EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

I'd Be So Happy is a great song. It's a grand bittersweet love song.

2. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next we have "Brown Sugar" by The Rolling Stones, #1 from May 29 - June 11, 1971.

SomeCallMeTim, Tim S, Bevok and 3 others like this.
  3. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here it is performed live on Top Of The Pops, March 30, 1971.

Bevok and Damiano54 like this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I thought I edited that out of my post.

I never read the book, but from all I had read, it was Danny that was the problem because he came in to it as an established solo artist and took himself very seriously.

I saw all three Dogs in concert in Tucson in the early 2000s. They were more than an hour late, and you could tell on stage that they weren't getting along. They put on a good show for the audience, but they were kind of bickering on stage as well. It's like they didn't want to be in the same space with each other.

I loved the song as an eight year old in 1971. Bought the 45 and wore it out. But, it got to the point back then that I got sick of hearing it on the radio. The one song that took its place on the radio that I vividly remember is "Never Can Say Goodbye" by The Jackson 5. Radio wore that one out, too, as it did Carole King...well, i'm about to jump ahead, so...

Agreed.

I have a love/hate relationship with this song. No need to explain why, but Mr. Jagger did eventually own up to it's real meaning and apologized for it...30 some years later.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  5. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

My wife tells me that Celebrate used to be used in an advertisement for a local hotel when she was a kid; something like 'Celebrate! Come to the Red Roof Inn!' So whenever she hears the song, she immediately starts in with those lyrics.

Freedom's just another word for Toyota... I guess Kristofferson was right: once you start using those songs in ads, it can be hard to ever hear them the same way again (my own personal example: It's a minty Scope morning will always replace 'It's a Beautiful Morning' when I hear the Rascals classic).

SuprChickn77 likes this.
  6. AppleBonker

I'll wait until we get to those songs to comment, but I do have to agree about Gypsies. 'Papa woulda shot him if he knew what he done'. Cher rules!

sunspot42 and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  7. AppleBonker

From what little I've read (I'm not super familiar with their back story), Danny and Chuck were single and heavy duty partiers, while Cory was married and not a drug user. But Danny seemed to be able to function in that milieu much better than Chuck, who seemed to be a very selfish addict. Anyone who has read his book or knows better, feel free to contribute!

8. John54

John54 Senior Member

Brown Sugar - I know everyone is going to chime in on how great it is, but it does little for me. Give me Mother's Little Helper or 19th Nervous Breakdown any day. Sixties Stones all the way!

9. AppleBonker

There's a prophet named Jeremiah, too, although that might be coincidental. PS - he wasn't a bullfrog.

10. John54

John54 Senior Member

That's not bad; it reminds me of my favourite TDN song My Impersonal Life.

My favourite TDN-related song remains Roses and Rainbows by Danny Hutton, which has my favourite drumming of all time!

11. AppleBonker

This is one of the craziest things I've seen in a while! I actually was attending a Catholic school at that time, and I can tell you there were no nuns that looks or dressed like the ones in that video. Nor did they teach kids to play electric guitars and drums! I went to the wrong school!

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  12. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

So...why did this go #1....?

Nothing redeeming about it at all eek.

13. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

The Stones have always professed to be so fond of America...why, oh why, did they inflict this upon us when racial tensions were already at a modern-era nadir? Geez.

14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Kinda like how we currently can't escape Lindsey Buckingham's 80s tune Holiday Road hawking Honda although at least it's Christmas theme is appropriate. Back in '68 I remember this tune by the Innocence was used to sell aspirin. In fact, it's in the song's title - The Day Turns Me On (The Bufferin Song).

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Shooting people seems to have been a favorite theme in Cher's songs up to 1974. "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down", "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves", and "Dark Lady". In fact, shooting people was a popular theme in music looong before gangsta rap ever appeared on the scene.

How is a drug user unselfish? o_O

Sister Janet Mead is (was?) from Australia, so maybe that's what they wore down there.

Actually, by 1971, racial relations were improving in the U.S., which is what makes one wonder what Mick was thinking.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  16. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

The lyrics to "Brown Sugar" are garbled that any racial implications flew over my head. I had heard that brown sugar was a slang term for heroin so I thought that was what the song was about.

17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Or this one from the 60s also that was used to sell Benson & Hedges cigarettes. Thanks to Cliffl for reminding me of it in another thread.

CliffL and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  18. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I'm sure that he still cashed the royalty checks.

Grant likes this.
  19. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I saw a concert of Three Dog Night at the New York State Fair in Syracuse on August 23, 1996. I had to smile at that time than the older audience enthusiastically clapping after each song and the younger audience could not understand their behavior. Setlist:

Three Dog Night Setlist at New York State Fair 1996

20. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Brown Sugar. Leave it to the Stones to not only get on the airwaves with lyrics like "Hear him whip the women just around midnight" but to take it all the way to the top! Questionable themes aside, I love the music here. The muddy production somehow feels appropriate for what's being sung and I love, love, love the sax. I got into a rather nasty argument with a buddy at the time because I preferred it to Honky Tonk Women. Yeah, musical preferences can stir up a lot of emotions as we know all too well on this forum.

SuprChickn77, Grant and Tim S like this.
  21. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Brown Sugar is classic Stones. Sloppy arrangement that hangs together by loose strands, suggestive lyrics, outlandish subject matter. I love it.

CliffL, Rojo, Tim S and 2 others like this.
  22. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

As a 14 year old when it came out, this is one of the few records I disliked even more than "Spirit in the Sky."

23. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I'm with you. "Brown Sugar" always struck me as a sort of paint-by-numbers Rolling Stones song, the Stones on autopilot.

24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

There's been very little over the years by The Rolling Stones that I ever even paid much attention to. I just plain don't like the group or their music. Never did.

This one gets played a lot on Classic Rock stations, and I've encountered it there while working for a Classic Rock station. But I still don't like it.

25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The sound was so muddy and the vocals so garbled I thought the opening line was

JoJo said he found a carton of beer
    Sold it in the market down in New Orleans.

Well, at least I got the second part right.

pablo fanques and SomeCallMeTim like this.