Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

2. Almost Simon

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I know at least some of these appear on the various reissues of Spare Parts and compilations of the Pye Years.

melstapler likes this.
  4. Almost Simon

To be honest not my favourite era. Prefer the "sound" from 1970 onwards with Ma Kelly. Interesting release though.

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like the early psychedelic stuff as well. It is the eighties albums that are not among my favorites.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Bit late, but 12 Gold Bars I+II was the first LP I got. For Christmas. Along with Springsteen's "Darkness' & Queen's 'Opera' LP's. Still listening to all three. I remember Quo's 'End Of The Road' gig was on tv around the same time. Used to look forward to the Xmas tv guide coming out to scour through it and see what live music would be on tv. I think it's a great double LP, but prefer Vol.1. Had 'Fresh Quota' for years, probably picked it up in Germany. Never too impressed with it. Liked the jam though. They have '1982' in the three quid bin on the market. Not heard it in years. Tend to stop after the 'Live' LP. Maybe I'll pick it up if it's still there and give it a spin.

Almost Simon likes this.
  7. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Yeah Neighbour Neighbour isn't very Quo at all (love it though) but then it was originally released when they were the Spectres. Hey Little Woman is indeed Parfitt, though it's from 1969! (hand in your Quo fan card on the way out please!). Time to Fly used to turn up on old reissues of Dog of Two Head but I'm convinced it's a Ma Kelly's outtake so 1970.

Anyway, I didn't realise 4 of the songs were listed as composer unknown. Very strange. So that's Time to Fly, Jose, Good Thinking and what's the other one? Surely not Hey Little Woman as that's a Goffin-King song. Time to Fly was for a while credited to Lancaster when it was a DOTH bonus track when it is in fact a cover of a song by Spirit...so more unusual goings-on with the song-writing credits there.

Almost Simon likes this.
  8. Almost Simon

Only Neighbour Neighbour and Do You Live In Fire have credits. The other four are listed as Composer Unknown.

What this an official release? Albeit not sanctioned by the band themselves. Very strange not to have writers credits listed.

JulesRules and Ma Kelly like this.
  9. Almost Simon

Okay, but don't say we didn't warn you. ;)

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Well I've heard it back in the 80's when I got into Quo, I remember my Dad borrowing a copy from his mate. I haven't picked up a copy in the intervening 30 years so I'm not expecting much!

11. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Apparently it was official, yes - PRT, which was basically a re-named Pye Records. Very strange!

12. Almost Simon

Think we need some Back to Back to keep the thread moving. Or is the live album first?

JulesRules likes this.
  13. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Probably the only time anyone has ever said that!

JulesRules and Almost Simon like this.
  14. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

Sorry I was somewhat negligent of the thread last time around. I will post Live at the NEC soon and Back to Back tomorrow. I also caught up with my avatar :)

Almost Simon likes this.
  15. JulesRules

1982: Live at the N.E.C.
    [​IMG]

1982: 2) Live at the N.E.C.

1. Caroline (Rossi/Young) 5:30
    2. Roll Over Lay Down (Rossi/Young/Parfitt/Lancaster/Coghlan) 5:38
    3. Backwater (Parfitt/Lancaster) 5:38
    4. Little Lady (Parfitt) 4:58
    5. Don't Drive My Car (Parfitt/Bown) 4:28
    6. Whatever You Want (Parfitt/Bown) 4:24
    7. Hold You Back (Rossi/Young/Parfitt) 4:47 [recorded on the previous night]
    8. Rockin' All Over The World (Fogerty) 3:38
    9. Over The Edge (Lancaster/Lamb) 4:38
    10. Don't Waste My Time (Rossi/Young) 4:22

[​IMG]

2017 Deluxe Edition Disc 1:

[British National Anthem played by Status Quo]
    1. Caroline (Rossi/Young) 5:30
    2. Roll Over Lay Down (Rossi/Young/Parfitt/Lancaster/Coghlan) 5:38
    3. Backwater (Parfitt/Lancaster) 5:38
    4. Little Lady (Parfitt) 4:58
    5. Don't Drive My Car (Parfitt/Bown) 4:28
    6. Whatever You Want (Parfitt/Bown) 4:24
    7. Hold You Back (Rossi/Young/Parfitt) 4:47
    8. Rockin' All Over The World (Fogerty) 3:38
    9. Over The Edge (Lancaster/Lamb) 4:38
    10. Don't Waste My Time (Rossi/Young) 4:22
    11. Dirty Water (Rossi/Young) 4:00 [also 2006 reissue] 3:50 [B-Side of “Caroline (live)”]

2017 Deluxe Edition Disc 2:

12. Forty-Five Hundred Times 21:34
    13. Big Fat Mama 6:46
    14. Roadhouse Blues 8:49
    [“You’ll Never Walk Alone” sung by the crowd]
    15. Rain 4:28
    16. Down Down (Rossi/Young) 6:07 [also 2006 reissue] [B-Side of “Caroline (live)” 12”]
    17. Bye Bye Johnny 6:53

First things first: if any of you have bought a defective CD, please read this:

Due to a production fault on ‘Status Quo – Live at the NEC’ 2-CD deluxe edition, on Roadhouse Blues (CD2, track 3) where the track has suffered a loss of sound between 00.42 and 02.04, this product has been withdrawn from the market while replacement discs get made up.

