Justice League (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I think the tone issue dates back to the Tim Burton Batman film. It was a gamble at the time, going dark when much of the audience's identity of Batman traced back to the candy-colored Adam West Batman series, and the gamble paid off. I believe that's where the thinking became ingrained. When they did the first 'Flash' TV show, it struck me as ludicrous that they would darken his red costume and go with deep shadows, but it seemed apparent that the Batman movie was the template -- even though the Flash of the comics was one of the more brightly-colored and least mysterious characters out there. The idea of different super-hero worlds employing their own distinct tones didn't seem to be on the radar.

Jim B. likes this.
  2. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I enjoyed most of the D.C. movies, and I enjoyed Justice League as well. Still not on Marvel's level & I think the main reason being is that the guys in charge don't really get the characters right, the way Marvel often does. It's weird how the animated Superman/Batman series & the Justice League series that followed get these characters essence way better than the current movies & it's not even close. Superman is one of the coolest & most relatable (if you can believe it) superheroes in the comics, but in these more recent film/media incarnations, he seems disconnected.

I love the Nolan Bat films, but he sort of took away the detective, the martial arts master, and the genius intellect usually associated with the character. But he seemed to really understand the true essence of his character & what made him great. Most important, he gave us some great ass stories involving Batman. However, Mask of the Phantasm/BatAnimated Series are better media versions of the hero imo.

I think the series is in need of more fans of the comics & better writing. Interesting stories too. The cast they have are pretty solid & under good direction, can do marvelous things I predict.

3. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

It's unfortunate that many people don't read the comics at all, cause if they did, they'd see Miller's Batman. Unfortunately, as with all superheroes, the general audience will assume the characters are the way they are supposed to be in whatever movie their in. It's why most people thought Batman was kind of silly back before Burton, they only knew the 60s Batman. It's why a lot of people thought/think Superman is lame :shrug:

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

He was - but the movie wasn't much of a hit. It made $113 million US which ain't bad but ain't great, either - especially given the movie's $125m budget!

5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yes, the cartoons nail it better.

The Superman/Batman relationship is much better in the comics and cartoons, they balance each other out. In these films Superman just seems depressed all the time and Batman even worse.

6. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I loved him in the Bourne film (even if the third act was weak) which I thought was better than the Matt Damon fourth Bourne film. The Hurt Locker has to be his best performance although not as big a hit as it could have been.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And in the latest news here in Hollywood... Warner Bros. has fired one of the presidents of the studio for "disappointing" box office on Justice League. Here's a summary:

Jon Berg, Warner Bros. co-president of production and Justice League producer, is exiting the executive suites on the Burbank, CA lot for another office, that of Lego Movie producer Roy Lee’s production partner. The news follows the lackluster performance of DC’s Justice League at the box office, which at $572M still hasn’t broke even yet (finance experts peg it in the high $600M-low $700M global range). Berg had creative direction over the DC properties along with DC Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns. Berg also served as EP on Warner Bros. biggest grossing title of the year, and the year’s second best, Wonder Woman ($821.8M).

Jon Berg Segues To Producing Role At Warner Bros. As Toby Emmerich Evolves DC Films Structure

It's a tough world when even a movie that makes $572 million dollars still has a long way to go before it breaks even...

David Campbell likes this.
  8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Toby Emmerich? Is that the actor?

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Why ask when you can just google his name?

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Well you know, this is a discussion forum

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You're hardly sparking a lively debate with a question like that.

noname74 likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I believe you're thinking of Noah Emmerich - he's Toby's brother.

Toby is best-known as screenwriter/producer. Hasn't acted as far as I can tell...

budwhite and Vidiot like this.
  13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Apparently he's acting like he's knows what he's doing. Just like his colleagues at WB.

budwhite and seeknom like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's very interesting that Wonder Woman made a lot more money than Justice League, yet cost half as much to make. And I think Wonder Woman was also a much more satisfying film.

15. Tiger-Eyes

Tiger-Eyes New Member

I have to rant about Ezra Miller. What a terrible actor. Girls seems to love him however. Just like Johnny Depp in the character of the queer pirate. Seems like the worse the character is portrayed. The better women like them ?

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Well if they would get things right in the first place........there wouldn't be any need for expensive re-shoots.
    Would the extra large star cast of JL contribute heavily to it's costs?
    Would Gal be receiving more pay for her fine JL work compared to WW/BvS ...........after WW was a hit?
    What would you estimate the main cast of JL received for their work?

