New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Ok, so for clarity......get it, CLARITY.......do our credit cards get CHARGED NOW/immediately, or when the albums actually ship? It is a pre order after all.
    Thanks for any info, it's been ambiguous about this.
    Beave

2. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Charged at Shipping, though there will likely be a 'hold' period of a day or two right after you order.

Tullman likes this.
  3. The Beave

Thank You.
    So I'm going to be stupid and order both, so there you go, I'm STUPID! :winkgrin:
    Thanks again Guitarded!
    Beave

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    FashionBoy, Guitarded and ssmith3046 like this.
  4. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I'm With STUPID :laughup: :righton: :laughup:

5. The Beave

Now can someone please explain the MOFI situation between Acoustic sounds and Music Direct for me?
    AS has UHQR but I thought that was a MOFI trademarked product. And MD has MOFI cd's and LP 's.
    ?

Beave

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

AP bought the rights to UHQR. MFSL was bought by Jim Davis of Music Direct.

7. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I won't be happy until Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds join their forces to release some $1000 UD1SUHQR records.

mpayan, Fred68, Bigbudukks and 5 others like this.
  8. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

I don’t think this is the case. I think that Chad was really taking his time with this project to get it right. As much as he is a business person, he is a vinyl geek at heart, and a true fan of music made before 1980. I think he takes the heritage that the UHQE label has seriously and probably wanted to make sure that the release would be both significant and high-quality. Anyway, I’m hoping that’s the case!

giantleech and mick_sh like this.
  9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The Classic Clarity 45 rpm are very high quality apart from some noise and dishing issues reported. I know similar complaints have been made about QRP. This is a Clarity 33 rpm? - and twice the price for one disc than 4. Let's see how these turn out re. pressing quality but they are offering less for a premium price than MFSL one step product. The flat vinyl profile and 'clarity' name are brandings that came with the Classic Records purchase. Maybe they took the last 7 years to perfect the Clarity vinyl formula and learn how to press flat 200 gram SVP product?

10. The Beave

How odd is that?
    Beave

11. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Where are you getting that these will be a One Step process? I didn’t see that mentioned in the email advertisement. It just mentions UHQR, Clarity vinyl, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2017
  12. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Yeah, the series should be called SUHQR, as that's what the people are who will be buying them :tiphat:

J/K.... I may spring for these myself.

13. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Fremer announced that UHQR would be "one-step" back in Jan, 2013(yes, it's been almost 5 years) when AP first announced the return of UHQR. However, Fremer's latest article in 2017 make no mention of "one-step". He was either misinformed or AP had a change of plan.

2013 article: Analogue Productions to Resurrect Deluxe UHQR Record Production With Two Bill Evans Classics
    2017 article: UHQR Returns, This Time From Analogue Productions Starting With Jimi Hendrix Classics

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    rollo5 likes this.
  14. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Speaking from ignorance: I watched the QRP promo video about pressing UHQR vinyl and... well, I was expecting a more... aseptic? tidy? facility. With all due respect, that room looks like a mess. Are all pressing plants like that?

15. When I spoke with a rep from acoustic sounds last week, we were comparing their process with mofi’s. One thing that he said was these uhqrs get 500-700 presses per stamper, something that would only be done using a one step approach.

16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That's absolutely not true. AP used a maximum of 500 per stamper for their jazz reissues series. To my understanding, that's sort of standard for true audiophile releases. Those were not 1-Step pressings.

Same goes for the Music Matters reissues.

marcb and mick_sh like this.
  17. It's hard to know what goes on unless you are standing there watching them make them. I guess that's what you get for talking with a sales guy and not a true technician.

AnalogJ likes this.
  18. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

That's my understanding. Speaking again from ignorance and using Fremer's terminology, UD1S uses the 'fathers' as stampers. If UHQR is not one-step, they will discard the 'mothers' after 500-700 records pressed with that mother to be sure that no record is pressed with a worn out mother/stamper.

19. Matt R.

Matt R. Forum Resident

I think that is typical.

The one exception might be Third Man Pressing

marcfeld69 and mick_sh like this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Ok, I called AS. These will not be one step or 45rpm. Aside from the Clarity vinyl, this will be no different than any other well mastered AP 33rpm record. That means we are paying $65.00 extra for clear vinyl and box. This looks like a real big cash grab. What a disappointing rip off for all. I know, I don't have to buy.

21. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

With those details I can see this at $35-$50 max. But with no discounts and no free shipping... forget it. On the surface it looks like Chad is trying to compete with the MoFi one-steps but with those specs its not even close to comparable. I'm very disappointed. I'll vote with my wallet.

The Beave likes this.
  22. Matt R.

Matt R. Forum Resident

I think that I would feel the same way, but I do not own a copy of this album yet. Figured I could kill two birds with one stone and see if it lives up to the hype and pick up a mono copy at the same time. A little steep? For sure.

I would say that I never questioned the $100 price tag on the MOFI one-steps but that might have been why I was able to snag a copy of Abraxis.

I wonder if part of my reason for a pre-order is a small fear of missing out on something special.

Time will tell!

rollo5, Cervelo and The Beave like this.
  23. glide

glide Forum Resident

Disappointing. If MoFi can license the same titles they are going to mop the floor with these UHQR releases.

Tullman and FashionBoy like this.
  24. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Thanks for clearing that up. That is disappointing news. I guess we can always flip if we are disappointed, and like I said earlier, that will be my last time trusting APO and UHQR purchase!

Tullman likes this.
  25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Look, I'm still skeptical as to the price vs. value of the 1-Steps. Okay, I understand the extra cost of cutting extra lacquers, but I don't know exactly how much THAT adds to the cost. The fancy packaging?

The sonic results have largely been great, but I'm not sure that the same 1-Step process couldn't have been produced for less cost. I refer to the Neil Young Greatest Hits release. 2LPs plus a 7". All three discs produced 1-Step, and surely Classic Records (the original producer) using a relatively premium vinyl. Perhaps that it was a co-production with Neil Young that allowed it to be cost-effective. Warner/Reprise still puts it out for less than $50 for the set, but without any fancy packaging (the Classic Records release didn't either). The fancy box and all is surely nice, but how does that add to the cost?

Perhaps another factor was the sole release of Abraxas at 1000 copies. But now we're in the 7500 copy range for Bridge Over Troubled Water. Same price?? All the original AP jazz series double-45s were each released in 1000 copy editions, with the first 250 being number. They were $50. Music Matters, and now AP, creates these beautiful Stoughton Press jackets and puts them out at $55 for the 45 and $40 for the 33 (though they haven't put out any new ones for close to 2 years). AP really should publicly justify their retail for the UHQR releases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.