posting this. A really interesting read.

portlandjulian likes this.
  4. DesertHermit

Maybe there’s a shortage of people who are willing to just sit and listen to him speak? Everyone seems to always be at him...perhaps he is a mite lonely and just wants someone to have a chat to?

e.s. likes this.
  5. DesertHermit

I agree. Some people are just contrary by nature. I don’t really mind what he says; I agree with much of it, but I tend towards the contrary too. I don’t think he owes anyone anything or needs to tow a certain line...and obviously he couldn’t care less about what others think!

oldturkey likes this.
  6. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

I have tried it Many times but I think it is not A Good album.
    It's A so so album.
    The squashed sound doesn't help either.

7. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I was listening to BBC Radio 5 a month or so ago and the presenter Rachel Burden (who is in her 40s) claimed to never have had a cup of coffee before. It sounds unlikely, but possible.

In his autobiography, Moz says

"Putrid smells reduce me to a pitiful pile, and none are more vomitarian than school dinners. All foods of miasmic fragrance disturb me, and the mere hint of garlic induces the shakes...This boy of 1971 has a abnormally limited palate - a working class host of relentless toast, and the inability to expand beyond the spartan....I remain bedevilled by a dangerously sparse intake of food until my late thirties, when pasta and pizza throw the line."

e.s. likes this.
  8. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

An ex co worker aged 54 of mine had never tried tea or coffee and had never tried an orange as he thought they were messy :D

bob60 likes this.
  9. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I listened to it yesterday, and I thought it was dreadful. Totally unmemorable and ponderous throughout. The main problem is a lack of melodies, once his strongpoint. Like his political views, his music has gone the same way, over the cliff edge.

10. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I don't see any lack of melody. I woke up this morning with When You Open Your Legs in my head. Every song on the album is memorable, imo.

11. SweetTea

SweetTea Forum Resident

I wish I had a copy of that Sunday Times Magazine. The cover photo is stunning. It was a very funny interview. It seems like most people don't get how funny he can be and no doubt he enjoys getting people worked up. I saw the video of when he was awarded his plaque for Moz Day in LA and someone yelled to him that they loved him. He answered with "that's impossible we've never met". :biglaugh: Such a classic Morrissey response - and he's right too! I don't look to Morrissey to guide my political ideals and we don't have to agree on everything. I respect him though for being consistent and not being afraid to say what's on his mind. And his albums are bloody good too!!! :)

mooseman, JeffMo, kannibal and 2 others like this.
  12. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Classic douchemoz.

13. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

My father is 76...he doesn't drink coffee and has never had a curry. Or a chilli. Or anything remotely spicy. This is admittedly strange but some people are a bit weird!

14. Yeah I hear lots of melodies. That’s one criticism I dont get. Plus except for the first track I dont hear the album as overly compressed at all.

In fact the only critisism I get is how political it all is. But I saw bring it on. Especially now.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm 43 and haven't drank a full cup of coffee or eaten a full curry. Don't like coffee at all and am not keen on curry so I believe him.

Jim B. and portlandjulian like this.
  16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

That’s people judging the politics without listening, too. Everyone thinks they have his views pegged based on his interviews, and I think his songs are a more accurate indication of what he actually thinks.

oldturkey and Mazzy like this.
  17. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

The sequencing in the second half is problematic, but, based on my purely subjective responses thus far, half of the album falls in at least the "like" column. That seems fairly strong for a latter day Morrissey album. My favorite track is "When You Open Your Legs," which quite took me by surprise as I find Jesse Tobias to provide more whiffs than hits (see: "I Bury The Living"). Gustavo Manzur provides some very nice piano playing on the second half, even on some of the clunkers. I get what he is trying to do with "The Girl..." but the arrangement veers dangerously close to kitsch. "Israel" is not as egregious to my ear as some, but it ends the album on a fairly down note. In some ways, it brings to mind "This Is Not Your Country," one of the fine "Satan Rejected My Soul" B-sides.

Love
    Home Is A Question Mark
    In Your Lap
    When You Open Your Legs

My Love, I'd Do Anything For You
    I Wish You Lonely
    Who Will Protect Us From The Police

Abide
    Jacky
    Israel

Despise
    Spent The Day In Bed
    I Bury The Living
    The Girl From Tel Aviv Would Not Kneel
    All The Young People Must Fall In Love

BeardedSteven likes this.
  18. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

"I’m strictly bread and potatoes.”

Not so much Irish Blood, English Heart as Irish Stomach, English Heart :winkgrin:

bob60 and oldturkey like this.
  19. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

For anyone interested in quaint old things like sales figures, according to Buzzjack, Morrissey's album sold over 25,000 copies in it's first week. I think I read that about a quarter of that figure was vinyl.

Equivalent streaming will be included in that but it's probably pretty low, around 5% of that figure.

It entered the charts at number 5 and by coincidence it was the highest selling number 5 album of the year so far, so if Morrissey is interested in chart positions he picked the wrong week to release this.

There are a handful of weeks during the year where 25,000 sales would have actually got him the number one album.

I also read somewhere that it sold 7000 more copies in the first week than World Peace did (though it charted at number 2) so some life in the old dog yet.

Of course, compared to the old days the sales look slim, but we are where we are, and I still find daft things like this interesting. He'll be sinking like a stone in the charts this week, of course.

20. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

:shake:

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You're not the first one to despair!

22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Really enjoying this album so far. Not the second half so much but definitely side one.

Love:
    Wish you lonely
    Jacky
    Home is a question mark (best song in 10 years?)
    Spent the day in bed
    When you open your legs (saves side two, probably my second favorite, I hate that intro but the chorus is great

Like:
    My love is do anything

Not sure about the rest, the theatricality or something isn’t bad but I’m not sure if I’ll get tired of it. I mean at one time I liked King Leer and Asian rut too

Also I’d love to have the recent live covers in official release on more than a 7” b side - just is a punk, back on the chain gang, elvis’ you’ll be lonely

And regarding Moz saying idiotic stuff - I ignore his interviews, never bothered with his autobiography. 30 year fan of Morrissey and his music, but the person is insufferable.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    BeardedSteven likes this.
  23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Love this post, it is always interesting to read sales stats...

DesertHermit likes this.
  24. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Sad, how do artists make any money nowdays, unless they tour and people show up.

25. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

And interesting to note that Noel Gallagher's new album sold over twice the above total in its first three days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.