New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I would say the hardest part is keeping LP's sorted in Alphabetical order in my case. It's easy to get LP cardboard box's to store them in.
    But, after filling up all the wall space with vinyl in a sorted condition, I'm finding it very difficult to keep the boxed vinyl sorted properly.
    Thank God for Discogs, or I would be buying things over and over again, not knowing I already have it. :shrug:

dvcarrick, wbhendrix and Fred68 like this.
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes you did Gordon!!!!!

I said I didn’t like the Barkley mono pressing of AYE. I misspelled Barclay. Nothing about the Berkeley album. Read the post again. I’m not getting into a pissing match with you over this

marcfeld69 and Gordon Johnson like this.
  3. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Crime of the Century is at the top of my list for MOFI's UD1S 2x45 treatment and presentation. I hope that that title will wind up with them.

Drew769, POGunter and Gordon Johnson like this.
  4. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Doing some closer listening to the versions I have, a bit of a shootout if you will. I just listened to the 1997 Stereo, followed by the 2000 Mono. Much prefer the mono in this case, which surprised me because I’ve always considered the stereo effects integral to the album. Much more propulsive and cohesive. I’m finding I don’t miss the effects, they seem kinda gimmicky, where the mono really rocks and has a better balance. Grundman did an excellent job on this Classic reissue. I’m so glad now I preordered the mono as well as the stereo. I have a feeling that mono will be the one to have, and being extremely limited, will be difficult to get and expensive immediately upon release.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  5. TheSixthBeatle

TheSixthBeatle Quae nocent, saepe docent

Well I can't nearly fill a wall at this point--good problem to have. But I do buy multiple copies sometimes, for lack of short-term memory. Somehow wound up with 3 Cisco pressings of Heart Like A Wheel. Maybe in part it's "Internet derangement syndrome" -- a keyboard and a mouse, and mass quantities of refreshing beverages = bold purchasing decisions. It's why I stopped collecting coins.

Fred68 and Slick Willie like this.
  6. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

There's something magical about the mono, you hear the incredible Hendrix guitar tone and as you said there is no distraction with the stereo effects — the mono is a completely different record for me.

Vinylfindco and Gordon Johnson like this.
  7. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Ordered one of each so I can compare them. I asked the nice lady who answered he phone if they were also doing Are You Experienced and Electric Ladyland and she did not know.

Biggest kick in the pants was that I need to wait until SEPTEMBER for them to arrive. This is just crowd funding by another name. Hopefully they will be worth the wait.

bluejimbop and Fred68 like this.
  8. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

The lady on the phone told me that the albums would indeed be shipped FedEx.

9. glide

glide Forum Resident

Release date of late summer 2018?!

AS has been touting the UHQR line for years now. MoFi definitely beat them to the punch and the one-step process is more of a justification for the price tag than the “clarity vinyl”

That being said, I preordered both titles.

giantleech likes this.
  10. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Barkley, Barclay, Berkeley. Got ya now Tommy!

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Whatever Gordon

marcfeld69 likes this.
  12. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

I respectfully disagree.

I think the less cluttered the production and recording, the more the instrumentation should be able to breathe using the UHQR process. Can you imagine if some Michael Hedges recordings were given this treatment?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    John D. and mick_sh like this.
  13. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

I’m guessing that Chad realized that there are enough completists out there that would order both versions without blinking. Seems like many here confirmed that.

I’m spinning his AP Shelby Lynn 2x45 now and honestly I can’t see how it can get much better than this. Looking forward to September.

14. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Exactly, especially as this album was recorded/mixed with the intention of using the stereo spectrum to it's then full potential as part of the listening experience. There are certain tracks, musical passages and guitar solos that take advantage of stereo's ability to pan sounds left and right that you completely lose the effect of with the Mono mix, as there is just no way to achieve that on one mixed down track.

Granted, I'm sure there are those who might prefer a Mono mix for it's centered "punchiness", and in some cases, those can and do sound better. Take The Beatles Sgt. Pepper, for instance, where the band, producer and engineers spent more time getting the Mono mix perfected than they did the Stereo one. However, that was not the case here, and my preference is to hear the music the way the artist intended it to be heard, which is in Stereo.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Tommyboy and ssmith3046 like this.
  15. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Wurd!

16. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I prefer the mono mix of Axis with the exception of the Bold As Love.
    Seems like the guitar is mixed slightly lower than the stereo version and that gives the songs a bit more punch.
    Mitch deserves an award for his drumming on this album.

t-man 54 and mick_sh like this.
  17. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

I'll co-sign that.

18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I kinda agree here. But at some point, they'll price me out. I'm looking at the $450 AP reel-to-reel reissues, and even The $350 ERC vinyl reissues. There's obviously a market - go 1%ers! - but it's crazy for me.

Tommyboy likes this.
  19. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Ok so I'm still confused. I watched the video tour of these reissues. So basically, we're paying $100 for quiet vinyl and a level of quality control (visual inspection of each disc) that should exist for EVERY release? I don't get it. At least with the MoFi 1-Step you get a 45 rpm release and a novel process that you can sort of wrap your mind around costing twice as much as their other 45 releases to develop and produce. Here you get...a fancy box. You don't get anything that shouldn't already accompany any audiophile release costing $30+.

RandelPink, AnalogJ, rollo5 and 7 others like this.
  20. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I totally agree with your assessment. My money is better spent with the MoFi One Step. :cheers:

markmck79 likes this.
  21. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I agree. I’m going to try the first one but it’s going to have to really sound strikingly superior or I’m out for future releases. I don’t want to encourage this upward trend. The MOFI one steps are a different story. We shall see.

wbhendrix, POGunter and markmck79 like this.
  22. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I think a lot of these are bought as investment or to flip immediately or when they are sold out.
    Even over here people ask $200 without blinking once.
    Really bugs me...

23. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

This will be the first time that Bernie Grundman cuts stereo ABaL, right? And the third he does Mono. It'll be interesting to hear what EQ choices has he made for this stereo release. I think I'm going to order stereo too. :rolleyes:

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I'm thinking this is merely a reimagining of Classic SVP Clarity vinyl at a crazy price. The 4 Lp single sided 45 rpm boxes cost me £55 in 2010. These sound like a major slurping exercise.

FashionBoy likes this.
  25. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I'm quite happy with my Classics Mono, would this sound any better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.