1968 Yardbirds sessions to see release?!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YardByrd, Jul 21, 2016.

1. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Mentioned this before in another Yardbirds thread but there's a recording of It's a Beautiful Day opening for the Yardbirds at the Fillmore in 1968. I'd bet the recording of the Yardbirds exists.

tmtomh likes this.
  2. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

Pre-ordered months ago, straight from jp.com. Apparently my vinyl set shipped a week ago. Has not arrived in NC. Have any forum members here in US received their vinyl sets?

apple-richard likes this.
  3. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

You mean the one from '66, with Beck and Page? Here's another grainier shot (below) from the same show - Fillmore West, Oct. 23, 1966 - one of Beck's last 'Birds shows. You can tell it's a great show and band just by the pictures!

I agree that Dreja should put out a book of photos. In the Yardbirds book (written by Dreja/McCarty/Platt) there are some pages of Dreja contact sheets. One shows the time in 1966 that they played with the Velvet Underground. Dreja mentions that their next tour took them through Singapore, and he spent a day going round old Singapore taking pictures (none are in the book, though).

[​IMG]

The two photos from this gig are by Gordon Linden and at least one is in the Clayson Yardbirds book. This book excerpt has more about the gig:

Gordon Linden Architecture

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  4. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

It's similar to when bootleg live shows are burned track at once with a small gap between songs. I ripped mine and fixed it in audacity.

9la likes this.
  5. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

I received my vinyl and cd versions today and the packaging looks superb.
    Cannot wait to digest this tomorrow!

apple-richard likes this.
  6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I got the CD but no vinyl yet. Ordered at the same time.

7. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

Thanks, apple-Richard. Guess I'll keep waiting. I did read that the vinyl is "glitch free", so I'm happy about that. Back in my days working in a record store (Record Covergence, Falls Church, VA '84-'88) one of the titles that would come up in our discussions of "what album would you like to remix" was LIVE YARDBIRDS. If only for the possibility to getting rid of the bullfight cheers! Funny how life plays out....

tmtomh and apple-richard like this.
  8. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world Thread Starter

RCA was different versions of Steeled Blues and I'm a Man, neither of which have turned up. Part of Gomelsky's archives, the whereabouts of which are unknown... speculation at one point placed them with an ex-wife in Paris but that was a wild guess and unconfirmed

9. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Few people here have mentioned them, but the studio tracks sound great!!! Compared to Cumular Limit, it's like night and day!
    The drums sound so powerful, on the old release they sounded so bland.

10. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

I do think you are RIGHT RE White Summer!
    Here's the screenshot I made from both ripped versions. The above two waves is the Mooreland St. version, below is the "Yardbirds 68" version.
    The old version is considerably longer and you can clearly see that the number was played at least slightly differently.

So, hey! We have a bonus track! :righton:

Now, the quessie of the day is: since they played two shows on that night and Epic obviously taped BOTH: which show is the "new" version from, resp. which show is the one used for the album?
    My - rather speculative - guess is that Epic chose the first show for their planned album because Keith's voice, which we all know tended to overstrain - sure was still fresher for the first show.
    The stage banter unfortunately doesn't give any hints in that respect.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    yarbles, superstar19, tmtomh and 3 others like this.
  11. I pre ordered the LP from Amazon US in early October but I’m still waiting for it to ship. I’m not sure what the hold up is. I’m really looking forward to hearing this.

apple-richard and YardByrd like this.
  12. YardByrd

As I said earlier, Page chose the set where Relf was sober. One would guess that is the first set. And even an Epic A&R guy in 68 would choose a sober Relf over a drunk Relf.

