Cat may have hurt my stylus

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jack Minor, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Cat + stylus = ?

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Cat-alyst for trouble :D

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Thankfully my cat stays away from the shelves my player is on. Even if he did hurt the stylus a replacement one for the Nagaoka MP-110 is only about 30$.

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

Cat-astrophe for the catilever.

5. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Our 2 sistas are mischievous throughout the house, but they've never been attracted to the turntable, for some reason. Nor, for that matter, have they tried to sharpen their claws on the speakers. I was apprehensive about removing the grilles, but there have been no incidents. The worst that happened was: my wife left the ironing board set up next to one speaker. Later on, I discovered it had fallen over and knocked the speaker down. I assume one of the felines jumped on the ironing board, but they never admitted it. There was no speaker damage.

The FRiNgE and Aftermath like this.
  6. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Cat balanced on top of the door, launched itself on to my LP12, whilst playing R.E.M.'s Document (that's how traumatic, burned in to my brain). Loudest sound ever from my speakers, cat and deck survived, although she never did it again, noise aversion therapy works.

7. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I've had dogs & cats that have just destroyed stereo components.

I've had dogs pi$$ on big CV box speakers (totally ruined the woofer and cabinets warped out, laminate peeled off) and chew on cables as well as have had cats chew all the darn wires in the whole house, a super drag, they are just chewing machines. The cats also chewed up the corners on wooden coffee tables, etc.

Now we have a great cat! No destruction at all. In fact, when I play the stereo he listens 'with' me, seriously, he likes the sounds. Lays in the floor in front of the stereo speakers. He digs it!! :) But I still keep a small sports towel and a Teak wood bowl from Thailand on top of the TT when not in use so he can't jump on top. I also keep the tops of the wood speakers covered at all times with towels. Sure thankful he has no interest in my rare NOS Sansui 1980 TT rack. I worried about that for a long time (still do a bit). It's like he enjoys the stereo too so he leaves it alone. So Cool.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    quicksilverbudie and The FRiNgE like this.
  8. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I can see a theme emerging

9. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

:laugh:

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

So, I take it they didn't like having another woofer in the house?

OK, I've injected enough, uh, levity in this thread that I really ought to offer a more serious suggestion to the original poster. Check your cantilever and see if it got pulled out of alignment, maybe pointing left or right or else extracted from the housing a little. It may be that gently repositioning it, perhaps including pushing it back into the cartridge housing gently, will revive the thing at least for a bit. Don't expect that to last, even if it works, but it might buy you a bit more time while you procure a replacement.

11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Cat (Domestic short haired tabby) and dog (golden retriever), no problems with my audio things. I’m more afraid of my seven year old twins.

dougotte and The FRiNgE like this.
  12. FJC1966

FJC1966 The Prestonian

'cat may have hurt my stylus' - had to LOL at the title of this thread....did the dog eat your Homework at School by any chance?...

13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Leave the cat outside for a week with no food... :laughup:

14. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

My cat largely leaves the hifi alone, but has a thing about soft plastic -- plastic bags, polythene CD covers and so on. He'll chew anything made of polythene with his few remaining teeth.

15. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I have bent 2 Stylii incl a brand new retipped Troika! Always have had cats, never had a problem. Lids are a great idea.

16. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Small children put my vinyl listening on hold for 20+ years. If Cd’s weren’t perfect sound forever they were at least above average and nearly indestructible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.