Rush A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Oct 19, 2017.

1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I must be rusty and getting old

RangerXT likes this.
  2. pool_of_tears

Well, if you take all of the 1988 performances from the Show of Hands cd and the audio from the Show Of Hands laserdisc (w/Lock & Key), you could make a home-made 1988 set...the only 2 songs missing would be Limelight & Red Lenses, if I recall correctly.

I think Hold Your Fire is a slight dip in quality after Power Windows, but some great high points (Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Mission, Turn The Page).

RangerXT, Rupe33, DiabloG and 2 others like this.
  3. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

You may be right, maybe Hold Your Fire is a little long (50 minutes) and diluted, Power Windos flows smoother as an album altogether and just 5 minutes or so shorter. Hold Your Fire is the only Rush album I had for 3 years until I bought 2112, so I kind of got used to it and appreciated it with that one on one time, but I would agree Power Windows is the superior album. I think this album is the peak of the band experimenting with synths and commercial sounds and maybe that's why I incline towards HYF in the end.

Merging both releases would be a great idea. To be honest I wouldn't miss Limelight that much as it's pretty well performed and presented in its respective 1981 tour. That's why I love single, complete gigs from album tours, they dedicate the show (in most cases) to play the album around the time it was recorded and the band chooses what they want people to hear. I can't say the same thing about Red Lenses though, any 80s performance would do!

RangerXT, DiabloG and Hymie the Robot like this.
  4. pool_of_tears

Oh, I'm all in for complete live sets from Rush...from 79-88:

76: All The World's A Stage covers things perfectly.
    77/78: Hammersmith 1978 (full set) covers it perfectly
    79: not sure if stuff was multitracked...the 1979 Tucson board works pretty good.
    80: Manchester, Glasgow, St. Louis
    81: Edmonton, Montreal...maybe others
    82/83: not sure
    84: Toronto
    86: New Jersey Meadowlands...maybe others
    88: Phoenix, New Orleans, San Diego, Birmingham, U.K.

90: Hartford, CT
    92: Oakland, CA
    94. Madison, WI...killer set
    96: Houston, TX...perfect show from the 1st leg...me wants the complete 6/14/97 show from Tinley Park (see Different Stages)...I was there!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  5. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Excellent list! I'm in as well, but I would go all the way back to Caress of Steel for this one. I doubt there are any multitracks or soundboard recordings available, but for the longest time I've been dying to hear the Jan 10th 1976 Massey Hall gig for the setlist alone! That show by itself provides me with everything I need as far as live material is concerned from the first three albums.

I agree with AtWaS covering everything nicely, but I would love a full gig release, if only just to have the correct order of the setlist, but I'm just fine with this album.
    77/78 apparently the best of the best, can't wait to hear this.
    79: I really hope multitracks surface. The Tucson gig blew me away, definitely in my top 5 as of yet unreleased live albums. I hope this sees the light of day next year.
    I agree with the 80s sources and setlists, you mentioned a couple there I wasn't familiar with but sounds just nice. I hope this gets released someday. Any word if Neal Peart is a fan of the idea? I think he really despises bootlegs from what I read. Anyways, one can dream!

Matthew Tate, RangerXT and jay.dee like this.
  6. Hoops12

Hoops12 Well-Known Member

How about talking A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary release?
    Does the cd sound good? Is it an upgrade from the original US version?
    The thread is 15 pages long and I am yet to read a good analysis of the cd.

7. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I don't know if I'm a sucker or what, but when I ordered the 4LP set from Amazon, the price was $80. I just saw my pre-order savings email and the lowest price was apparently $45 so that's what I've paid. Now that's what I'm talking about; that is a good deal! And it couldn't come at a better time.

RangerXT likes this.
  8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Not many have it.

Matthew Tate and RangerXT like this.
  9. Hymie the Robot

...I should add it is surprising to see 5.1 reviews before vinyl here...

Matthew Tate, RangerXT and JediJoker like this.
  10. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

how does this Edmonton tape sound? Is it as good as St. Louis 80?

RangerXT likes this.
  11. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I'm in the middle of a self-imposed "A Farewell To Kings Day (Saving vinyl for another day perhaps...CDs only.)

My immersion today includes:

Original US Atomic
    '97 US Remaster
    Sector release
    Deluxe Edition

Different Stages Disc 3
    Full Hammersmith show

Got through the studio versions and, as expected, the deluxe edition CD is now my go to for this studio release. The original US, however flat, sounded the best previously overall.

The veil that seemed to be on the Sector release has been lifted and this version sounds the closest to a few of my vinyl copies.

I'm very happy with the sound of this.

Should get to the concert tonight and imagine I'll be equally pleased based on the you tube samples.

12. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

It's comparable. It has that feel.

Overture/Temples and A Passage To Bangkok were the only live bonuses on the previous 2112 deluxe edition and those are only available on that edition.

I suppose the assumption would be that there is a whole tape, but whether it sees the light of day is another question entirely.

RangerXT likes this.
  13. pool_of_tears

Edmonton was multitracked. I’ve not heard it, though

RangerXT likes this.
  14. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

When you refer to the studio version do you mean the Blu Ray or CD version in the new set?

RangerXT likes this.
  15. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

CD.

Not bothering with the Blu Ray just yet.

BSC and RangerXT like this.
  16. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

That Wilson hype.

RangerXT likes this.
  17. A different mix of these same recordings was broadcast on the King Biscuit Flower Hour back in the 80's. It could have been the same mix as the VHS and Laserdisc. There used to be cassette tapes making the traders circles of the radio broadcast. In any event, a rip from Hi-Fi VHS or PCM audio Laserdisc would probably sound really good.

18. Hymie the Robot

What hype? Doubt that.

19. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

If there is anyone out there who has the new boxed set and is looking to part with the Blu-Ray, please PM me! I know chances are slim, but I figured I would ask anyway....

rbichamp, RangerXT and JediJoker like this.
  20. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Never bothered to check this but I seem to think that the King Biscuit broadcast IS a different mix than the original Rush release in 1986..

The only cassette bootleg I ever bought was this show thinking it was something else.

I imagine this, the vinyl and CDs were taken from the broadcast and not from the video when it was released. Probably need to check that out.

RangerXT likes this.
  21. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

As you said chances might be slim as I asked same thing in post 119(Oct.21) to pm me if anyone can part with the bluray to PM me.
    Nothing but crickets so far .........

rbichamp and RangerXT like this.
  22. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Here's the thing: for those who only listen to vinyl, there's the vinyl box. For those who only do 2-channel digital, there's the CD set. The only way to get the Blu-ray is in the kitchen sink box, so if you're into multichannel, that's your only option. I imagine there will be more people buying the big set just to have the Blu-ray than to have everything but the Blu-ray.

23. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Damn shame you have to pay $100+ to get the Blu-ray....epic fail!

24. pool_of_tears

Getting back on track, I just got back from a friend’s house, as he has the new set. We did A/B comparisons, with our ears, for disc 3 of Different Stages vs. the Terry Brown mix of the Hammersmith show. Not the full show, but only sections of specific songs. I’ll wait to hear the full thing when I get my copy soon. No EAC or looking at waveforms. I must say, not only is the new mix better than that on Different Stages, but the sound is dynamic...nice at a low volume, and springs to life when cranked. I’m ready to order my set in the next few days.

laf848, RangerXT, jay.dee and 6 others like this.
  25. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Any vinyl reviews yet???

RangerXT likes this.