New Morrissey album, "Low in High-School"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DwarfMcDougal, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

He does a lot of dancing in the Jacky video :D

PlushFieldHarpy likes this.
  2. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I don't think he would deny it if he actually did sing "Brexit" on the live version. He clearly says "exit" on the studio version.

e.s. likes this.
  3. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

The ears of certain beholders wanted to hear "Brexit" for "exit," which was supported by "blacker than before" and "this country is making me sick."

Not this listener's ears, but those are, ahem, theories I've seen online.

SweetTea and oldturkey like this.
  4. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

Not this listeners ears as well, the trouble is there is always some web page on the internet to back up whatever view or theory you have about something, I guess thats the price we all pay ? Its a bit like years ago when if something was printed in the press it must be true, folks would say. Same today in a way, folks are just using a different form of media to get their news.

e.s. and oldturkey like this.
  5. Registred

Registred Forum Resident

Spend The Day in Bed on french TV. He doesn't look fully commited.

6. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Cue lights! I'm singing to my lover at night!
    Jackie's lover has left her (everyone -lovers- who comes must go...how can she fill up the page of every lost and lonely day) and she goes crazy (see the effects of sexual neglect). Becomes depressed (blacker than ever before) (black dog/black depression - not black people!). She's going nuts on stage so everyone leaves the theatre.

That is, unless it is all about Jacques (Up Yours) Delors. I don't think so.

e.s. and portlandjulian like this.
  7. Registred

Registred Forum Resident

Or a nod to Jacques Brel's Jacky who was translated into Jackie by Scott Walker ?

8. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

And Jackie Curtis.

Registred likes this.
  9. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Morrissey fans are over looking the song, I Bury The Living. It's totally epic, the last few minutes with only the guitar and Morrissey singing above it are stunning, very Johnny Marr like.

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's my favourite at the moment. I don't own the album yet but have listened to it all a couple of times. It has some bad lyrics but overall it's a decent album. Nowhere near as bad as most of the reviews make it out to be.

portlandjulian and mooseman like this.
  11. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Has he actually come out in support of it? I've seen statements from him supporting what he considered a blow against the establishment, but that's it. I get that our society as a whole is becoming less nuanced with every day, but it seems to me his point is that he supports people who feel they aren't being heard finally being heard.

Runicen likes this.
  12. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I can’t understand why he wears such terrible clothes these days, he was such a great dresser up until about the age of 40....

snowman872 likes this.
  13. Registred

Registred Forum Resident

I don't think he really changed the way he dressed (at least post smiths). He was already wearing a suit shirtless in Certain People I Know video or a transparent shirt in November Spawned a Monster.

14. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

It reminds me of the sort of clothes you'd see Irish men wearing in the 1970s/80s - like this guy on the inner sleeve of the Waterboys' Fisherman's Blues album:

[​IMG]

and I get the same sort of 70s Irish pub feel from the sleeve of this single

[​IMG]

or maybe he's just an old git now - so what?
    I saw a tweet complaining that the video for Jacky was too much Dad dancing. Well, what do they expect?

15. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I know he liked the way the majority voted against the establishment's advice. He was also a UKIP supporter when Farage was running it.

SweetTea likes this.
  16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

He is getting more and more Irish looking as he gets older.

oldturkey and bob60 like this.
  17. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Did he actually say he was a UKIP supporter? I can imagine him saying it just to annoy people.

18. SweetTea

SweetTea Forum Resident

It is one of my favorites on the album as well. The first time I heard it I shed a tear. I immediately listened again. I find it incredibly sad & moving.

mooseman likes this.
  19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Except he doesn't actually vote.

Again, I think the point is that he's against the two major parties, even though they way he's expressing it is a bit misguided.

MagneticNorthpaw and oldturkey like this.
  20. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

He said it was "Magnificent" or something like that. And for the reasons you stated. I don't really see that as being all that different as the people who voted for it.

21. popscene

popscene Senior Member

Don't make fun of Daddy's dancing!

Runicen and oldturkey like this.
  22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Well, this isn't the place to discuss it, but I'd argue there is a difference.

portlandjulian likes this.
  23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Yes that is true, a reviewer pointed out that he is looking increasingly like a suntanned Irish farmer from Donegal, and that was years ago.

But clothes wise he used to be so very stylish up until about 15 years or so ago. Of course as you get older and fuller of figure you cannot look the same or wear the same clothes but you can still look good. It sometimes looks likes he got dressed in the dark.
    Of course his great album sleeves also nosedived about the same time...

24. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Alright, I guess I need to revisit "I Bury The Living." The lyrics are definitely a bit ham-fisted, IMO. Maybe that's part of what rubs me the wrong way about it.

25. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I think he's still stylish - but in a 1970s Irishman sort of way. I'm sure it's his deliberate choice. He also looks a lot less alternative now his hair can't produce such a pompadour.
    BTW, what is the dangly thing that he often has around his crotch? (No - not that!)

portlandjulian, SweetTea and e.s. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.