New Pearl Jam Reissues, complete studio vinyl box coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigdoug920, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Why ask? You know you are going to buy it... if you haven't already.

2. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

what about Rearviewmirror ? i find this one awesome even if it's a sort of best of ...
    but trying to get it in vinyl is awful .... over 250 euros ..... jeeeez

3. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Picked up the UK version of ten yesterday. Sounds lot better than the redux version that came out a few years back. Not the most dynamic record I have but as a rock album well mixed and good separation in instruments.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Did you get the SST cut? I thought it didn’t sound any better than the cd...

MedozK likes this.
  5. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

I agree. I was very disappointed in the SST Ten. It's been the only SST cut reissue that I wasn't really happy with.

richbdd01 likes this.
  6. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Yes SST cut but definitely better than disappointing redux. I remember looking forward to it so much at the time and finding it a massive disappointment. I'm just happy that this new one is a good listening copy.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  7. mertoo

mertoo Forum Resident

Today I bought the new EU pressing Ten and it sounds great.I've never heard the redux set but there's absolutely nothing wrong with this one. Dynamic and detailed, did not sound digital to my ears, I don't understand where's the problem. "Ten" has never been an audiophile recording anyway. Same with "Yield", again have the EU and I think it's wonderful.I will continue to collect the new reissues, next are "Vs." and "No Code".

Old Rusty likes this.
  8. mertoo

mertoo Forum Resident

Only one complain, the inner sleeves they used on both albums left marks on the records.Luckily, they don't effect the sound on Ten and I hear some noises while playing Yield. It's totally beyond me that how come they don't use proper innersleeves that won't harm the vinyl. Add 1$ to the price and that's it.Unbelievable!

LeeGriffin likes this.
  9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just picked up Pearl Jam S/T from my delivery office. Im out at the moment but just slipped it out the package to remove that thick booklet stuffed in with the first disc. Really thinking this will be warped to at least some degree and just hoping it’s not to an unacceptable level....

I think the level of warping will vary according to how they’re stored. I think it will be more pronounced if they’ve had more weight packed against the jacket.

10. Joe Spivey

All four records of Binaural and Riot Act arrived warped as hell. They are perfectly flat now after short stints in the vinyl flat. Haven't listened to them yet but looking forward to doing so this weekend.

11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Pearl Jam self titled is too warped to keep so going back.

12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

My Binaural has a very minor warp but played through great. Nice album, already growing on me. I'm giving it a 4 hour session in the Vinyl Flat right now. I really had super minimal to no defects on all of these reissues (own all except Riot Act). Guess I just got lucky!

WonkyWilly likes this.
  13. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Sorry for the thread cap: Since I have no knowledge of what an "vinyl flat" is, can you elaborate? I have a Warped "Saucerful of Secrets" that plays perfectly well while the vinyl is seriously warped. Is there a way to restore the vinyl grooves to their original shape after being stretched out? I, and many others would like to buy that product (or apply that method).

14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

No, not if the record was badly warped. You cannot get them totally back to how they were...

15. Joe Spivey

If you search Vinyl Flat on the forum, you'll find what you're looking for. Wouldn't be purchasing new records without it. Take it from someone who has actually used it on many records, you won't here any groove damage.. just pefectly flat records and no hassel with returns and waiting. Best of all you can go buy records with confidence with no worry. I might go pick up Avocado tonight... curious to know how the remix sounds.

16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Vinyl Flat Home

Joe Spivey likes this.
  17. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Any comments on the Avocado remix?

Better than the original? Worse? The same?

Daniel Thomas and Joe Spivey like this.
  18. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Haven't heard the vinyl of it, but the digital version is worse. Lower DR than the original, with some odd mixing choices. Less guitars, more drums.

James Bennett likes this.
  19. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I categorically do not like the drum sound of the album now at all. Vedder's vocals sound good, though.

20. Darko

Darko Forum Resident

It should be better then, not worse... Previous mix was awful! Bass and drums were nowhere...

21. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Sorry I’ve got to say it...but MPO have made a right mess of these reissues. Most have been warped to some degree. I managed to get a dead flat Binaural but there has been absolutely no thought put into this. Did they not think that stuffing these in with booklets would warp them? No Code had many copies warped by the packaging aswell....just like a bunch of amateurs!

Erik B. and JasonA like this.
  22. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

World Wide Suicide sounds so different in the remix. Specifically, the snare drum sound like some weird triggered ZZ Top 6 Pack type switch. I prefer the heavier-sounding original.

Some of the "softer" songs like Parachutes, Come Back, and Inside Job sound great. But overall I would have preferred a decent vinyl pressing of the original mix.

James Bennett, JasonA and richbdd01 like this.
  23. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

I received Riot Act and Binaural yesterday from Amazon, both of which are flat. On the other hand, when I got the Avocado (last month, I think) and No Code (last year?)reissues were not so flat.

24. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

I prefer the remix of Avocado. Bass and drums sound way better, but the whole thing is too loud. A shame.

25. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

You’re absolutely right. Warping is kind of a minor inconvenience for me since I got the Vinyl Flat, not a deal breaker or a reason to return. I’ve saved enough on return shipping to pay for The device several times over. I’ve also salvaged OOP Classic Records titles that sell for hundreds now. It’s not the only player in the game but it’s the one that made me bite because it doesn’t cost $4,000 or so. I think anyone who buys a significant amount of vinyl, especially new, is very misguided not to have one.