New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Been done before

Been done before

This is the only known unknown. Our host Steve Hoffman has mocked the entire one-step process, and said that it does not result in a better sounding record. I don't know about that... but his is certainly an opinion worth considering. :)

The mono I have was pressed at QRP and does sound great. The stereo was pressed at RTI, and it also sounds great. I paid approximately $20 for each.

2. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I have to agree. Not only with this item but I bought several of their 45s from the recent half price sale and even though the total was way over the 100 dollar mark, they didn’t count toward free shipping. I’m becoming less of a fan of their business practices.

3. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

I am looking at this very differently than you do. Back in the day, vinyl was the baseline, Essentially the best sounding commercial format available for music. So everyone used it and was aware of its capabilities and limitations. Even back then, most people were not aware of the extreme differences between mass produced vinyl and more audiophile vinyl that was available, but it didn’t matter. What options did they have? Cassette? 8-Track?

Today, however, the baseline for music is clean, crisp, noise-free digital music, either in a physical format or streamed. For the most part people were satisfied with digital. Now if someone who never heard one of the older formats hears a vinyl record for the first time on a Crossley, I think the novelty is going to wear off fast because there is a huge gap in quality between crappy vinyl reproduction and baseline digital. If their first experience, however, is on a reasonably good turntable set up, I think the hook will be set and they will realize the benefits that vinyl reproduction offers.

Regarding the new gen UHQRs, like anything else in life, if someone doesn’t want to spend $100 on record, then just don’t spend it. Expensive vinyl is one of my few vices, It doesn’t hurt my health, and it’s cheaper than hookers and drugs.

rollo5, The Beave, giantleech and 4 others like this.
  4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just pre-ordered the UHQRs of Axis (both stereo and mono). Because these are pre-orders, they don't qualify for free shipping, but obviously I can't take a chance since these might sell out prior to being made "in-stock".

Joti Cover and Tommyboy like this.
  5. Vinylfindco

They did put a temporary hold immediately upon ordering though someone said earlier in the thread that it drops off in a few days. Still, it was a shock. I didn’t expect it

6. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

There is a video over at Vimeo explaining the process:

wbhendrix likes this.
  7. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I just cancelled my preorder for these. I listened to my $20 Sony LPs and they sound great. I honestly can't justify the cost of these.

lightbulb, Tuck1977, dee and 3 others like this.
  8. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I was undecided but I just preordered both of them anyway. It's an historic album and one of my favorites. I figured they will be long gone by pressing time. If I change my mind I will just sell them. There will be no regrets here!

FashionBoy likes this.
  9. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

They'll get one shot with "one step", with me. If these mono and stereo A:BAL sound spectacular, I'll buy future titles. If not, I'm done.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    The Beave and FashionBoy like this.
  10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Who said it hasn't been done before? I was just pointing our how this version might be better. The previous stereo master was done at Sterling by George Marino.

FashionBoy likes this.
  11. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Nobody said it hasn't been done before. I was just pointing out that it has. :)

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, this is what I was hearing, as well. If they can fix it maybe it will be superior. If not, they will be getting a bunch of returns.

Tommyboy likes this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I pre-ordered the records. The extra shipping cost sucks, but I will not take my chances. I can wait for the SACD's, as they are not limited.
    Music Direct didn't charge me extra for shipping on my S&G pre-order.

FashionBoy, Fred68 and Tommyboy like this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The Sony Legacy albums sound really good. I’m really happy with the entire EH Legacy run of albums. Top quality and very affordable.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’ll take Bernie Grundman over George Marino.

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No big deal. I went to the AS site, entered Jimi Hendrix and there they were.

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, Marino liked treble.

jgrillo and Tommyboy like this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The Sony vinyl editions of AYE and ELL tend to be a bit on the bright side, in spots. I still am very happy with them. Axis is terrific!

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I just preordered. I think Bernie is going to knock these out of the park. He already did so with the EH and Classic Records mono pressings of Axis.

20. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

That is a recent development

21. Vinylfindco

I’m glad I am not crazy. I thought if something is being rolled out with so much hype, it’s probably better. I purchased much of the Classic catalog on 180 black vinyl, both 45 and 33. The 45 speed was an obvious improvement. But the 200gm and Clarity re-do of the catalog was a big disappointment. I bought a few of the same 45s on Clarity and stopped after I realized that the vinyl formulation was worse, adding a fine grain to what was a black background. They sit on the shelf I unplayed since then.

lpjock likes this.
  22. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Well, I too had to preorder. Can’t take a chance that these are the ultimate pressings of one of my favorites. Will give them one chance on this series. Thank you for the heads up on the preorder.

Cassius, Fred68 and bluejimbop like this.
  23. Vinylfindco

I will now have 5 versions of this album, lol. I’m not rich but these will be easy to flip if they don’t measure up.
    The 1997 Stereo
    The 2010 Stereo
    The Classic Mono
    And the UHQR in Mono and Stereo

By the way, what is the consensus on the 1997 vs 2010. I gather that 2010 was preferred? I guess I’ll do a shootout next year.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    djost likes this.
  24. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

I have The Weavers at Carnagie Hall 45 RPM one side pressed,Miles Davis Kind of Blue,the four Peter Gabriel titles and
    Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells all Classic Records on Clarity vinyl and all sound really good,Tubular Bells is really astonishing one of my best records.

25. Vinylfindco

I agree there’s no question that these are good sounding masterings, it’s just in my comparisons between the same title on both types of vinyl, the black vinyl has a blacker background.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.