Who was your favourite 'teenybopper' act?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I grew up in a house where music was important. At first it was Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass. I had maybe four records by them before I was nine. It was a Beatles household. The White Album was the first rock n roll record in the house. By 1970 I was nine and anticipated seeing them on Ed Sullivan but it was the Let It Be clips. I bought the Let It Be album. It had the book with photos and film dialogue. A bit later I suppose I enjoyed The Partridge Family but that was more because I had a crush on Shirley Jones. By age twelve or thirteen I was buying David Bowie and Stevie Wonder. But Saturday morning cartoons taught me that The Osmonds "Hold Her Tight" was a killer record.

2. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I just assumed Kenny was full of people who couldn't get into the Bay City Rollers.

oldturkey and bob60 like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Well, they did veto the underwear.:)

bob60 likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

The Rollers actually had some great self-penned songs. Their 1975 Wouldn't You Like It album is a good pop album. Of it's time, but the mostly self-written songs are strong.

6. Bobby Morrow

No wonder Bob's looking away in disgust.:)

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Teenybopper?

Beatles.

8. Bobby Morrow

I was at home when 'news' of the engagement broke. It was inescapable. No different to the Charles and Diana stuff in 1981. I mean, I didn't care then but obviously there was more respect for the Royals in those days. Now I get the impression no one gives a toss..

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Jackson 5

10. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

The 70's were a special time for rock fashion.

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I loved The Monkees' TV show but I wasn't mad on their music.
    Late 60s, I liked Love Affair's two hit singles "Everlasting Love" and "Rainbow Valley".
    Into the 70s, being into hard rock, blues and fusion I hated all teenybopper stars, although the odd TRex, Slade, Bowie or Sweet tune was fun.
    Yes, I soon realised that Bowie went far beyond the glam image that the girls loved.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Nope - this sort of thing reinvigorates patriotism and national pride on a sort of Orwellian level - people are already claiming it as a fundamental change to the British Establishment. Now everything's gonna be alright. Don't worry no more.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Hawkwind

14. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I don't know if Debbie Gibson qualifies, but I like a lot of her stuff. She's a good pop songwriter and performer.

Otherwise, the only one I could think of that would qualify that I ever actually owned (outside of Ms. Gibson) was this:

[​IMG]

greelywinger likes this.
  15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I like the Beach Boys and Doors singles if that counts.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL...

17. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I wanted to say "The Beatles", but in retrospect, they were only "ok".

Big thumbs up for the Bay City Rollers! I still listen to them.

bob60 likes this.
  18. MaggieMac

MaggieMac Forum Resident

Well, the late Bobby Vee was my favorite and yes, he still holds a place in my heart. Not mortified at all, and in fact, Bobby is still my favorite. Not sure what that says about me, but I know a lot of still loyal fans, both male and female who feel the same!

Like other pre-teen girls my age in 1960, I first fell for Bobby's voice when watching Bandstand and listening to the radio, but actually had no idea what he looked like until I started buying his records. He was 16 or 17 at that time. I loved to read the back of his LPs and absorbed all the details of his young life wherever I could find them. He was so dreamy to me and I would play his albums over and over! When he fell out of vogue with the British invasion, it was harder to find new records but I remained a fan. Over the ensuing years, I had no idea he continued to record and to tour and perform all over the world, as information about him was never on my radar. I was always happy to hear his songs on the radio.

I eventually re-discovered him on the internet and then all the music I had missed. His career lasted from 1959 to 2014, when his last album was released. I have almost everything he recorded and released, and even some unreleased recordings. Hundreds of recordings. His wonderful teenage hits allowed him to have a lifelong career but they are just the tip of the iceberg and don't reflect his later styles. In the later years, his voice changed at different points and was deeper, and his recording style closer to country/folk rock and Americana. He toured with a rock band comprised of his sons and other relatives or friends and played his old hits and those of others. He was a special favorite in the UK. Bobby was a skilled acoustic rhythm guitarist and songwriter and had a recording studio where he produced his own later albums. He also produced other acts and shows and did an incredible amount of charitable fundraising by performing on his own and with many of the musicians with whom he had toured years ago. His final concert was a fundraiser at his church attended by 18,000.

It is hard to pick a favorite song without going on and on here. But his 1972 LP issued under his real name Robert Thomas Velline, called Nothin' Like A Sunny Day was Bobby's attempt to escape the teen idol label and is one of my favorites, a great album with mostly original songs by Bobby. It is 37 minutes long but a great listen for someone who likes country or folk rock.

This little 8-minute documentary from 2011 from Minnesota Public TV looks back on Bobby's early teen idol days up to the current times. It is worth watching IMO, as there are also scenes from a 1962 documentary about Bobby, called "The Idol" which was also about the teenage fan base for music. There are scenes of kids in record stores. The events here are all re-enactments by the way, and the scene of the supposed plane crash site where Buddy Holly died are fake. (There are no mountains in that part or any part of Iowa and there was certainly no film crew on site that sad morning!) There are old scenes of Bobby doing a live recording with studio musicians a la The Wrecking Crew. The current part of this youtube video was filmed in Bobby's studio in Minnesota which is in an old bank. I was lucky enough to visit the studio on several occasions, and it is beautiful. I loved hearing Bobby's interviews as he was a bright and funny and engaging person with a deep love of music. He loved his fans and they loved him back and he was happy with the path of his career. Gone way too young and so sadly from Alzheimer's at age 73. I never met Bobby but have met a number of his family members. From all accounts, he was a kind and humble person who came to be loved and admired in his community and elsewhere, for the person he was as well as for his music. So I like to think I had good taste in my teen idol!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Tanx and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Vee was a little before my time, but this post does a great job in explaining why those first music 'crushes' make such an impact they stay with us for the rest of our lives. Many of my friends liked the same stuff as me, but had no trouble dropping these artists when something 'better' came along. Not me, I feel the same way about them now as I did in 1973.:D Don't get me wrong, I know the music isn't the best ever made, but I still love it anyway. Seems like the phrase 'there's nothing like your first time' applies to many things.:D

MaggieMac likes this.
  20. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

The first one I thought of along with The Osmonds. I also enjoyed The Archies, Josie and the Pussycats and The Monkees.

21. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I think the Osmonds were Lawrence from Felt's favourites:

22. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

The Monkees
    The Jackson Five

23. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

The Beatles.

24. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

The Beatles. I did have Herman's Hermits Greatest Hits for a few years, but gave it away in '67.

25. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I don't like Michael Jackson

but his work in the Jackson Five

Cartoon specials all the way

hey Tito

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.