Dondy likes this.
  13. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

I worked my may through the album and reinsterted (hopefully) all the edited out bits and pieces. I'm no professional Audacity wizard you bet, so the result does have some ...er, "patchwork charm", haha! You can't do much about that because the sonics are so different. But what the heck, it is complete, and - best thing about it - it comes with the 2nd version of "White Summer as a BONUS TRACK. Early Christmas for a Yardbirdnatic! :D

I may have some new detail info as well: while working on I'M A MAN, I got the impression that on the original album, the OVER UNDER SIDEWAYS DOWN coda
    a) may have been flown in from the other show or
    b) was tacked on directly while it was actually played a few moments after the applause had set in.

Why I guess that? Well, on the new release, you can clearly hear that Page's guitar is the last instrument played whereas on the LP, it is Keith's harmonica, and that crossfades directly into the OUSD coda. So, the last few Page notes were edited out *back then*! I tacked on that coda after Jimmy's last notes with all of Keith's bye-bye's that are missing on the new CD as well.
    I'd really like to share my work for those who need the complete show as urgently as I do, but I must be careful not to violate the forum rules...

A HUGE "thank you-hoo" to all fellow forumers who mentioned the edits, the gap and everything else upthread!!
    Yardbirds ahoy!
    Th:)mas

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  14. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Yes, Gomelsky archives is a big mess. I heard rumours that all of his stuff was ended in bank vault somewhere in Paris after dispute with his ex-wife. There should be Yardbirds masters, Stones Richmond film from 1963 and other things

Mark Wilson likes this.
  15. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Hmm, do you think Keith would necessarily be drunk by the 2nd show? We all know he had his probs and occasionally got pissed big time, but I can't imagine he ended up that way each and every night - especially in this case where he knew the 2nd show would be recorded. His quickly strained voice may have been a constant issue, though and therby perhaps also on that night. Just speculating, though.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  16. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I got a response from my email:

It was recently brought to our attention that a recent batch of Yardbirds '68 CDs had suffered an audio glitch during the track Over Under Sideways Down on CD1 at around 02:14.

This issue does not affect the vinyl or Deluxe edition releases of Yardbirds '68.

We have identified the issue and we will be replacing the first CD from Yardbirds '68 (CD edition), free of charge, to you if your product has been affected.

We will be shipping a replacement disc in a clear plastic wallet to your original postal address early next week and would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused. Please disregard the original faulty CD1 and replace it with this new version.

We thank you for your continued loyal custom and patience while we have investigated this matter.

The JimmyPage.com Team

Good job, JimmyPage.com!

17. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

The liner notes for the new release say it was the first show. As for which show "White Summer" is from on the original release vs the new release, that's anyone's guess.

Yes, I just got this email too. I have to admit, I was not expecting them to do this. Kudos to them for doing so, and for doing it so promptly. :righton:

18. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

It will be interesting to see if they send out discs to all that ordered the CD's, or just to the "Nit pickers" who complain. I have a disc with the micro gap, I could not care less it is imo a nothing issue, I will not be complaining..

Mazzy, Mook and tmtomh like this.
  19. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

It'll only be the people who write to them.

For what it's worth, the gap doesn't bother me either.

Crimson Witch and Deek57 like this.
  20. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I have made a fixed disc using NERO, I split the faulty track at the gap, deleted the end part, reloaded the track again split at the gap and deleted the first part then I joined the two parts together, presto perfect disc for the car, cheers, (JTM)

Mook likes this.
  21. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

That's great news. I ordered through popmarket since I had a coupon at the time, but I sent a note to jp.com to see if I can get a corrected copy too.

Motorcity supernaut and tmtomh like this.
  22. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I could be wrong but I think you should be dealing with popmarket, they (popmarket) should take up the issue with shop@jp..

23. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Thanks, all of us who prefer to have a non-defective version of this long-awaited recording will rest more easily tonight knowing this.

tmtomh likes this.
  24. YardByrd

M
    McCarty said Page purposely chose the set where Relf was "more sober" (his exact words) when I interviewed him earlier this week

Dondy and Mark Wilson like this.
  25. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

That happened to The Springfield in NY too, must be a thing
    up there. Only in their case, it was no fault on the band's part:
    The promoter simply didn't want to pay the band's fee.