Old Australian pop show 'Countdown'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redfloatboat, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I bought Lodger and Stage at Tower Records in Ivanhoe. They somehow got them a full week before any other shop. Aussie pressings too.

Some guy told me that Aladdin Sane was going to lose it's gatefold because the silver made it too expensive to print so I bought the next UK copy I saw. Archie & Jughead's I think.

2. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

And he was correct - the copy I bought at Pop-In was the mid 70's single sleeve UK edition. No gatefold, no silver.

Mylene likes this.
  3. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Did Bowie get a decent run on Countdown ?

4. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

He never appeared in studio however Molly was a buddy of his, interviewing him several times.

Mylene likes this.
  5. Kingsley Fats

Did they play any of his music ?

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yes Molly was a huge fan. Remember him once playing a snippet of Heroes after raving about how good it was. Ashes To Ashes was a number one so that clip was shown quite a few times.

7. Kingsley Fats

I thought that Bowie may have been too adult for Countdown. Molly would have honed in on Bowies bisexual schtick.

8. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Not really, I recall kids my age (13) around 1980 loved Bowie. Ashes To Ashes was huge in that demo. And when Lets Dance came out it was all over Countdown

John Buchanan and Mylene like this.
  9. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yes Scary Monsters was given the royal treatment I seem to remember Countdown made a big thing of premiering the Ashes To Ashes clip. Then of course Lets Dance was all over Countdown the film clip to the song of the same name being filmed in Australia too. I remember DJ being played when it came out during Humdrum, but from Scary Monsters and after Bowie was always a presence through new albums and touring.

10. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Countdown started towards the end of 1974, just as Bowie was heading down the path of respectability rather than outrage. So no Starman, John,I'm Only Dancing or The Jean Genie on Countdown.

Visually, in 75 there was Skyhooks (but lyrically much closer to the observational Kinks, with Aussie humour thrown in), Sherbet - hovering between teenybopper appeal and puppy love and one offs like "William Shakespeare".

The UK and US "outrage" was received second hand here in Australia - remember no tours until late 1978, and then just a normal guy playing some of his earliest and largest stadium shows - 40,000 at the MCG in 78.

11. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

12. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Hilarious

cmcintyre likes this.
  13. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

It's Still Rock n Roll to Billy :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.