PInk Floyd-Japanesed Mini-LP 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norco74, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

Exactly! I got the Discovery Box Set, the Immersion Box Sets, The Division Bell anniversary set, the 2016/17 Vinyl and CD campaign and The Early Years Box Set (the big one), Gilmour live, Waters The Wall.... Probably forgot something. I really want to get these but having to really think about it for now. Might look in the new year and pull the trigger then.

Norco74 likes this.
  2. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good… Thread Starter

One thing for sure, PF completists and fans are spoiled since 2011!

DrZhivago and M.R.Collins like this.
  3. 400metres

400metres Forum Resident

I too am open to any creative ideas on how to get a hold of a box in the US. I got the same reply from CD Japan. I also tried Neco Kick on eBay with an offer to buy Endless River (the only one I passed on initially) from him and send him the rest of the coupons, but no luck. Frustrating to spend that much, have the coupons, and still probably have to pay an arm and a leg on eBay to get one.

4. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

What exactly is the process to redeem the coupons?

5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Pink Floyd have about 5 legendary albums. I wouldn't want the other 10.... :hide:

cmi likes this.
  6. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

My "DSOTM" and "WYWH" arrived today. Beautiful packaging and attention to detail.
    Waiting for "Animals" to arrive and I've also ordered "AMLOR".

7. Norco74

Let me guess your top5

Ummagumma
    TFC
    AMLOR
    TDB
    ER
    :goodie:
    :help:

8. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

You have to send in the coupons from each title in this series (Piper through Endless) and you must have a Japanese address. Disc Union nor any retailer over there will send a promo box outside of Japan.

Norco74 likes this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Meddle
    Dark Side Of The Moon
    Wish You Were Here
    Animals
    and some songs from The Wall 1 &2.

Norco74 likes this.
  10. Norco74

Received the second batch today. Again, Japanese reissues are up to their usual standard. Each mini LP replica includes:

-English language booklet containing photos, lyrics and credits. I assume that it is the same as the 2011 version.

-Japanese language black and white booklet.

-CD coming is a rice paper type protective sleeve.

-Cardboard inner sleeve replicating the LP inner sleeve. You might chose to put the rice paper sleeve package within this one or not.

-Original full size replica of the vinyl side A/B (C/D) label (s)

-Promo sheet of the 2017 mini LP reissue

-Extra backcover sheet printed with barcode. Actual cover not having a barcode. All mentioning PF Records.

-Nice album covers printed on quality cardboard. Again, cover inside is actually white. Not brown kraft cardboard à la Zeppelin recent reissue. Boy that looks very cheap! On more reason to keep your old Japanese editions.

-Orignal release OBI.

-All housed in a mini LP protective polysleeve.

-Japanese promo sticker on polysleeve.

Now the goodies:

-WYWH includes all the extra you will find in the vinyl set in miniature size (poster and postcard)

-The Wall, WYWH, and The Final Cut front cover stickers actually applied on cover.

-Animals cover artwork from the 2016 vinyl reissue. Booklet front/back artwork from the original artwork (sinister version).

That’s it! Overall excellent quality set. Collector’s pick strictly base on popularity and memorablia would probably be:

DSOTM
    WYWH
    PATGOD
    The Wall
    Meddle

PhantomStranger and joannenugent like this.
  11. Eric Weinraub

What i love about the WYWH replica is the Japanese only poster.
    Can the box be obtained in person in Japan? I mean if I flew to Japan with my coupons, could I get the box....

12. Eric Weinraub

About to place my order for my final 5....

PATGOD
    AHM
    More
    UmmaGumma
    Endless River

13. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

My next two will be 'The Final Cut' and 'Meddle' (budget permitting).

14. Eric Weinraub

...listening to the Division Bell right how. sounds fantastic. first time hearing this in decades.

Norco74 likes this.
  15. Norco74

Sounds fantastic on vinyl as well...

zinan likes this.
  16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Has anyone verified the Japanese CDs are using the 2011 remaster for all of these?

17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

pfausto likes this.
  18. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

A note regarding redemption of the box: I always just found a forum member from Japan to help me out. Mailed them the cupons and some cash to cover their expenses + time, and they mailed me the box when it came in. That is how I got boxes for the Lennon, Dylan, Bowie mini lp sets.

If you don't feel comfortable asking strangers, you can try contacting this Japanese service:

Japonica Market - Yahoo Japan Auction Shopping Agent Service

Which specilized in purchasing Japanes items for poeple from stores in Japan that do not ship overseas.

I have used their services several times to bid on auctions in Japan and I have always found them very professional and friendly. They also pack the items very well for shipping and will even double box an item on request.

But ya, if you are purchasing the entire set, it is definetly worth the effort to try amd get the box! Note the mail in deadline is end of the month though I think. So not a whole lot of time to mail the cupons to Japan. Good luck!!!

19. Norco74

I have contacted the above reference. They are providing this service and will apply on your behalf. Didn’t get into detailed pricing yet but the commission fee is around 35$. Then you have to add shipping and Paypal fee. Will not come cheap but nothing is nowadays. I am still undecided whether I will order it or not...

20. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Ya nothing from Japan is cheap! $20-30 USD seems reasonable to me for someone's time in Japan. Also, this is one redemption per address, so it takes them a bit of effort when they get multiple applicants. And while not heavy, these boxes are large so shipping is not cheap either!

I usually end up paying about $50 USD to redeem a box from Japan and ship to the US. Can't be helped really.

And to think, if you lived in Japan, getting the box would be absolutely free! Although, on the downside, apparently importing MFSL and AP titles over there is rather pricy....

Norco74 likes this.
  21. Norco74

Been in the service business, I find the rates to be fair. One thing for sure, there’s always an added value coming with anything related to Japanese products/services.

Reality check: Limited time promo box exclusively available within Japan by mail order. These guys know how to create rarety and cash upfront with it!

I will probably end up ordering it anyway as it will complete the set... Will have to cut off on upcoming releases... :winkgrin:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    dennis the menace likes this.
  22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I read this vinyl grew its value over the years. So glad I bought a copy when it came out. Was a bargain at that time.

Gee, that looks amazing! At the moment I only have the 2011 remasters of More and Animals (the PFR re-releases on digipack from 2016).
    Wish I could buy that CD box next year, though I'm sure it'll have a big prize because a) contains multiple discs; b) it's obviously limited; c) it's Japanese (and sadly I love Japan products!!^^)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

By the way, on Ebay I saw several (limited) CD boxes with Floyd album covers designed in Japan but without any disc content and they cost $70 each however.
    That's pretty much for just a bit of cardboard and paper, or?

zinan likes this.
  24. Norco74

I share your view, quit a price tag for an empty container!

Are you contemplating the idea of making your own deluxe version from exotic wood and laminated DSOTM prism cover at a fraction of the price? I am.

As for the actual mini LP campaign, will we ever see these empty boxes for sell on eBay?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Could happen. But probably in the same prize range as the other empty boxes or even higher.
    I don't know if the other limited CD boxes are official products but the recent one certainly is, getting high value later I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.