The Miles Davis album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Jan 16, 2008.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Correct. An old 70s boot - I have a copy. Any eq'd versions would be from that source.

2. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Finally listened to In Concert after I don't know how much time.

Indeed, the sound is not that good. But one gets used to it after a while. Either that, or the sound actually improves, I don't know.

Good call about “Chieftain” being the actual tune which starts the show and then segues into “Rated X”. Speaking of the latter, this is actually the first time the world heard this tune, the studio version having not been released yet in any form. I can't say that this version has anything going for it except the fact that you can hear Miles playing some trumpet on it, which does not happen at all in the studio version.

I really began liking the album during “Jack Johnson” – when Miles does that little melody at aboout 8:30 you can cleary hear a band enjoying themselves. They are cleary are having lots of playful fun. Big fun, so to speak. :)

Both “Ife” and “Right Off” are good listens, but, no, I'm not necessarily impressed.

LarsO and DTK like this.
  3. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

It is from that source. If there's interest, PM me.

DTK likes this.
  4. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

I will not disagree.

To be honest, I'm not that hot on KoB. I like it, don't get me wrong. I just admire it more than I love it.

Todd W. likes this.
  5. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Are we still having Big Fun on this thread?
    [​IMG]

6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I was inspired to stream In Concert after reading about it in this thread. First time listening for me, and I thought it was amazing. I'd love to find a good copy of it at some point. The grooves are very deep. I'm finding myself loving Miles' 70s output more and more these days.

Mr. Explorer, Scopitone and Stencil like this.
  7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I just found a sealed promo -1A copy on Discogs a couple weeks back, from the collection of a record industry executive in L.A. It sounds awesome to me.

crispi, DTK and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  8. Yesternow

I've been reading this thread for months. My favorite on the entire forum. I finally sign up and make my first comment... And a stupid one. Sorry Mr Crispi. Big Fun was on page 70 already.
    It came out in 74... after the "In" concert. Got confused.
    Just wanted to add that Guinevere was recorded on the same day as Lonely Fire. Probably first takes... Love that sound, what a day to be at the recording studio.

9. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Nice first comment. Thanks for posting at last!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Question that seemed best to ask here, since it has a high concentration of Miles enthusiasts:
    Was the US/EU CD version of Miles Davis In Concert (Recorded Live at Philharmonic Hall, New York) [C2K 65140] ever released in a jewel case? Or was this only released in a digipak?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Not sure. I used to have that version of Big Fun but it is long gone. On the current remaster of Big Fun with Bennie Maupin's liner notes, "Great Expectations" sounds off to me, like it was from a cassette with azimuth problems. The rest of it sounds fine.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

There's a funny story how Miles picked up David Crosby in his Lamborghini, drove to his house and played him the recording of Guinevere. David said he didn't like it and asked Miles to not credit him as writer. Now David likes it...

Mr. Explorer, eeglug and Yesternow like this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Never seen a jewel case, I think all the C2K album reissues were digipak. Have the early 90s issue in jewel case though.

Mr. Explorer and fatwad666 like this.
  15. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

On Sunday I’m going for a couple of hours bus ride and pick up a new (used) hybrid car and drive it back home. Would fit well to have another Miles album to listen to ;)

Paging dr. @crispi

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. Yesternow

I guess you mean Oct 22. On the bootleg series we have the first part of the performance that day.
    Here is the second:

I know, I know... you don't like Chancler, the band was tired and those songs are already on the great cellar door sessions.

But please have a listen.
    Compare it with other official live records of the time. It sounds amazing.
    When Bartz is about to do a solo my volume knows it has go up.

(hope it's ok to add a link - no other way to listen to this one)

Mr. Explorer and Crispy Rob like this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I found a vinyl copy of Aura, Miles' last orchestral album composed by Palle Mikkelborg, recorded in 1985.
    After not hearing it for a few years I had dismissed it, but it's actually really good and very interesting.
    Obviously, it's a modern classical composition based on Messiaen and Schoenberg, so it's not for everyone, but Miles is playing extremely well and it's a rare chance to hear him grappling with challenging music late in his career. Beautiful oboe and bass playing, and McLaughlin is on it too.

18. crispi

Hi Sir. Welcome to the thread.

I hope I can clarify your confusion: we are going by recording date, not release date. Obviously, in some cases it’s pretty complicated (especially during the electric period) but it worked out pretty well ‘til now. I feel that in order to better understand how Miles’s music changed, we have to follow the recorded chronology and not by how some executive at Columbia decided when to release a piece of music. Sorry if this offends those who were around when this music was released (I wasn’t) but that is the approach of this thread. Not a nostalgic one, but one of (re)discovery.

Mr. Explorer, jfeldt, Aura and 5 others like this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I enjoy the October/November 1971 shows a lot. Jarrett may have been upset not to have DeJohnette with him in the band but he was still a monster.

Mr. Explorer and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. Yesternow

Thanks Crispi for the welcome message and clarifications.
    Just wanted to ask you to -when possible- leave your comment at: "Jazz: What made you like it ?" thread. I guess I'm not alone in wanting to know how it started for you.

Mr Lonson already posted, no copy allowed tough :)

Mr. Explorer and crispi like this.
  21. crispi

Will do that as soon as I can.

Yesternow and Mr. Explorer like this.
  22. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I need to hear In Concert. I scarfed up a few unofficial live 70's Miles shows in the past few days- the 19/9/72 Boston show among them- crappy sound for a supposed soundboard recording:laugh:. If In Concert is anything like that gig (even if it only sounds marginally better, based on some of the comments here) then I am on that like white on rice.
    I also grabbed the November 5 and 8 '71 Copenhagen shows- some of that stuff is just nuts. Hearing Live Evil, "What I Say" and "Funky Tonk" blew me away, this was more of the same! No guitarist in the band in that October/Nov '71 period, yeah? Sounded to me like, in making up for the lack of a guitarist, that Michael Henderson is practically playing "lead bass" on some of these tunes, distortion units and all- the more 70's Miles I hear, that dude is rapidly becoming one of my favourite bass players!

crispi, Yesternow, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  23. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Michael Henderson kicked ass.

ohnothimagen, jfeldt, bradman and 4 others like this.
  24. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Have the 1967 'bootleg' recordings been covered in this thread?

25. crispi

Yes.

Mook likes this.