The Rolling Stones On Air In The Sixties Book and Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Very simple in my opinion. Those compiling and producing archival releases for ANY artist / group are simply putting out product. There's very little consideration put towards things like legacy and quality. The recent Queen "News Of The World" box is a classic case in point. Ditto The Who's "Super Deluxe" sets. All that needs to happen is stuff coming out to satisfy whatever contractual obligations have been agreed to. The pressure on management and record companies for archive material is huge and so long as SOMETHING is there, they could care not a jot as there IS something they can point to.

Sadly, those of us who would do the best job possible are never in the frame for consultation in the planning stages.

PhantomStranger and ash1 like this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Even if they didn't duplicate songs, it is still a little disappointing that they didn't include at least one version of each song played. I wonder if they are holding material back for a future release.

Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Is the double cd edition a slipcase or digipack? Interesting booklet?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Mines a digipack, will listen to this later today.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Willy

What are the upgraded tracks? If I may ask.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It does sound slick, but not as natural as the bootleg material. I haven’t heard the upgraded set yet. The additional reverb added to the vocals makes the performances sound less intimate.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’m surprised Not Fade Away wasn’t included in place of one of the tracks that were taped off of AM radio.

mooseman and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

What they have done to these recordings, is naturally not going to be in the taste of the purists.
    I happen to think that some of the tracks on this release has been enhanced for the better.
    As I said, there are plenty of bootlegs out there. In better quality for some of it.
    Then go and listen to that, instead of wasting energy complaining of something you can't change anyway.

I have never said there is nothing wrong with not liking the sound. And thankfully, there are plenty of boots available for them. All in all, it's simply a question of jealousy and frustration for certain people, that they can't accept it to be presented differently from their own vision. This is a commercial product, sanctioned by the band. If you want something else, then listen to your alternative sources. The majority of people couldn't care less. They want the music.
    And there is nothing here that are 'objective'. It's totally a subjective thing to prefer the boots or the new release. I happen to like part of the former and part of the latter.

Yes, I know this is an audiophile forum. And I also know that some people here can't enjoy music unless it's presented excactly the way THEY want it to be. If you don't like the album, fine. Then listen to your boots. Certain people here are just jealous and frustrated that they can't control the product for the masses as they want to.

Sean, danielbravo, The Beave and 3 others like this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

So what if it’s sanctioned by the band? It doesn’t mean people have to like it. Additionally, I don’t see this as jealously by those who don’t care for the sound. It’s only a record.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    goodiesguy and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

And certain people here think this is a forum where we talk about how great every release is and how everything is 100% positive all the time no matter how you look at it, and how it's all worth spending money on. And they are highly critical of those who complain. Thankfully I live in the real world.

11. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Thanks. I forgot about Honky Tonk Women. I have that on a boot. As for Gimme Shelter:

12. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Who's playing harmonica?

13. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Mick. Only the singing is live.

Matthew Tate and Shaddam IV like this.
  14. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

@munjeet - thanks for asking about this. I'd never heard it before and don't think I've ever heard anything quite like it. VERY cool.

TonyCzar and aoxomoxoa like this.
  15. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I though it was not forum for majority of people. Majority of people won't ever listen to that stuff, they will listen to Hot Rocks.
    Sanctioned? Seriously? Did you seriously think Mick or Keith even bothered to spend 5 minutes of their life to listen to this release at all?

goodiesguy and James_S888 like this.
  16. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Also there are a lot of Stones collectors on this forum who are just glad it’s been released officially and enjoy buying the physical product.

I know what I would prefer, an unofficial bootleg or an official release from the label that I can keep and collect, even if the boot sounds slightly better.

Sean, Matthew Tate and danielbravo like this.
  17. I have (paid for) BBC collections by the Beatles Kinks Bolan Bowie Zeppelin and probably a few others and this Stones collection is the worst of all of them.

I’m shocked and stunned.

bobcat, goodiesguy, mooseman and 2 others like this.
  18. WonkyWilly

How does this help people who want real, useful advice? That's what I don't get about the nicey-nice brigade on this forum. How is it constructive to talk about how great everything is regardless of how bad it really is?

19. Exile On My Street

IMO, a release such as this has more to do with the historical content than the actual performance/recording.

I never expected this to be an audiophile release. I can't imagine many people giving this very many spins to begin with. It's something you purchase to have and then it sits on the shelf.

It could be better but I'm a glass is half full kind of person. It could have been worse and not existed at all.

mbrownp1 and Tommyboy like this.
  20. WonkyWilly

That's true, but I don't think anyone is really expecting audiophile quality...just the best quality possible...and this official set doesn't deliver.

21. hallucalation

Stones BBC stuff is essential stuff for fan. In some cases perfomances even surpass studio versions. This is only quality document of hungry young band live

22. Exile On My Street

I know your post wasn't directed at me but the negativity seems to pervade every thread where the Stones release something, whether it be bonus tracks, vault releases, BBC recordings, a new album..it appears that most people are dissatisfied no matter what the product is or how it sounds. It's never as good as the boots, the bonus tracks on SF were incomplete, the new album is all covers, the BBC sessions sound like crap...etc,..

I'm a huge Stones fan and I've all but given up on any Stones discussions. It appears to me that no matter what is released there is a group of people who go out of their way to find everything wrong with it. This, of course, does not mean some of the complaints are legitimate, but it does express in a subtle way how spoiled we've become and cannot see that just having this stuff officially available is a gift for many people.

23. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Are you referring to the vinyl? if so, my amazon order is on delay. I've got the cd's, but not listened to yet. I might cancel my LP order with all the negativity so far in this thread.

24. WonkyWilly

I certainly don't fall into that category, as I feel that they have been doing a great job with the deluxe bonus material and concert vault releases, and I am always willing to reccommend great sounding Stones discs. But this release is a whole other ball of wax. It could have been something really special, but instead they half-assed it. Disappointing for sure, and worthy of the negativity IMO.

25. hallucalation

Well, Stones In Mono release was quite good. As Satanic Majesties Request recent deluxe. I'm sure if ABCKO was allowed to do this, it would be much better.

goodiesguy and yardbuzzard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.