Next XTC Steven Wilson 5.1 remix - BLACK SEA

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil Tate, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Wow, I totally missed this. I think I assumed it was just another generic reissue. Thanks for filling in the blanks.

Goes to look for forum thread about it

2. One a year seems too slow.

3. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

It is what it is when you have to pay for a vault search, locate missing multi-track tapes, remix them, master demos, create packaging, write liner notes, get CDs and Blu's authored, order a pressing run and get 'em distributed.

Meanwhile, I have all the albums, 12" singles and 7" singles to enjoy while I await a new package. I'm a patient man.

4. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

5. It sounds really good.

6. DetroitDoomsayer

That's good to see. While the new regular CD edition has a nice little blurb about masters and what not, it does not mention that at all in the booklet or in the new liner under the disc.

It sounds so good, what a really well recorded and mixed album. No "mastering" needed!

MadMelMon likes this.
  7. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Regetting pre-ordering from amazon.ca. Still out of stock and not able to join the fun.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I think it means that John Dent at least transferred the tapes flat for the CD, but the vinyl was mastered by him.

9. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I'd say John Dent doesn't strike me as someone regularly doing flat transfers vs what he thinks a remaster needs, and I've never run across any comment that the new English Settlement CD was flat; but regardless it's a great remastering and as enjoyable as any other XTC I own. As a 2.0 guy, if that album never gets remixed I don't think I'm going to lose any sleep over it.

Thorpy likes this.
  10. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

But the photo that says "flat transfer" shows the LP packaging! Mysterious.
    Not to mention all the other demands on Steven Wilson's time. Between his many other remixing projects and his own thriving musical career, he can't really make XTC reissues his full-time gig.

11. DetroitDoomsayer

There's no mystery, that part of the LP packaging houses the CD copy. Why would they print "flat transfer" on the CD part of the packaging if it wasn't referring to what the card is holding?

Plan9 likes this.
  12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Oh I didn't know they provided a CD with the vinyl. Is there any chance however small that vinyl package CD is different than the standalone CD; probably not I guess.

13. SJB

Ah, I don't have the LP so I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification. Looking closer at the posted photo, I now see that's a CD in the middle, not an LP label.

If that CD is a flat transfer, then the standalone CD probably is too - why go to the trouble and expense of preparing two different discs?

jamesc likes this.
  14. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

15. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

DR numbers for the 2016 standalone English Settlement CD if anyone wants to compare:

foobar2000 1.3.15 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2017-12-02 10:21:48

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: XTC / English Settlement {2016 Remaster}
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR12 -0.02 dB -13.31 dB 4:34 01-Runaways
    DR12 -0.09 dB -13.74 dB 4:31 02-Ball and Chain
    DR12 -0.05 dB -13.80 dB 4:50 03-Senses Working Overtime
    DR11 -0.07 dB -12.62 dB 6:09 04-Jason and the Argonauts
    DR12 -0.07 dB -13.37 dB 5:10 05-No Thugs in Our House
    DR13 -0.07 dB -14.16 dB 3:56 06-Yacht Dance
    DR11 -0.07 dB -12.42 dB 5:23 07-All of a Sudden (It's Too Late)
    DR13 -0.08 dB -15.23 dB 6:34 08-Melt the Guns
    DR12 -0.09 dB -14.02 dB 5:01 09-Leisure
    DR12 -0.09 dB -13.16 dB 3:55 10-It's Nearly Africa
    DR12 -0.10 dB -13.35 dB 4:31 11-Knuckle Down
    DR12 -0.09 dB -13.56 dB 3:18 12-Fly on the Wall
    DR12 -0.09 dB -13.53 dB 5:27 13-Down in the Cockpit
    DR12 -0.08 dB -13.75 dB 3:59 14-English Roundabout
    DR13 -0.09 dB -14.49 dB 4:59 15-Snowman

Number of tracks: 15
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 927 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

sparkmeister likes this.
  16. I didn't expect Wilson to give up his career for XTC . Just stated that it seems too slow to me. I think everyone would prefer to get them sooner than later but it is what it is. I also thinl everyone realizes that Wilson has another career.

Plan9 likes this.
  17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I pre-ordered from Burning Shed, and it shipped, without tracking, on 11/20. Still haven't received my copy yet.

Anyone else in the US that purchased from Burning Shed not received their copy yet?

18. I got my copy this past week.

I really do miss the transitions between some of the tracks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Downsampled likes this.
  19. SJB

I know, it's the dissonance between understanding why it takes so long vs. wanting to have the dag nab thing already. My superego sits serenely on the mountaintop, counseling patience, while my greedy little id is trying to jimmy open the trunk of Steven Wilson's car where, surely, he keeps advance copies of the next ten years of planned releases.

No sign of my copy yet. I'm wondering which signature variation will be on my postcard. Full name in black, plus initials in silver?

Runicen likes this.
  20. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Runicen likes this.
  21. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

You'd think that, right? That would certainly be the reasonable answer. But the CD included with the vinyl box says "flat transfer" on the disc itself. The different artwork doesn't necessarily mean it's a different mastering of course, but given the way the industry handles things, I'm not prepared to assume.

I'm off to rip and compare. Will report back.

bmoregnr likes this.
  22. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Same for me. Nothing yet.

23. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Good news, everybody. DRs are the same. Looks like the same mastering.

24. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Just got mine in today's mail, sig required. The 'tracking' might as well not have been there at all. It was tracked from England to JFK, NY, then it curiously went to Alabama. And from there it seemed to come up the coast by tugboat to Virginia, with no ability to 'track' it accurately, despite a tracking number provided originally by Royal Mail (and then handed off to their US carrier).

So here's hoping the tugboat steams into your towns very soon.

jamesc, DaverJ and sharedon like this.
  25. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Thanks for checking that! I was browsing the dedicated English Settlement thread for the info, but there was nothing.

MadMelMon likes this.