The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

2. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

3. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

No secrecy, it's what's called an "Intra-Relationship Silent Negotiation". (IRSN) For example. I may do the 'dance' of getting something past the significant other (SO) but there's no way that she doesn't see the ever-expanding collection of LP's and SACD/CD's as the empty rack spaces fill-up and every flat surface (including the floor) becomes a resting place for "overstock". There's no way she doesn't notice that there's always something new to open, and listen to. There's no way that she doesn't notice the teetering tower of boxes from the likes of Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct and Elusive Disc sitting in the garage. But nothing is said, because through the "IRSN" mentioned above she knows that it's my duty to ensure that the house is properly stocked with the things in life that make it worth living, things like music (esp Jazz), art and audio gear. It's my duty to inform about upcoming music events, gallery openings and the like. Everyone has their role in creating a harmonious and enlightening living environment. This is best achieved when both parties make use of the "Intra-Relationship Silent Negotiation" technique. It's not "secrecy", it just "goes without saying".
    ;)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    oldjollymon, Marzz, dpb and 3 others like this.
  4. AxiomAcoustics

Yes, but I'll wait until I see "Now Shipping" for that, and Porgy and Bess before I get my hopes up. Miles Smiles had cropped up once before in the past and it quickly disappeared. I also was discussing title choices with a MoFi rep recently and was told they were not able to do it, but that may have changed. Here's hoping they were wrong.

Speaking of catalogs, I'm disappointed to see that the new Acoustic Sounds catalog makes no mention of any new or upcoming Jazz series now that the Prestige Stereo set is complete, at least for LP. Who knows if they will even complete the SACD portion with only 3 titles out in 2 years. They announced a Contemporary series almost 2 years ago now and not a word since then.

At least they've found the resources to do yet another reissue of "Dark Side Of The Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" though :rolleyes:

5. AxiomAcoustics

That's a bit creepy.

6. AxiomAcoustics

Ya know, I've been mulling that "Best Of" thing in my head and have been facing a problem. I've reached critical mass with the collection storage situation (see above) which means everything that I've bought for the past 1-2 years is in a bit of mixed genre, non-alphabetized state of disarray. If you've seen any of my pix this is very atypical for me and it's causing issues with even finding what would be on the list for this year. I can tell you though that, in addition to the Brahem, you've posted 4 titles that are heavy contenders for my own list. But that weighs heavily on the ECM bag. Plus, I've been so caught up in Jazz reissues lately that that really swings my "new" to "old" in some ways.

7. AxiomAcoustics

Close, it's Eliott Peacock. I like it so much I hope they release an LP version. I like this one more than the previous release from this trio, but now I've got to revisit it for the same reason. Maybe it's the cover art....

scompton likes this.
  8. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Kamasi Washington is on tour now.
    Caught his concert last night at the Taft in downtown Cincy.
    Run, don't walk to his concert if he comes close to your town...!
    Great band, his father joined him on stage, and a great time was had by all.

charlesp and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  9. AxiomAcoustics

These arrived the other day so I'm now cookin' with some Book, featuring the stellar rhythm section of Richard Davis and Alan Dawson and this time on piano, Tommy Flanagan. Works well with these tunes.

[​IMG]

Soulpope, btf1980, charlesp and 7 others like this.
  10. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Yeah, I hope these programs stay alive. The music deserves this type of care and attention.

11. AxiomAcoustics

Unfortunately he's not making it up this way on this tour. Is his father a player?

12. AxiomAcoustics

Definitely. I'm sure there's something in the works but nothing new that I can find for now. I'd welcome that Contemporary series, and hope there are some new and unearthed titles. They did announce a second series of RCA Living Stereo but no Jazz. He seems to really be focusing on that Ultra Tape line now.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

14. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Yesterdays on The Song Book is just incredible!

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Hopkins in his later years, his earlier stuff is much better in my opinion. The Ervin and Golson are excellent.

16. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Yes, as already mentioned.
    Last night he played soprano sax and flute.

17. An amazing concert (complete, in two parts) by Jim Hall and Scott Colley (b). If you are fans and have never seen/heard this, it's well worth the play I'm telling you! Not much hi-fi, but I happen to like the very low-lit, old school looks.

Awesome performance from both players, and a beautiful set list, including a mesmerizing, brooding, futuristic sounding composition I had never heard before at around 40:00 of Part 2.

From the recordings I have heard so far, Jim to me had two peaks as a guitar player, at around age 45, and here, 20 years later!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  18. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Miles Smiles definitely needs an update, just got the Speakers Corner pressing and it sounds like the source they mastered it from has been around the block a few times. There's no depth or body to Wayne's sax and "Herb's" piano sounds flat. Good record though.

19. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I winder if he’s related to Gary? I could find anything online but given the Seattle connection, I wouldn’t be surprised.

20. mktracy

mktracy Forum Resident

Soulpope, Erik B., vanhooserd and 7 others like this.
  21. AxiomAcoustics

Believe it or not I've never heard either the Hopkins or Golson before so I'm looking forward to them. That lineup on the Golson, oy! Interesting how many Blues and Bluesville titles were in this Prestige series. It would have been nice if they had just done an entire set of those titles.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  22. AxiomAcoustics

Thanks for that, I love to see these types of stories, far too rare these days. He played here last December but it was sold out before we could get the time off. Actually, tomorrow would be exactly 1 year.

23. AxiomAcoustics

It probably has, and that may be the reason for it not having been done before by MoFi. Although, SC would likely use a different tape due to their location. The SC version isn't perfect but it's the best we have outside of a clean OP, or a MoFi from a good source. It's better than any of the digital releases I've heard and better than the MOV. I just checked my email and it was just in May when I was told that they would not be doing Miles Smiles, let's hope that has changed.

Morbius and ParloFax like this.
  24. AxiomAcoustics

I just sort of assumed, thinking it would be far too coincidental for there to be no connection.

25. AxiomAcoustics

I'm listening to this fine and mellow drag again right now, noticing how differently it sounds from listening to it last night in the dark with no distractions. The character of the music is conveyed so much more when proper attention is given and it's not just wallpaper. Still a great listen, but not the same.

[​IMG]