Lady Bird (2017 Motion Picture)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mds, Nov 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Right! And you go and link to a half a dozen bands working in that genre, and they dismiss them as "derivative" (if they listen to them at all.)

Stormrider77 likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

People expect to see the films that are most heavily advertised at their local theater. If the place has enough screens, they'll play smaller films as well. I'm not familiar with San Antonio, but I think Kansas City is around the same size. None of the theaters I mentioned are megaplexes - the Ward Parkway 14 (the birthplace of AMC), Cinemark's Palace at the Plaza with 12 screens, the Alamo Drafthouse with 6 and the tiny Screenland with 2. If I go out to the burbs, I can see older films still playing like Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Last Flag Flying, Marshall, Bladerunner 2049 and even a re-release of Howl's Moving Castle.

My point is that it's not that hard to find smaller films whether in the city or the suburbs. If you're in a small town or rural area, yeah your choices in movies are going to be limited, but then so are your choices in live music and restaurants.

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Some people are simply just looking to re-experience "that experience" for the first time...which they can't because, y'know, they already had that.

Elsewhere around here I've opined, there's nothing more dissatisfying as that 6th bowl of ice cream...

4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

This movie set a Rotten Tomatoes record when it hit 164 positive reviews and no negatives. Currently it’s up to 170 and still holds a 100% rating.

The previous record holder was Toy Story 2 with 163 straight positive reviews before getting a negative notice.

5. Monosterio

6. Chris DeVoe

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. Monosterio

Yep, and a 100% rating is no guarantee even one of those critics thinks it’s the best movie he/she has seen all year. I hope to see it before long and judge for myself.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

Not sure if this is the theme song.. But it's featured on the TV promo.

9. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Awesome movie (imo). We drove 100 miles (one way) to view in a theater.

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw it tonight and loved it.

Solid acting by the Mother and Ladybird.

11. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Agreed. It was great, but at minimum, I enjoyed "Baby Driver" and "Colossus" more.

12. Chris DeVoe

Definitely! And Brigsby Bear, Good Time and Gifted as well.

13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Laurie Metcalf. AKA sister Jackie from Roseanne.

14. Splungeworthy

And Logan Lucky, Logan, Dunkirk, and John Wick Chapter 2.

15. Chris DeVoe

What qualifies as an "Independent" film any more?

16. Splungeworthy

Well, none of the ones I mentioned, but I wasn't really talking about indies-just movies in general.

17. Chris DeVoe

OK, I had pretty much confined my comparisons to other "Indie" films. But I did like all of the films you mentioned.

Splungeworthy likes this.
  18. Monosterio

Are those movies from this year? I haven’t heard of a single one of them! :D

Btw, Lady Bird is up to 181 reviews and still has a 100% RT rating.

19. Monosterio

20. Chris DeVoe

Brigsby Bear was produced by the Lonely Island team, and starred Mark Hamel and Greg Kinnear. It's nearly indescribable, but wonderful and sweet.

Good Time is a crime drama starring Robert Pattinson, and he (like his Twilight co-star Kirsten Stewart) proved that he's a talented actor when he's not having the recite the worst written dialog in history.

Gifted stars Chris Evans as the father of a child prodigy played by Mckenna Grace, in possibly one of the most naturalistic child performances I've seen in decades.

Saw them all in the theater, this year. I'm not big on making lists, but would include all three in my top ten.

Monosterio likes this.
  21. Monosterio

OK, I do remember hearing about Good Time. Thought of seeing but didn’t for some reason. Thanks, Chris.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Something somebody made on their own shoestring, took it to Sundance, and got hoovered-up by 21st Century Fox Spotlight.

23. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Just saw this, excellent film. I'm so glad they still make pictures like this, I hope it's a smash so there'll be more to follow. I'm also glad my local AMC doesn't just bring the "blockbusters" like the other area theatres do.

Dan C, ralphb and Hightops like this.
  24. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to watching this when it comes out in February. Timothée Chalamet is on a bit of a roll at the moment with Lady Bird and Call Me by Your Name. I wouldn't be surprised if he scores an Oscar nomination for the latter film.

ralphb likes this.
  25. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Terrific coming of age film, we both loved it. Tight script, honest performances, great editing and an ending that didn't come off as false. Laurie Metcalf might soon have an Oscar to put on the mantle next to her Emmy's and Tony.

alankin1 and Chris DeVoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.