OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

I am guessing the Oppo is seeing the NAS as a local disk, and therefore you are not seeing or using the WD streaming software, which will give you the artist/album (etc) views?

You will need to connect it across your LAN, if you want it as local as possible by plugging both the Oppo and WD into the same hub/switch.

JediJoker likes this.
  2. oppoman

oppoman New Member

WD is connected from the ethernet port of Oppo hence Oppo is seeing WD as a network device and it can see the artist/album (etc) info. My problem is with playing the songs in a proper track listed way and adding the songs to my favorite list. Plus I cannot repeat, shuffle, play gapless etc.

Basically it just playing every folder alphabetically and thats it no additional options can be used

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

You don't precede the filenames of all your tracks with track numbers, e.g., "01 - TrackFilenameA.flac", "02 - TrackFilenameB.flac", ... ? This is how the Oppo (and generally software on a computer) will know the intended order of the tracks.

I don't recall whether the other mentioned features work over a network connection, except gapless, which does not.

Doug

JediJoker likes this.
  4. oppoman

oppoman New Member

Well Doug

That is an option but it is very difficult to give track numbers to all the tracks that i have. On the other hand if I play the same album from USB port (with usb harddrive or usb stick) Oppo sees the album track numbers as intended. So it is most probably a problem of Oppo seeing the metadata when reading from USB port but not seeing the same metadata from Ethernet port.

5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

How are you accessing the BDP-105D? Via the remote control or the iOS or Android app?

6. oppoman

oppoman New Member

Via the remote control using my TV as the screen

7. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Try the app instead. It provides access to attached storage drives by artist, song, album, composer, folder, genre combination, and playlist.

JediJoker likes this.
  8. oppoman

oppoman New Member

It works but now i have to use an ethernet switch between Oppo and WD I am not sure if the switch affects the sound quality negatively or not

9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The switch is just a switch, not a processor. It's just routing a digital data stream, not an analog waveform. There is no effect of any kind on your sound.

tmtomh, JediJoker and BuddhaBob like this.
  10. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

My opinion is that the standard thing that goes wrong with CD/DVD/BR transports is contamination in the pickup sled, so it's not sliding back and forth correctly. This is both a dirt problem and an alignment problem, and you really need a factory alignment disc, proper tools, and scopes to check this correctly. It's not as simple as a dirty lens.

The transports also just plain fail over time, because most of them are cheaply made and don't hold up. Replace the whole transport and I bet the problem will be solved. Electronically, it's fine -- it's the moving parts that generally fail.

Well, after 5 yrs or so of largely trouble free use, my Oppo 103 is now succumbing to the dreaded "No Disc" error message no matter what type of disc is loaded into it. I've copied and pasted this response by forum member Vidiot from a thread that is no longer open, but I believe this is the very issue that I am experiencing. If I very gently jostle the loaded tray when it is open, it will eventually recognize the disc after opening and closing a few times. I'm just wondering if I should try bothering with a lens cleaner or compressed air, or if this is an automatic send back to the manufacturer for repair type of issue? Maybe there's a better Oppo thread to post this in?

11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Fwiw oppo is usually pretty awesome about repairing stuff. U should contact them :)

JediJoker, chili555, tmtomh and 3 others like this.
  12. I would largely agree with that response about transports in general. There seems to be a finite number of times a transport can be used before it eventually breaks down without repair. Regular users won't hit that limit but heavy music listeners will at some point.

13. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Try a cleaning disc as it's the easiest method, but you may have to open the case and gently wipe the pickup with a cotton swab. While you've got the case open, blow out whatever other gunk has accumulated. It's also possible the laser is failing, but it's fairly easy to replace if needed. Good luck.

Scroller likes this.
  14. Scroller

Yeah, well, I have been using it like crazy for the past 2 yrs. or so. Funny, I've been listening to vinyl less and highly increasing my enjoyment of digital formats. Been using it, too, for watching DVDs and BDR way more than I used to. I dunno, for all the formats this thing is capable of handling I would think the opening and closing of the tray would be a little more resilient, if that's indeed the issue here.

tmtomh likes this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree with this 100%. If after cleaning Scroller's 103 still isn't reading discs then give Oppo a call. Oppo's repair charges are very fair and they have a quick turn around for players being serviced.

chili555, BuddhaBob, MikeJedi and 4 others like this.
  16. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Call them, they answer their phones...its why I buy their products.

chili555, tmtomh, Bill Mac and 3 others like this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

So true in that not some A/V component manufacturers are very difficult to reach by phone.

