Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2017-2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Cecily almost always has a good show when she's in skits. I hope she gets more chances to break out.

Dan C and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I really didn't understand that skit at all. Who was in Hell, the men or the women? And what were they trying to say? Very confusing to me; maybe chalk it up to my world not being anywhere relateable to that topic.

Zep Fan and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Basically, the idea is that men are finally realizing that what's come to light in the past several months regarding sexual harassment, has been reality for women since the beginning of time.

Which is exactly the point.

Deesky, Splungeworthy and rburly like this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I get that but I was lost as to what was funny about the video. Was it a parody of some popular girl bands video?

Paper Wizard and rburly like this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Also I think I'm over the joke of sexulaizing bigger girls. Every week we have a skit where its funny that Leslie or Addy are in a sexualized role. Addy in the Music video dancing around in a miniskirt and Leslie on the news about injuring her husband during sex. At this point that is Leslie's entire role on the show.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Anyone who engages in political discussion (opinions, commenting outside the content of the show etc.) will be thread banned. Second moderator warning, so no pardons.

stereoptic, Matthew Tate and DLant like this.
  7. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

So you're saying larger women can't be sexually attractive? There are those of us who disagree. I did not see "sexualizing bigger girls," I saw Aidy looking damn fine alongside three similarly attractive women.

BluesOvertookMe and dprokopy like this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

no, I'm saying the opposite. Like back in the Chris farley days they are making a joke out of weight. It made me a little sad back then as well. Aidy was showing way more skin than the other girls and the running joke of Leslie hitting on Colin during the news or having a relationship with Kyle Mooney is all about her physical appearance.

It seems to be every week

[​IMG]

9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I've watched SNL a long time, and I don't think I've ever seen a sketch bomb like that classroom sketch featuring Luke Null. You could almost see him thinking, "This is the end of my career" as he was doing it. I can't believe it wasn't pulled after the dress rehearsal.

Matthew Tate and Dennis0675 like this.
  10. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I kinda hope it was supposed to, but idk. I've been able to tell all season that he was the weakest of the newbies. I don't think he's gotten a single laugh all season.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Squealy

There seems to be a new white guy every year now who doesn't work out.

Matthew Tate and OldSoul like this.
  12. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Luke Null could be the next Jimmy Fallon if they use him properly. I saw him perform recently and he was hilarious and charming--I hope he's able to nab a spot performing a song on Update because with the right material he's hysterical. (He and Chris Redd have collaborated on a song that they're hoping will pop up as a SNL music video but so far no go. That was actually the weakest bit he did that night IMO, and admittedly the song of his that resonated the most would never make it to network television.)

I don't really think Aidy or Leslie are the butt of jokes because of their weight, but especially in Leslie's case there's an intended bit of shock value to her sexualized persona. I love Chris Farley, but he was insecure enough that he felt obliged to utilize his weight as a comedic asset, whereas I see Aidy and Leslie as being confident in their appearances. That said, there is a severe disconnect in doing "Welcome to Hell" in the same episode as a bit where the whole joke is that Leslie's character dominates and abuses her significant other.

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The first few minutes being so bad was obviously part of the joke, of a new guy going overboard to make an impression and failing miserably. Not that it made it any more fun to watch, but I did laugh towards the end and Keenan sold it as best he could, it just wasn't a strong sketch. But its not like the beginning was intended to generate big laughs and failing.

Matthew Tate and OldSoul like this.
  14. Squealy

I doubt it was supposed to generate three minutes of dead silence either.

Matthew Tate, Zep Fan and OldSoul like this.
  15. agentalbert

It takes some skill to get laughs with dud material. Kyle does it very well with his Veteran Stand Up Comic Bruce Chandling bit. I wonder how much of it is Pavlovian on the audience part, though. I think Kyle is great, but he also has some credit with the audience. During the Late To Class bit, most were probably thinking "who is this? I've never seen him before".

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

That's what I thought... This must be some guy in one of the Marvel Comics movies that I have never seen... :D

17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I laughed at that sketch almost the entire time

18. Squealy

I couldn’t hear you!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Kyle did Bruce Chandling in his very first episode and it got a pretty favorable reaction. But I think in fairness, with a character like Bruce Chandling, it's evident from the get-go that he's intentionally being unfunny, which makes it easier for the audience to get behind it. There was no reason to believe that this classroom sketch was a slow burn that would pay off in the second half.

And for those who argue that it was all designed to build up to a strong pay off...did it really achieve that? If that's the aim, the ending had better be incredible. This was moderately amusing but certainly not worth the effort it took to get there. Compare it to the ingenious Farewell Mr. Bunting, which goes two-and-a-half minutes with only one real laugh line before an amazing twist turns it on its head (no pun intended) or Jheri's Place, the most meta thing SNL has ever done.

OldSoul and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

21. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Billy Infinity likes this.
  22. agentalbert

No, it didn't deliver much of a payoff. I chuckled at some parts, but not much more. Maybe a better comparison than Bruce Chandling was the one (I don't know the name) within the last few years where they had Leslie intentionally flubbing lines, missing cues, looking into the wrong camera and then moved to a post-sketch press conference spoofing post-game press conferences. Seemed like that one moved beyond the intentionally bad part quicker, though, and ended up being pretty funny.

OldSoul and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. agentalbert

Yawn.

Not directed at you, just the daily outrage of this or that. The sketch was mediocre, but certainly nothing to get upset about. Though I had no idea until now Aer Lingus was a real airline. I thought they made that up.

24. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Mediocre maybe, but not a hate crime by any means. Imitation used to be the sincerest form of flattery.

agentalbert likes this.
  25. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

It wasn't funny imo. The obvious joke wasn't very funny. In light of recent high and low profile accusations of sexual assault. It wasn't well-thought out. For some reason, it was an Irish airline, probably due to the host being Irish.

The skit reminded me of the classic "Buh bye" skit with David Spade and Amy Poehler, I believe. But it wasn't. Just another unfunny skit.

Zep Fan and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.