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah surprised, pretty good I must admit. Best yet! Better than Wonder Woman. Only seen it in 2D, but I'll double dip and get the 3D media.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, this is a rough headline, but the headline is intended to freak people out and the story is a bit slanted. But the facts are essentially true...

DC Films is firing pretty much everyone responsible for disastrous Justice League movie

For the record, I didn't think the film was great, but I also didn't think it was terrible. I think it had some good moments, and there are far worse films out there (even this year).

It's fair to say that making movies is hard, and I think after Batman vs. Superman was a little disappointing and Wonder Woman was a hit, the WB execs put pressure on Snyder to immediately change Justice League (already in production) to be more like the latter than the former. And it's hard to change the whole style and the characters and the approach that late in the game.

I would bet the above-the-line people made at least 1/3 of the budget. If it's $10M for Affleck, $10M for Henry Cavill, I would bet Gal Gadot got something close to $5M (my opinion is that $10M would be fair and eqyal, but Hollywood is not always fair and equal), and the others would get in the neighborhood of $3M to $5M. But the problem is how much the dozen producers and half-dozen writers made. Snyder still had to be paid and they had to take on the additional costs of Joss Whedon and an extended post session. I've been told twice that fixing Henry Cavill's mustache alone was $5 million.

Actors usually sign contracts for as many as 4 or 5 films, with a built-in raise every so often and performance incentives to add bonuses if the film reaches certain "milestones" (#1 of the weekend, total gross over X dollars, award nominations, etc.). Gal Gadot -- who was an unknown when she started -- made only $300K for Wonder Woman, but I think it's clear she got a lot of additional bonuses and WB was very grateful. I would be shocked if she wasn't paid at least 10 times what she made in Wonder Woman for Justice League.

'Wonder Woman' star Gal Gadot responds to $300,000 salary outrage: 'I'm grateful'

It's all guesswork, but if you consider that the total budget was $300M, then it's not that hard to break it down by percentage for actors, writers, producers, 6 months of physical production, and 6 months of post. Note that there are 1400 names in the closing credits, and I bet a lot of them worked very, very hard on the film.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Simon A, Wounded Land, Deesky and 2 others like this.
  19. alexpop

Thought Flash and Wonder Woman were great in it. AquaBiker less so. Ben Affleck looked old. Bad Superman was a surprise.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  20. Tiger-Eyes

Tiger-Eyes New Member

Gal Gadot's role in WW was far better than in JL. Time had to be divided amongst characters n JL I guess. Would Gal still recieve multiple 300.000 for her acreentime in JL?

I feel an ultimate extended JL release is coming. Cause the theatrical version seemed cut too much.

21. alexpop

Spoilers below :Funny, the cinema usher said to me don't you think it too short.

Credit roll extras ..
    Flash Superman race was inspired
    Lex Luther why they bring this bozo back?
    Forget Tarantino's Star Trek, rather have his involvement in DC universe.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Gal Gadot ultimately got quite a bit more for Wonder Woman through bonuses. And as I said, I bet her initial deal would be to get four or five times that amount for a sequel, but they've had to up this because the film unexpectedly became (I think) the third-biggest hit Warner Bros. film of all time, after The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.

[​IMG]

(The numbers are higher for international -- this is just domestic box office.)

When a movie's success gets this massive, they basically throw out the contracts and do everything they can to make the stars and filmmakers happy, even though "technically" the studio could force everybody to work for the originally agreed-upon fee. Sometimes, they'll do something wacky like say, "OK, you did the first film for $300K, you do the second film for $600K, but we'll also throw in a $5 million bonus." So technically, the contract was honored.

alexpop likes this.
  23. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Just watched this movie and the word "pathetic" doesn't do it "justice". Some of the worst dialogue and acting I have seen in a long time and the script..... OMG a two y.o. could have written a better one. Marvel's movies are 100x better than this rubbish and I thought they couldn't get any lower than the horrendous "Batman Vs Superman" but they have. It will be interesting to see who and what can save the DC movie "universe" cause it's looking pretty dead to me already.

mr. steak likes this.
  24. alexpop

I'm more wanting the JL Blu Ray than Thor: Rangarok (funny one) BD.

David Campbell likes this.
  25. The reset button. Nothing more, nothing less.

seeknom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.