War for the Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lord Summerisle, Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

As stickler for this sort of thing, I would have to disagree. To the extent that a non-existent animal can look 'real', I think they've achieved that, completely. The same goes for the kinematics - at no point did anything take me out of the moment of believing the apes were 'real' (which I cannot say for the previous films). I thought they nailed it, which makes me excited to see Cameron's magic in the next Avatar installments...

carrick doone and kevywevy like this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Thank you. You are so right. These are some of the most boring, derivative, lousy movies I’ve seen. I still haven’t finished the war for the planet of the apes. I can watch about 15 minutes before my eyes start rolling with how dead brain these movies are. Not a wit of originality. Just so cliché.

3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

As far as the next one being the original story: Not gonna happen, unless you're expecting that a band of semi-articulate, still mostly primitive in nature, apes are going to suddenly become evolved apes, wearing clothes and speaking clear, articulate English and hunting humans for sport/medical research subjects/target practice? BATTLE made the mistake of evolving the apes over such an incredibly short time, I don't think these new films would repeat that same old mistake...

In addition, and more importantly, listen to the director's commentary on WAR and you'll hear him say they're not the same timeline as the original films... These aren't in the same continuity as the originals.

Mazzy likes this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

PS: That little girl in the WAR film is *not* the same Nova that was in PLANET and BENEATH... Ridiculous to even imply it unless you're saying that a little mute girl who was named Nova based on a classic car emblem is going to grow up to be a mute jungle-living savage who lived nearly two thousand years later, was placed in a cage with Astonaut George Taylor, who coincidentally happened to name her Nova as well?

5. Grand_Ennui

Not the females! They looked like I don't know what, but their appearance didn't match the male apes very well at all...

6. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I finally saw this with the family tonight. The boys and my wife had seen it at the theater and liked it. This was the first time for my daughter and I seeing it. The two of us hated it. This film couldn't be much more boring and pointless. I still think the first re-boot was great. The second film except for having Keri Russell in it was a waste of time, and a big step down in interest. This one, ugh, I'd never want to have to sit through it again. I can't even fathom what my wife and boys even remotely like about it as a film, because they claim it's not because of the CGI. The CGI is the only thing this film has going for it.

7. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Costing a mere $3.66 for two tickets, my wife and I took a chance on this movie at the "dollar" theater. We didn't talk much about it, but we just walked out about half way through. Needless to say, neither of us went "ape" over this movie. That being said, many in this thread enjoyed it, and that's great. It is just for a different audience, one I don't belong to. I really thought Cesar was a bore.

8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I loved this film as well as the entire reboot. I especially enjoyed the second film.

9. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Bad, no story , boring.

10. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I quite enjoyed this one. A bit more thoughtful than I was expecting.

Joey The Lemur, RK2249 and Deesky like this.
  11. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Thought this was actually quite good

12. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Didn't do anything for me. The story was b-b-b-b-boring!!

I agree with many others (from above), the first one was a decent film. Last two - meh.

Too much CGI, not thought provoking, the whole thing seemed very over produced - as if it was made just to make money. Which alas, is what most big budget Hollywood movies are these days.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Most? make that ALL, it's a business after all.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

LOL. True. I guess I would split out movies with a strong director who has a vision and something to say, versus a franchise that is just being milked as a cash cow. And just because it's the former doesn't make it good, but I'm overwhelmingly negative about the later these days.

Deuce66 likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I prefer the old Planet Of The Apes films the whole series.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

The last one in that series was beyond awful.

17. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Battle For

alexpop likes this.
  18. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Finally saw this. It premiered in Korea on the day I left, and when I arrived in New Zealand its run had already closed, which was very frustrating. I could only wait until it was released on disc. (And even then, I won't buy blu-rays here that won't play when I return to Korea).

As a child, I was a huge fan of the original franchise and watched them whenever they were on. As an adult in the home video age, I realised only the first one was good in the sense that it had a story to tell, while the later ones were silly 'further adventures of...' type stories. (Later still I would modify that again, making Conquest an exception, but only after the original ending was restored and the whole thing made sense.)

Loved the reboot, much against my expectations, with Burton certainly helped to lower. The only thing I didn't like about it, and this is big, is the *constant* stream of references to the original--nearly every character was named after an actor or character in the original, plus Heston was on tv in the background, the Statue of Liberty got a cameo, etc. Even the drug was named after the running time of the original (not that I noticed until it was pointed out). A nod to the original would have been one thing, but flooding the movie with such references was *extremely* distracting. Nonetheless, I still found it the best movie since the original.

The second new movie was pretty good. I enjoyed it though it didn't have the emotional wallop the previous one did. The third one, same. Not particularly original, safe, but in the end, entertaining.

19. Grand_Ennui

I like the original ending intact, but I don't find it making any more sense than the theatrically released version of "CONQUEST"... In the original ending, we get Caesar's fiery speech and we get to see that Breck got his comeuppance... In the theatrically released version, we still get Caesar's fiery speech, but then they do a cop-out and add on the "We who were not born human, can afford to be humane" schtick... But the overall outcome of either version is the same, apes whoop the oppressors a**es, but Caesar does a 180 an suddenly softens his stance.

Thank you! Yes, I agree, I did *not* like being bashed over the head with all the references... I thought using so many of the character's/actor's names was definite overkill, and the kid in the lab spouting out Taylor's "Take you stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape" line was absolutely cringeworthy.

20. Grand_Ennui

Yes, "BATTLE" is definitely the weakest link in the original franchise... That said, the story itself is not a bad one, that of Caesar trying to build a new civilization with threats from within (Aldo and his followers) and without (Kolp and his crew)... I think "BATTLE" would have gained a lot from a better budget, better makeups, and some better acting... That's not saying all the acting was subpar, it wasn't but maybe they needed some better directing... Aldo comes off as too much of a buffoon and Virgil comes across as a smug little smarta**.

21. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I mostly enjoyed the two volumes ahead of this latest installment, so I went into this one expecting a decent movie. I should have lowered my expectations. This is one of the worse movies I've seen in a while. Essentially it's a pastiche of tropes as a post above states, and a really uneven, slow-paced movie. Too bad. So much potential with this story but this movie was such a slog to get through.

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

New Planet of the Apes movie is in the works.

New 'Planet of the Apes' Movie in the Works With 'Maze Runner' Filmmaker Wes Ball (Exclusive)

The move makes 'Apes' one of the first historically significant Fox titles to get the redevelopment treatment since Disney's acquisition of the storied studios.

The Apes are back. Fox has brought on Wes Ball, the filmmaker behind the popular Maze Runner film series, to develop and direct a new Planet of the Apes feature, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The move makes Apes one of the first historically significant Fox titles to get the redevelopment treatment since Disney’s acquisition of the storied studio.

23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Maybe Elsa or Mary Poppins will have starring roles.

24. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Oh lord.. I personally want the old series to get remastered to hdr 4k and audio fixed on discs. Maybe this is the way they get it done. John..... Maybe a new thread?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What!

Rebooting the 1968 original?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.