The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Looking forward to this:

Pianists Kris Davis & Craig Taborn release live duo album

KRIS DAVIS & CRAIG TABORN

DOCUMENT 12-CITY 2016 U.S. TOUR
    WITH HELP OF FAMED ENGINEER
    RON SAINT GERMAIN,
    ON MOMENTOUS LIVE ALBUM,

OCTOPUS
    Two pianos, Two of the World’s Highest-Level Improvisers, Deep in Dialogue
    Available January 28th on Davis’ Pyroclastic Records

EXCLUSIVE SOUNDCLOUD STREAM

[​IMG]

2. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Or Ray Metzker?

3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

The Jimmy Giuffre 4 – Quasar (Soul Note)
    — Jimmy Giuffre - soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone, clarinet, flute, bass flute; Pete Levin - electric piano, synthesizer, keyboards; Bob Nieske - electric bass; Randy Kaye - drums, percussion.

[​IMG]

4. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Woody Shaw - United
    Woody Shaw, trumpet & flugel horn, Mulgrew Miller, piano; Steve Turre, trombone;
    Stafford James, bass; Tony Reedus, drums; Gary Bartz, alto sax (trks 5 & 6 only)
    From disc 3 of The Complete CBS Studio Recordings Of Woody Shaw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

AxiomAcoustics, jay.dee and Marzz like this.
  6. Bobby Buckshot

Been streaming these Miles Davis beauties lately:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In Concert & Agharta

7. Bobby Buckshot

How would yall rate those Resonance Wes Montgomery releases? I've already got Echoes of Indiana Ave, so am look at In The Beginning, ORTF, Smokin' In Seattle & One Night in Indy

Wes Montgomery - In Paris: The Definitive ORTF Recording - Resonance Records

Wes Montgomery - One Night In Indy - Resonance Records

Wes Montgomery - In the Beginning - Resonance Records

Wes Montgomery - Smokin' in Seattle: Live at the Penthouse (1966) - Resonance Records

I'm only looking at either downloads or CDs of this btw. I'm not sure Resonance LPs are worth the extra $$$ but I'm flexible on that if there are any stellar reviews of them.

8. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Slide Hampton & his Orchestra – Drum Suite (Epic—Columbia Records / Mosaic Singles)

[​IMG]

Personnel:
    Slide Hampton - trombone, arranger; John Bello (tracks 2 & 7-10), Hobart Dotson, Freddie Hubbard (tracks: 5-7), Willie Thomas (tracks 1, 3, 4 & 8), Richard Williams - trumpet; Benny Jacobs-El - trombone; George Coleman - tenor saxophone; Yusef Lateef - flute, tenor saxophone (tracks 1, 3, 4 & 8); Jay Cameron - baritone saxophone; Tommy Flanagan - piano; Eddie Khan - bass; Vinnie Ruggiero (tracks 7, 9 & 10), Max Roach (tracks 1-8) - drums.

Includes two bonus tracks.

9. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

10. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Irreversible Entanglements - S/T

[​IMG]

Cactus Bob, Henry Please, DrJ and 2 others like this.
  11. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

12. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

13. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

14. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Booker Ervin - Texbook Tenor

[​IMG]

15. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    LP 1 (side 2 original recording quality is to die for, side 1 merely good, musically it was excellent throughout)

[​IMG]
    From 2003, and a typically strong showing. Rudy Van Gelder recorded, mixed and mastered this - so as expected it has his trademark sound all over it (boxy piano sound etc), never bothered me and kind of part of the charm but I know it rubs many the wrong way so thought I'd mention it.

BluTom, Marzz, Cactus Bob and 4 others like this.
  16. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I'm still mourning the loss of John Abercrombie. Such a great musician. I was listening to this one, rather obscure but excellent, earlier this week in tribute:

[​IMG]
    On tiny Rank Records, this is a very nicely recorded date, sounds like it may have been planned for a major-label release but then perhaps someone passed on it. Pity if so, because it is outstanding. Organist Palmer is very much in the Larry Young school, a very good thing from where I sit, and he meshes well with Abercrombie and Lewis (with whom he'd recorded previously , for Joe Harley's AudioQuest label) and the wild card, youngster Devin Garramone (a tasty tenor player with a big sound who I'd never heard of before). When this was released (2005) Abercrombie had come to favor a rather pure/unadorned sound on electric, eschewing the slight edge of overdrive/distortion with chorus he'd embraced for so long. Tonally, he never ever really seemed satisfied, changing his prevailing sound several times over the course of his career. But his phrasing and touch were always unmistakable and individual. I miss him on the scene.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  17. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

