Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I think it's unlikely we'll see any more individual album immersion sets at this point. Nick may have mused about it in general terms before the big early years comprehensive set was settled upon.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I, too, believe we won't see another archival collection about their early stuff soon.
    Too good to be true I guess. More likely (I hope) is something for Animals and The Wall with some new stereo and surround mixes maybe.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Runicen likes this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Probably not this decade anymore. More likely would be new vinyl pressings of Piper's and Saucerful's dedicated mono mixes.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Just seeing these posts after a lengthy absence. The internal EMI studio booking form (aka "red form") for Sound Techniques sessions held on Aug 15-16 was created on Aug 18th (after the session) and contains handwritten notes from Norman Smith that state Reaction In G was one of the tracks recorded at the session.

Furthermore there is a billing document from November that shows EMI paid Sound Techniqhes for 12 hours recording time and one reel of tape (E68410 1/2" 4T) for sessions held on Aug 15-16.

Note that the document mentioned upthread stating the sessions were "abative" and "nothing was recorded" refers to the later, presumably cancelled, Sept 5-6 dates at Sound Techniques.

Then there is John Wood's distinctive handwriting on the Intremental-Beechwoods 4T. Addionally Beechwoods (and Reaction In G) *sound* like the PF tracks recorded by John Wood - very different compared to the De Lane Lea recordings, Jugband Blues for example.

I've rambled enough and had far too much wine but before I go back to lurk mode I will mention the tape number sequence backs this up. E68410 (8/15-16) and E68411 (9/4) are from Sound Techniques. The De Lane Lea sessions are E68412-E68418 (10/9-10/20). The STL reels were filed at EMI a few days prior to the DLL tapes, hence the sequence.

Oh, Reaction In G is NOT on the 1" 4T comp reel that was(?) possibly the source used for Beechwoods and Vegetable Man.

Presumably it was not included as was registered as a group composition rather than a Syd song. The comp reel contained Syd's unissued, non-Abbey Road PF material so that the songs could be worked on during Syd's first solo sessions.

All of my Syd material is temporarily in storage at the moment, if someone reminds me next year I will post the relevant documents.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  5. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

I doubt we'll see anything like an immersion for Piper. It's already had a an expanded edition, and from what I gather there's precious little of the session tapes surviving.

Saucerful, on the other hand hasn't had the deluxe treatment. While a box set might be a stretch, a 2 or 3 CD deluxe edition is possible.

Mono mix, stereo mix, singles, outtakes (Scream Thy Last Scream, Vegetable Man, the late 1967 rehearsals/aborted sessions that were absent from the box set - if the tapes exist).. there's a lot to choose from.

andrewskyDE, Runicen and sathvyre like this.
  6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

If the Floyd wants to engage in further archival releases, I have a short and simple wishlist for what they put out: I'd like them to duplicate what Jethro Tull is doing with their releases. Give us individual releases of the albums (with or without a remix - I'm not too concerned here) and pair those albums with relevant studio out-takes or singles from the sessions (stereo/mono versions where applicable) and as close as we can get to a full live show for each album. Toss that all in a book set and charge $30-$40 per and you've got yourself a winning campaign and I'd love to see the Floyd catalog presented in that way. Obviously, the formula won't be 100% possible to follow (Obscured by Clouds obviously didn't get its own tour, for instance), but offering that kind of substance and value for money would easily get me to splash out for the discography (for the third time on CD) without griping.

7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'd love that, but I simply can't imagine it happening at all.

andrewskyDE and Runicen like this.
  8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far to call the Floyd "fan unfriendly," but they certainly don't go out of their way to be "fan friendly" either...

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Another box set for The Wall would be good actually. There's a promo LP with 8 songs on it called Off The Wall, specially pressed for radio stations in 1979/80.
    Some of the songs had unique edits/mixes, like 'Young Lust' with the long intro plus the instrumental ending without the telephone sound effects.
    I read this track was also on an Italian pressing of the 'Another Brick In The Wall Part 2' single , either by mistake or the label wasn't changed for it (as the usual single contained 'One Of My Turns' on the b-side).
    Also, some people said 'Comfortably Numb' ran one minute longer and was edited prior the album release. A studio version of 'What Shall We Do Now?' never got a proper release (not counting the version in the film).
    Then the film soundtrack itself for CD, the shelved Spare Bricks project, the concert film with footage at Earls Court.
    A re-edited (uncut) version of the Wall album itself, surround mixes, etc... Such a The Wall box set would look massive!

I know this doesn't fit well here on the thread, as it should be somewhere else talking about ideas for a 'The Later Years' box set.

10. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I doubt that Adran Maben would give Floyd a permission to release Live at Pompeii as part of the Meddle box set. After all, it's his film and, he's been working on bluray release. Altough the 2K scan of the original film was made a long time ago, a standard definition footage from the horrible Director's Cut was used on The Early Years.

andrewskyDE and rontoon like this.
  11. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

In terms of extensive, long-form archival releases I think we've gotten all we're going to get for the 65-72 era, DSOTM, WWYH and The Wall. I can see yearly RSD one-offs like the Wall 45 box, the See Emily Play 45 and the Interstellar Overdrive 12" continuing though (I could see mono Piper and Saucerful LPs coming out this way). An Animals box? Maybe. But didn't someone upthread mention that DSOTM/WWYH/The Wall were the only Immersion sets the band was interested in doing?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I think we will get 5.1 mixes of The Wall and Animals one of these days. They know we all want them.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The Pink Floyd machine will always be looking for something archival to sell.

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hope next year will look good for us Floyd fans.

15. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm having a really hard time reading such direct and dire posts with that adorable kitten avatar you're sporting.

Can't shake the image of seeing this cute little critter, reaching down to pet it, and then having some basso profundo voice emerge from its tiny frame with, "The Pink Floyd machine will always be looking for something archival to sell." The voice is somewhere around Zardoz in my mind. :crazy:

JulesRules and anth67 like this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

For a Meddle and Obscured By Clouds box I actually think about a 2 or 3 disc format as the The Endless River deluxe edition set was.
    Here's some artwork I made a while ago. Probably posted already here or in the other ('Anticip/ation') thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Btw ignore the stickers' credits, I actually hope for very high audio files (96kHz/24bit).

17. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Thanks a lot for this, Chris (ramble away : )

Per some posts above, there was still an instrumental on the 4T comp reel left unreleased. If that's true ~ that is, if I read correctly ~ and it was not Reaction In G, then I wonder what it was/is.... Your theory of a Syd-only composer criterion would rule out a Latham-like improv, and awaken the intrigue of something more structured (if even just a riff, a la "Experiment")....

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  18. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

They kind of started out on this path with the 40th Anniversary 3-CD Book Box Set for 'PATGOD', except for no Live Recordings. I was hoping at the time that the rest of the albums would receive the same similar book box set, but it never happened and with the Early Years release doubt it will ever happen in the future.

Runicen likes this.
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

That's why I changed it to this one.

Since I LOVE that film I'll take that as a compliment. :hugs:

Runicen likes this.
  20. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm bored waiting for Monday Night Football to start so I will reiterate my feelings on Pink Floyd's future releases. First off, overall great work on the latest round on vinyl reissues. My love of early Floyd blossomed when I obtained the Piper and Saucerful lps. They are now firmly supplanted by A Nice Pair UK but you have to start somewhere.

All I want is an Animals box with a live show and 5.1. Throw in marbles or action figures or whatever. Charge me $150. I don't care. I need to take the final step with this album. Obtaining a vintage copy on vinyl was one step, finding a nice early UK pressing was another huge step. There is nowhere else to go. Oakland '77 is implanted in my brain like any other official release, but I need more. I need more Animals in my life.

21. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

When Mason first proposed a combo Piper-Saucerful Immersion idea, I worried More would get shafted but as it was we got some nice outtakes (Seabirds notwithstanding) ~ I mean, any is great, and Theme (Beat) & Hollywood deliver for me. (And the Amsterdam concert is your live disc.)

A Saucerful book edition ~ not that it'll happen ~ would make sense if they had the masters to stuff like Corporal Clegg, the unheard Richard's Rave Up, Saucerful in progress. And included further excavations from Fall '67 ~ Vegetable Man instrumental rehearsal take, studio Reaction In G, Jug Band with alternate horns track, perhaps a Paint Box alt take or false start? Mixdowns of pre-'68 Set the Controls & Scream tracks? (Only if there's a Syd lead vocal track for Scream.) And the audio for the Sound of Change instrumental.

That on a bonus disc, plus the album mono mix could still warrant such a release. One can daydream.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Heck, throw in some vintage mixes of Scream and Vegetable Man. I like the new mixes (even if not everyone does) but I think the earlier mixes are just as worthy of release.

ash1, Runicen, zobalob and 3 others like this.
  23. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Not to derail the conversation, but after a bit of delay, I finally picked up one of the individual books from the Early Years. Decided to go with 1969: Dramatis/ation. Really enjoying it. Currently listening to the second disc (The Man and the Journey). Very much enjoying it. I will have to grab the other ones as well.

And I also agree that an Animals Immersion box is loooong overdue

JulesRules, anth67 and andrewskyDE like this.
  24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm sure you mean that alternative version which was used for the Belgian TV performance '68. I was surprised that there was a total chord/key changing in that early version.

Big Pasi likes this.
  25. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

In my view you may have bought the best volume. The footage alone on that makes it a treasure.

On of the disappointments of the box was the blunder of using the wrong version of the recording (the final version).