Justice League (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Definitely!

Even 10 years ago, he seemed to verge on "has-been" status. Cripes, in 2006, Downey was relegated to a supporting part on Tim Allen's "Shaggy Dog"! :eek:

"Iron Man" became one of the all-time comeback films - it took him from supporting parts to leads overnight...

2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I was waiting for the Black Superman, and very disappointed he never showed up

The Hud likes this.
  3. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I remember seeing him with a small role in "Good Night and Good Luck" (a movie I actually enjoyed) and thinking "I guess he needs the paychecks".

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

How's about Natural Born killers, don't know if that was the beginning if his 'comeback or not....also, that comedy he did spoofing action flicks where he plays the white guy playing a black guy. Again, don't know if it's part of his 'comeback' phase but....

5. Oatsdad

Actually, I'd view "GN&GL" as part of Downey's "reclamation project". That one was a "prestige project" and something that probably helped him get back into good graces.

"Zodiac" - where he played a bigger role - fell into the same category: baby steps back into the mainstream...

Simon A likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

"Killers" was 1994 - before he needed a comeback!

Downey's career didn't collapse until he became a liability in the second half of the 90s. In the 1st half, he was a decent star.

"Tropic Thunder" - the comedy to which you refer - was summer 2008, so it came out a few months after "Iron Man". It definitely helped his comeback...

7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It’s truly remarkable.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I worked on Shaggy Dog for two months, and Downey was very nice, a total pro, and on time every single day. Also a very smart guy. I think he was very anxious to make sure he made a good impression on the studio execs.

Although... he and Jon Favreau kind of had a schism on the project. Favreau fought to get Downey cast as Iron Man, and Disney/Marvel was very reluctant to believe in him, The director put his job on the line for it and won big... but then on Iron Man 2, Downey got an enormous raise and was reportedly very difficult with the director and clashed frequently over "creative issues." I think this is a big reason why Favreau stepped down and stopped making Marvel movies.

Warner's hasn't had this problem, and I think Chris Nolan was strong enough that he could get Christian Bale to do what was necessary to get all three Dark Knight movies done. The new crew... I dunno. I feel like any of them is pretty much replaceable, except maybe for Gal Gadot (at the moment).

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Because he isn't a very good actor and they can get better people?

I certainly don't rate him I tolerate him in some films that are otherwise OK but I tend to avoid him.

The thing is that really Marvel (and the others) are getting the cream of young acting talent in their films, and that is one of the reasons they are so good. Plus brilliant more established actors.

Tom Hardy is going to play Venom, Oscar winner Bree Larson is playing Captain Marvel, Tom Huddleston, Michael Fassbender, Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Kate Blachett, Tilda Swinton, Josh Brolin...I mean you could go on and on.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I think he'd be great preferably in a MaRvel film. Tarantino rates him, so nuff said.

11. alexpop

So all that is coming out from D.C. in 2018 is Aquaman?

Wow! DC has missed the boat royally.

Marvel : 2018
    Ant Man Ant Woman
    Black Panther( impressive trailer)
    A- Infinity Wars.

12. Oatsdad

Favreau still acts in the Marvels, though - he had a surprisingly large role in "Homecoming"!

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

She's called 'The Wasp', not Ant Woman! Jesus, get the the name right.

Have you never read any Avengers comics?

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

Oops. Lazy post.
    Thanks for the correction.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

True -- he is still Downey's limo driver, Happy Hogan.

16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I could see Cruise coming into a Marvel film as a villain, one and done. If they ever get Fantastic Four right and go with the concept that Doom is incredibly handsome and only has one small scar on his face, he could be interesting in that role.

On the DC side, I don’t know. Maybe a Swanp Thing reboot where they go full Alan Moore? Get Cruise to play Alec Holland and replace him with a CGI Swamp Thing.

17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Original Green Lantern artist; Gil Kane, said his inspiration was Paul Newman. I could see Cruise as a Ben Afleck-aged Green Lantern.

Sidenote - Man, I saw him in the Mummy recently, what a stinker that was! But I also recently saw him in American Made and thought it was some of the best work he's done in a long time so....

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

I like both, but American Made is a bit of a classic.

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I could sort of see Cruise as Green Lantern, except that he really is too old (he's nine years older than Affleck, who is too old be Batman himself at this point). Cruise would be better than Ryan Reynolds though. They really missed the boat with him. Reynolds would be a perfect Guy Gardner, but he's no Hal Jordan.

20. alexpop

Green Lantern was pretty good,maybe a tad to green screen.

21. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident

So a question:
    Why have the DC films seemed to have failed to make any distinct imprint with audiences? Why do these characters seem so uncool compared to Marvel? I thought DC was the higher selling comic line...?

22. alexpop

Don't rate any of tbe DC characters including WW, movie wise. Early sixties I liked DC comics. But once Lee/Kirby Marvel comics came along they revolutionized the genre with innovative story's /drawings.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

DC owns a property that IMO would be the perfect vehicle to 'reboot' their failing film franchise's. The New Frontier, written and drawn by the late, great Darwyn Cooke, would make an outstanding live action movie. It's already been released as a (very, very good) cartoon movie but it's got everything, a great story, the classic characters and most importantly, the perfect tone. I really believe this will be made someday. It's a true no brainer!;)

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I don't think DC has been the higher seller, apart from the Batman comics. Since Marvel came on the scene with Spidey and the FF and Avengers etc in the 60's I think they have been more dominate. Superman and Wonder Woman were pretty much one dimensional. Then you had the X-Men explosion with Giant Size X-Men which launched all those titles. I think DC's Teen Titans was popular but Marvel had better books and more of them. DC kept on having reboots which was annoying as well, but their status was really held high (although they were not always big sellers) by the Vertigo stuff and off-beat comics like Swamp Thing, Watchmen, Sandman, Preacher etc. If you list the really great DC stories it is mostly this more mature stuff with some Batman stories thrown in.

So the real creative juice DC has are these minor characters and instead of making great movies with these people they have gone for the old war horses. They have cool characters to use but they have relegated them mostly to TV shows like with Preacher.

It's a matter of opinion but I think they have got the tone all wrong from day one. Nolan's trilogy is superb but you don't need to base everything on that which is one particular type of DC story (the darker comics of the 80's). DC I always see as more colourful and fun and there is none of that in the films. You don't want to go to far into the 'camp' sixties Batman and the awful last two films of the 90's, but say more in line with the JLA cartoons, given DC's universe spanning nature I have always thought their films should be more like the Guardians films or Thor Ragnarok.

I think Marvel has also been much more ready to let the creators create rather than making the films by committee and ruining them in the process.

25. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Renner was the lead in The Bourne Legacy. I thought that was pretty good.

Simon A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.