All customers wishing to receive a replacement disc will need to send an email to the below address, showing proof of purchase along with their postal address.

[email protected]

Universal apologise for any inconvenience caused and endeavour to send out replacements as soon as available.

Status Quo had long wanted to do another live album featuring the new songs written and recorded after 1976, but professional recordings from 1979 and 1981 have not shown up so far. When they finally did release a new live record, it was a single LP and they had just lost their powerhouse drummer. While the new guy was not a bad drummer, he had none of Spud’s energy and played far less interestingly, with little to no fills. The fact that he liked to tune his drums very low didn’t help matters either, because it robbed Quo of their punch and made them sound like ZZ Top.

This gig was one of three nights in a row in Birmingham for the Prince’s Trust, two of which were also filmed (but the full video has never shown up).

The release history of this live album could not be more confusing. If I understood it correctly, it was originally released as part of the “From the Makers of…” LP box set, which was promoted by the “Caroline (Live)” single (including two otherwise unavailable tracks from the concert), but later got its separate release. The CD was later remastered and the two tracks from the 12” single added as bonus tracks. In 2010, the “Live at the BBC” box set was released, including the so-called full gig. In fact, this was taken from a radio bootleg; this official release even edited out Francis’ announcements, the band playing the National Anthem and the audience singing “You’ll Never Walk Alone”.

I've heard that this is still the case with the new deluxe edition; I’ve certainly alerted the powers that be to all the problems that could/should be fixed.

Ma Kelly, John Fell and Almost Simon like this.
  16. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Live at the NEC - well it's just entirely pointless given that the 76 live album exists, really. And yeah Spud is again sorely missed. Mind you I havent heard it for many years, but that's not something I want to remedy.

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I am still waiting for the repress on the 2 cd version so I can buy a copy.

18. JulesRules

Well five of the tracks are from post '76 (seven if you count the deluxe edition)...

I know that people 'in the know' say it wasn't the best gig of the tour. The Glasgow recording from a few days earlier is supposed to be better both in sound quality and in performance.

First replacement discs have been sent out, and Amazon is selling it again. I will probably order mine soon.

19. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Haven't played it in a while. Was originally part of the FTMO box set from what I remember then released later as a separate album. Charted as an import in the UK originally. It's a great album, but obviously didn't capture the atmosphere of the night. I remember watching it live on the BBC and it looked and sounded amazing. What we really need is a DVD release of the whole gig.

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It's still out of stock at Amazon U.S.

21. Almost Simon

Live at the NEC

Its not bad. Its also not Live at Glasgow Apollo in 1976, but its decent.

But after listening to 1982 the whole change of drummer becomes an issue, i cant quite forget it now and rather than just listening i'm perhaps hearing the drums more than I should. Its just not quite the same. You can hear it.

But despite their studio album/song quality being on the slide at this point they were obviously still a great live band. Something that thankfully has remained the same through the years.

JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  22. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Oh I know, but released just 5 years after the Live! album just invites comparisons and they're not favourable. I'd also forgotten that it ended with Dirty Water - I quite like the song, but that's no way to end a live album!

Almost Simon likes this.
  23. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

So while we wait for Back to Back to rear it's ugly head, thought I'd give a little reveiw of Quo at the Hexagon in Reading UK on 30th Nov 17. Support was by Cats in Space, which is a crap name, but they were excellent. I was both excited and scared about seeing Quo without Rick. My decision to go see them was quickly vindicated. First the drone, then band come and young Richie Malone cranks out the opening to Caroline and from there on through to the end it was a Status Quo gig as you would expect it to be, loud, hot, sweaty and a whole band on top form. Rossi seems rejuvanated. Also vocals get shared out with Rhino, Andy and Richie all doing an excellent job. Special mention for Richie who sang Little Lady brilliantly. They whole band dynamic seems different to when Rick was there, in that they feel more like a band and not just the Rick and Francis show. Hopefully when they tour again in 2019 they will play a small venue like the Hexagon as it suits Quo much better than a big venue like the o2.
    One of the best Quo gigs I've ever been to since I first started in the late 70's.

24. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

To drift off topic a little, my favourite band at the moment!!!!

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Almost Simon

Smaller venues, very much agreed. Like seeing the Frantic Four shows a few years back at Hammersmith, which I know is much bigger than Reading but still. The 02 is just too big, Quo needs to be in that smaller venue now.

I thought my Quo live gigs were over after that last 02 show before Rick died. Maybe, maaaaaybe, I may go again. We shall see. I wont be down the front though.