I bought a refurbished 105D awhile back and there was an audible hum from the player when powered up. I sent it back to Oppo and I received an email that they could not duplicate the hum. I called Oppo and was connected to their lead tech. I described the issue and asked if he could double check it as I didn't want to get the 105D back with the hum. He said sure no problem and asked me to hold so he could look at the 105D himself. I was on hold for less than 10 minutes and when he got back on the line he said that yes there was a hum. So they wanted to look at the 105D closer. The next day I called back and if I recall they found a defective transformer. I was asked if I wanted the repair done or they'd send me a different refurbished 105D. I opted for a "new" refurbished 105D and it's worked great since day one. Both refurbished 105Ds looked as if they were brand new without a single blemish.

That was my one and only time I've had to send an Oppo player back for service. I was very impressed with the way I was treated with no stories or excuses.

18. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Add me to the group of very happy customers. Plus one thousand.

19. Scroller

Well, thanks for all the replies. I just finished opening the cover, gently dabbing the lenses with a Q-tip, replaced the cover, popped in a DVD, and it's working fine now. Fingers crossed - hope it stays this way for another 5 yrs.! The one thing that was noticeable was there was indeed a hair in there by the disc rotator mechanism which may have been interfering with the lenses. Who knows, could one single strand of hair cause it to malfunction like that? Anyway, it's working fine now, thanks again for the comments.

Dr. Mudd, Reese, tmtomh and 3 others like this.
  20. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I had a problem with my MHL port not working after I bought the Roku stick a year after I bought the 105. They still covered it under warranty. Happy customer.

JediJoker, chili555 and Bill Mac like this.
  21. Scroller

Reporting back here as the issue with my BDP-103 turned out to be more than just needing a simple cleaning. I had a feeling it was too good to be true. :sigh: After only playing a few discs successfully, the "No Disc" error message reared its ugly head again! I immediately went down to the garage, dug out the original box with the foam packing and promptly sent it to Oppo customer service. They ended up replacing the optical unit. Have it back now and I'm enjoying all my discs once again.

I'll have to agree with everyone's accolades regarding their customer service. I always envisioned that sending a unit back to the manufacturer would be a giant PITA, but it really wasn't too bad. They sent it back very quickly and kept me updated via email with every move they were making - when they received it, what the problem was, when it was fixed, when they sent it back, instant tracking info, etc. Of course, the hardest part was not having the player for about a week, but I survived.

I'm still a little unsettled only because I have used so many other cheap-o CD players that have lasted way longer before encountering any mechanical difficulties, BUT I have never used a unit as complicated as this one with all the different formats that it is capable of playing. I do treat it gently, but it does get a ton of use. Funny, the CD player in my 2006 Toyota Highlander just finally officially went KA-PUT a few days ago. I must have played thousands of discs in that thing over the years. I've started plugging my phone into the cassette deck with one of those cassette adapters, as it's the only way I can listen to music in the car now! No, I'm not going to start recording my CDs onto cassettes just so I can listen in the car. :laugh:

Brother_Rael, JediJoker and tmtomh like this.
  22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm having an audio issue with my BDO-105 that is driving me nuts. I've had the player for years with no problems, but recently had my A/V receiver have some problems, and so I swapped it out for a backup that I wasn't using. I'm using the analog outs from the Oppo to multi-channel analog inputs on the receiver. When I go to speaker configuration in the setup menu for the Oppo and run test tones to each speaker (5.1 system), there are problems with the SR and SL channels. When I send a tone to the SL channel, I only get sound in the FL. When I send a tone to the SR channel, I get sound in BOTH the SR and FR channel. I've checked the cables so many times, they are fine. And when I went to the receiver and did speaker set up from there where it also can send a test tone to each channel, everything is correct. So the receiver is sending audio to all 5.1 channels discretely, but something in the OPPO is collapsing the SL channel to the FL speaker (front left if that hasn't been clear) and is matrixing the SR channel across both the SR and FR speakers.

I just did a factory reset to default and ran the speaker set up again in the Oppo - same problem. Any idea what could cause this?

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

In the Speaker Configuration menu is it set to LT/RT or stereo (page 70 of the manual)?

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP105/BDP-105_USER_MANUAL_English_v1.8.2.pdf

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The "downmix mode" setting? It's set to 5.1. If you set it to stereo or LT/RT, the visual doesn't even show the rear channels. I have it set to 5.1 and it shows in the image (on screen) all 5 speakers plus the sub and you can go around the setup sending a test tone to each. And when the SL (surrourd left) speaker is selected, I get audio from the FL channel. When the FL speaker is selected, I also get audio from the FL channel. That's what is so odd. Its not a simple case of the cables going to the wrong input. And then with the SR speaker selected, I get the test tone out of both the FR and SR speakers. I'm at a loss.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

OK. It was just a thought. When playing a multichannel disc does it sound normal? Or does it like the channels are not correct as with the test tones?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.