LEE KONITZ MEETS JIMMY GIUFFRE / VERVE / 1959 / JAPANESE MINI LP DSD CD UCCV-9328

PERSONNEL: LEE KONITZ, HAL MCKUSIK (
    ALTO SAXOPHONES); WARNE MARSH, TED BROWN (TENOR SAXOPHONES); JIMMY GIUFFRE (BARITONE SAXOPHONE); BILL EVANS (PIANO); BUDDY CLARK (BASS); RONNIE FREE (DRUMS)

TECHNICAL: RECORDED MAY 12 AND 13, 1959. COVER PHOTOS BY BILL ROTSLER AND CHUCK STEWART. LINER NOTES BY JIMMY GIUFFRE.

[​IMG]

Soulpope, DrJ, alankin1 and 6 others like this.
  18. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Prompted by DR J's post.

DrJ and Marzz like this.
  19. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Got four of them. Played these today. Had my eye on the Lou Donaldson for quite a while and took a sale for me to commit. The Dexter Gordon replaces my 1997 Capitol pressing and it sounds better too. Tomorrow Grant Green - Grantstand and Joe Henderson - Page One.

Lou Donaldson - Blues Walk
    Lou Donaldson, alto saxophone; Herman Foster, piano; Peck Morrison, bass; Dave Bailey, drums; Ray Barretto, conga.
    (Analog Productions 45)
    [​IMG]

Dexter Gordon - Go
    Dexter Gordon , tenor saxophone; Sonny Clark, piano; Butch Warren, bass; Billy Higgins, drums.
    (Analog Productions 45)
    [​IMG]

DrJ, vanhooserd, garrincha and 10 others like this.
  20. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Interesting how the Music Matters reissues highs are tipped up compared to the rather subdued sound of the Analog Productions. I've become curious about this since I previously purchased three other AP 45rpm titles (Hank Mobley - Workout, Lou Donaldson - Sunny Side Up and Dexter Gordon's Dexter Calling) and experienced the same mellow high end. Curious because these reissues were mastered by the same engineers, Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman.

21. AxiomAcoustics

Billie Holiday: All Or Nothing At All

Billie Holiday – vocals
    Harry "Sweets" Edison – trumpet
    Ben Webster – tenor saxophone
    Jimmy Rowles – piano
    Barney Kessel – guitar
    Red Mitchell – bass
    Joe Mondragon – bass
    Alvin Stoller – drums

Recorded at two sessions in August '56 and January '57 and sounding just loverly, wonderful to hear the cues that bring a living presence to something and someone so long gone. Or not gone.

[​IMG]

DrJ, vanhooserd, Dziga and 8 others like this.
  22. AxiomAcoustics

Nice. I decided to focus on SACD this time out, having so much new vinyl to clean and get to, such problems eh? The Grant Green and Henderson are so good, Pete LaRoca on Page One! The Dex and Henderson were also recently done by MM as 33's too.

Morbius likes this.
  23. AxiomAcoustics

Are you comparing 45 to 45? Because SH was not involved in the MM 33 campaign, which seems to get the most commentary regarding tipped-up top end.

24. AxiomAcoustics

Resonance LP's, despite their digital provenance, are indeed worth it, unless you're talking about some ridiculously priced RSD flipper purchase. However, the Resonance CD's all sound great, source dependent of course. Unless you're going for simple cost savings or instant gratification I'd at least spring for the CD's. No label right now is putting out better CD packaging (for most of their releases) and they put the majors like BN and impulse! to shame. Excellent pix, liners, etc. If you like the artefact, get the CD's at least. And definitely get the ORTF/Paris set, amazingly good, although I don;t think that is part of the sale yes? It has yet to be released on CD. The vinyl is top shelf. Smikin' In Seatle is great on both formats, I think the LP is sold out, an RSD release. One Night is also great, unfamiliar with "In The Beginning". So, LSS....get them all. Lots of good choices there beside the Wes too. You have the Larry Young and Evans stuff at least yes?

25. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Yes, I have a number of MM 45s and compared to the APs they have a more pronounced top end. Can't make a recording for recording comparison but definitely a brand for brand one .