PInk Floyd-Japanesed Mini-LP 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norco74, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Great set of album reissues. Really well done.
    Norco74 what were the recent Led Zeppelin reissues from Japan? Were they the digi pack ones similar to those issued in the UK at the same time as the deluxe boxes?

2. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good… Thread Starter

I should have mentioned the CD jackets from the recent LZ from the individual deluxe boxset with vinyl, cd, book and companion disc/vinyl from North America or EU. I have the 2004 Japanese individual CD reissue and they are better overall with presentation and printing.

I also saw these deluxe boxsets while in Japan with OBI but cannot say if they were locally produced or repackaged for the Japanese market.

3. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Yes. I have it as well. I am really NOT a CD guy anymore with vinyl being my primary passion. Pink Floyd are a special band to me and this set is stunning. And hey, they sound good too!

ggg71 and Norco74 like this.
  4. Eric Weinraub

I won't be able to resist buying the box if it can be had for under $100. That is outrageous but these incredible mini lps demand the original box.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I will be in Japan for 10 days later this month. I have two from the first set and three on the way from the second set. If they get here before I leave next Friday I may just try to buy the rest in Japan since let’s face it I am going to end up with the whole set, I just wanted to space out the costs. I have a old friend in Japan but I kind of hate to ask them to hassle with this.
    It may be a lot of effort for a small cardboard box. I am kind of leaning toward making my own out of some nice exotic would like mentioned above.

6. Eric Weinraub

Its the xmas Hanukkah season so I am supposed to restraining these sort of purchases ;) Its a toss up between finishing the set or the 3LP Abbey Road half speed master of Live at Leeds...tough choices

7. timo11

timo11 Forum Resident

I might have a adress from my sister in law where to ship the box to in japan.

Can someone please translate the box voucher from the mini lps?

To which adress are the vouchers to be sent?
    And do you need to write them just the return adress or do I have to fill out anything else?

Thank you!

8. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Go on, finish the set Eric!

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes the proper mini sleeves using the older Marino remasters were excellent. The recent digipacks are slightly larger from Japan than those in Europe and have plastic sleeves for the cds. These Floyds are excellent. They use the 2011 mastering with great original artwork in the mini style.

Norco74 likes this.
  10. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

You guys are killing me. They are special to me too. I have been trying to collect all of the 2016 Remasters on vinyl. (7 still to go) Which is a killer since I already owned all the individual albums, albeit, the sound quality on the new remasters is stunning - so it *is* worth it... Plus I'm a bit of a completist, so it kills me not to have the full set. :)

But these mini LPs are just so appealing. Everything about them looks superb. But another $360 + shipping is brutal! Still, having a full set on CD is very tempting. Especially since I don't have any of the earlier box sets. And then it looks like at least another $50-60 to chase the box. Egads!!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Norco74 likes this.
  11. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

I know what you mean..... I don’t need them but find my self wanting them...... must resist must resist!

I suspect if they were not easy to buy I.e. you could just buy the box set in one go I would be tempted but then again all they would do is sit on a shelf as all my cd’s are ripped to a NAS and streamed via my Naim system.

Gary

12. Norco74

I got the 2016 vinyl releases but didn’t go for DSOT and ACOGDS for which I have the original in mint condition. These 2 probably got played once or twice over the last 10 Y so in my case really won’t do much than taking shelf space...

I try to avoid duplication in my music collection which is a hard tasks due all of the remastered versions released and sometimes on new media (SACD) and so on. With time, I found out that some remasters were not an improvment over their precious version, to my taste anyway.

You have to set your own acceptable limits but as a completist it is always a situation of getting everything or nothing right? I have set a quantity limit which correspond to my actual shelf space. I am on a buy and sell phase right now. For each new CD or vinyl in, another will be ripped and go out. Better acquisition management will end up in buying more valuable items that you really want not the ones you get impulsively.

c-eling and ggg71 like this.
  13. Eric Weinraub

Do to some fancy accounting last night, I will be getting the rest of them .....

14. Norco74

Creative accounting that is... Lucky that your budget allows you such devi/ation. :doh:

15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I came really close to grabbing a few of these, as the presentation looks fantastic. I'm in the minority when it comes to the 2011 mastering so I decided to pass. But for someone who enjoys it this is a perfect opportunity for a possible first time collector to grab an excellent set. :)

Norco74 likes this.
  16. Norco74

Do you prefer the Doug Sax remastering?

17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Not sure, I don't think I have any Sax mastering's. Going by the years of manufacture/release I think mine all pre-date Doug's.
    I stupidly passed on a 1994 Meddle a couple months ago at a thrift. Would of been a good comparison to my US 1987 Capitol JAX.

18. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Of course you're right. I'm really not into duplication either, and there's no shortage of stuff I don't have on any format that I'd like to pick up.

On my short list at the moment: I'm eyeballing the sale at Insound, which has a great deal on the Faces Box Set, Early Fleetwood Mac Box, and 7 Genesis albums. Beyond that I'm eyeballing a couple of albums that just went on sale on Amazon ($12), and the Donald Fagen Cheap Christmas box set. I'd also love to pick up the McCartney solo album reissues on colored vinyl.

So this Floyd duplication on CD is not needed, and certainly I could put the dough to good use elsewhere.

And yet still, the "limited" nature of this release calls out to me!

I'm such a sucker!

Norco74 and c-eling like this.
  19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

That 1994 disc was most likely a Doug Sax mastering. I have it and it sounds great.

However the 2011 is on the same level IMO.

Norco74 and c-eling like this.
  20. Norco74

Both have their merits for sure. I have the 90’s almost completed DS remastered set and will not part with it. I also like the 2011 remasters.

One of many exceptions to my no-duplication rule.
    :laughup:

rockclassics likes this.
  21. Norco74

Didn’t hear to much difference between the Mobile Fidelity Meddle and DS remaster at that time. Might worth the effort to revisit that this week.

22. Eric Weinraub

Like Robert Ludwig, Doug Sax does stunning work.

rockclassics likes this.
  23. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

'Animals' and 'AMLOR' arrived today. 'Meddle' is on the way.
    Probably order 'The Final Cut' next.

24. Eric Weinraub

Just pulled the trigger on the last 5... PATGOD, More, AHM, UG, and EL..... EMS is crazy fast. should be here middle of next week.

25. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Now that you purchased the Floyd set, you can go for that 'Live At Leeds' 3 LP next!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.