New Morrissey album, "Low in High-School"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DwarfMcDougal, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

He's pretty popular in Europe, US,South America so you could add reasonable sales figures for these areas as well i suppose. But yes, touring in decent size venues has to be the money maker these days.

2. wallpaperman

Me too, I quite like buzzjack, assume it to be reasonably accurate as they have been around for a while.

3. wallpaperman

Hardly a shock is it considering the Gallagher brothers' profiles are still very high in the UK, much of it down to their rather silly feud, plus Noel being part of one of the UK's biggest ever bands?

He's been doing the big promotional push this week, even caught an interview with him on BBC breakfast show while I was eating my cornflakes the other day, rather entertaining he was as well. Morrissey (nor many other artists) just won't get that sort of prime coverage.

4. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

Video is up for Jackys Only Happy When shes Up on the Stage and its great :)

JeffMo, Runicen, e.s. and 3 others like this.

5. Love this in an odd way.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  6. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Love it! Moz seems to have toned up a bit - important because he still whips his shirt off on stage.
    No references to the EU. I recommend that we stop reading the news - it's about an actress losing her mind IMO.

e.s. and SweetTea like this.
  7. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Love the video but I like the LP version of this song better. This kind of cuts off the big build up at the end.

oldturkey likes this.
  8. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Is that his band in the blue silk jumpers? Where Boz Boorer?

9. BeardedSteven

He's there in the back left when it first starts out. That is the full band.

e.s. likes this.
  10. portlandjulian

Yep hes there and nearly falls over when hes spins around at the 0.55 mark in the video :oops:

e.s. and BeardedSteven like this.
  11. BeardedSteven

Haha. You can totally see that. Poor Boz! :biglaugh:

On a related note, my friend and I saw Boz walking around the venue in St Louis and we cornered him for some very bad selfies. :laugh: But he was super cool and totally nice about it. He's goofy. I like Boz.

e.s., SweetTea and portlandjulian like this.
  12. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Oh he must have lost weight. I thought he was heavier last time I saw him.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  13. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

To me, this is a pale variation of a road he's already trod in the "You Have Killed Me" and "In The Future When All's Well" videos, replacing Eurovision with Shindig! and Alain Whyte "drumming" with a full band "dance sequence."

But, all in all, videos mean less than nothing nowadays. And he has made his fair share of stinkers.

14. SweetTea

SweetTea Forum Resident

The video is great! Makes me smile. Nice light hearted fun video. Cracks me up when Moz laughs at the beginning. Whew....Boz does nearly tumble! I've met Boz too & he was very nice. I don't think he has a mean bone in his body. His wife is just as nice. Just a lovely couple.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Runicen, e.s. and portlandjulian like this.
  15. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I wound up with a backstage pass for the Chicago Years of Refusal show and talked with Jesse for a good half hour or more. He was really nice. Probably helped that I was able to talk guitar gear with him.

As for the album, I can listen to it from start to finish easily, as long as I skip "I Bury The Living." It's the only song I don't like and I chalk it up as a bold, but ultimately failed experiment.

SweetTea likes this.
  16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Good video, song is ok but the lyrics are terrible. He really needs to give it a rest.
    Also I think he's a bit long in the tooth to be going without a shirt, even if he has started to shave his chest.

17. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Where did the ridiculous idea that this is about Brexit come from?

18. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Was half of his jacket collar meant to be turned up?

bob60 likes this.
  19. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

He did the track live at a show in Berlin a month ago or so and people were speculating that he was singing "Brexit" at the end, when it was, in fact, just "exit".

20. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Why wouldn't he have changed the lyrics to "Brexit"? He's come out in support of it in interviews.

21. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

He hasn't written a song about it... yet.

22. PlushFieldHarpy

That's the beauty of the new album, I think. It touches on a lot without being too specific. Although he does get very specific. Who would of thought Morrissey would have such a late career surge?
    I didn't hear World Peace Is None Of Your Business when it came out. But I thought the title was brilliant. Morrissey's voice is perfect for the times.
    He just needed the right song to catapult him back into relevance. I think Spent The Day In Bed did that.

TheWarmth and portlandjulian like this.
  23. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

He also said in an interview just recently that he did not sing "Brexit".

24. PlushFieldHarpy

True, but he's also doing a lot of dancing around. It would hardly be the most controversial thing that he's said recently.

25. portlandjulian

And he also said that Jacky, did not refer to the Union Jack, the National flag of the UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.