The remix is so good I can’t listen to the original anymore. Any examples?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Me, too. They don't replace the originals, though IMO. The 40th Anniversary Remixes are intriguing and sonically superb.

Carlox and DK Pete like this.
  2. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Odds and Sods-The Who as released, remixed expanded and remastered, in 1998 or so.

The studio NAKED EYE is beyond breathtaking in it's sonic improvement by itself. Rest of the tracks are improved, also.

D.B. and Shaddam IV like this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

Which ones would you say are not overrated?

ARK, lordfalconer and Billy Infinity like this.
  4. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Are there remixes by others that you like?

ARK and lordfalconer like this.
  5. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

When Sting's "Dream Of The Blue Turtles" came out, they played "If You Love Someone, Set Them Free" on the radio constantly. The thing is, what they were playing, at least in my area, was the 12" remix, but I didn't know that at the time. It was longer, had more instrumental breaks and had a more driving beat to it. When I finally bought "Dream Of The Blue Turtles", I was disappointed to find that the version of the song on there was very bland by comparison. I then found out about the 12" remix and bought it right away. Now whenever I listen to the album, the version that's on there just isn't the same.

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I'm always interested in a remix because I have a high intolerance for the distortion I can hear on some vintage masters.

But my favorite go-to is the Hollies 30th Anniversary Collection. Especially because it's so hard to find these days.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    lahtbp and D.B. like this.
  7. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

The 5.1 remix on the super deluxe box is even better than the SACD mix.

8. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

The 2000 - 2005 Lennon remixes are superb, and are my go to mixes for listening to the albums, although I also own the Signature Box with the 2010 remasters of the original mixes.

9. Shaddam IV

That's a good one!

10. prunus-

prunus- Forum Resident

11. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

Except for Come and Taste the Band I agree 100%.

Peace,
    Tony

FVDnz likes this.
  12. Shaddam IV

I'm hoping this thread will make me aware of a remix I didn't know about from an artist I like so I can check it out. So far, nothing! Great idea though :)

bherbert likes this.
  13. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

Funny how many folks easily get their panties on a knot when discussing originals and reissues. Bottom line is that the option is there and you, as a consumer, have more choices. Most of the time I preferred originals, but I have been impressed with some reissues. The world doesn’t work in absolute and is not digital (One and Zero).

Peace,
    Tony

14. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

Same here. So far, I’ve discovered the Steven Wilson Jethro Tull and Chicago remixes :)

Shaddam IV and Tony-A like this.
  15. Shaddam IV

This thread has *reminded* me of a few however, which means I've got to go listen to the Left Banke and Donovan!

bherbert likes this.
  16. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

David Bowie- Lodger, remixed by Tony Visconti. Great work IMO.

vonwegen and ultron9 like this.
  17. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

18. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

C'mon Marianne by Grapefruit. The remix loses the intro and brings the horns up in the mix. One of my all time favourite singles got even better.

19. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Yardbirds with Jimmy Page at the Anderson Theater... 2017 remix/remaster was worth the 46 year wait!

20. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Come Taste the Band remix in my opinion sounds much better than the original mix, it's clearer, fuller, has better separation, it makes the original sound dull and lifeless. Garbage it most definitely is not. You do not like it, fine, I do..

duggan, D.B. and Shak Cohen like this.
  21. Shaddam IV

I'm checking some stuff out on Spotify due to this thread and have an (off topic... sorry! question):

Can a Who fan explain why there is a tambourine on the "My Generation 50th Anniversary" stereo remix of "Can't Explain", but not on the "My Generation Deluxe" stereo remix?

I love the stereo remix of this track, but hadn't heard the "50th Anniversary" edition until now. Apparently they've remixed it (again) for stereo.

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets

23. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

Alan Parsons - Tales Of Mystery and Imagination.

The 1987 remix is far superior to the original IMO: Orson Welles narration, added guitar solos to fill spaces and louder, dynamic drums.

deredordica and Shak Cohen like this.
  24. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The way the question is worded I can only answer no. There are some remixes that I appreciate, e.g. Chicago, E.S.P., Red Clay or Younger Than Yesterday, but even in those cases I tend toward the original mixes or like them equally.

25. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The Beatles' "Hey Bulldog" on the Yellow Submarine Songtrack.

Of course, that's more of an example of the original mix is so bad rather than the remix is so good.