New Morrissey album, "Low in High-School"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DwarfMcDougal, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

I've seen people referencing these lyrics as pro-Brexit, if not frankly racist. Not the first time Morrissey has had these issues.

Scene Two: Everyone who comes must go!
    Scene Four: Blacker than ever before!
    Scene Six: This country is making me sick!"

2. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

The recent set lists on the US tour look really great. Very much looking forward to the UK run in 2018.

SweetTea and JeffMo like this.
  3. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

I tend to believe the meaning is more like how oldturkey posted about it, quoted above. :)

4. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Wasn't it the Guardian or the Independant (in the UK) that ended their review with 'a despicable human being.'. Hilarious. Go against the grain of these bedwetters and that's what you get. The media here, in the main, despise him because he simply doesn't play the game or go with their narrative. The lyrics on this new LP are superb. Perhaps 'Jackie' is a reference to the Union Jack.....or simply a humerous nod to his sister, Jackie Morrissey.

jamiesjamies and Dudley Morris like this.
  5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

And also not the first time people have attempted to craft a narrative based off their either a willful misunderstanding of the lyrics when taken as a whole, or worse, intentional cherry-picking of lines taken out of context.

Here are the full lyrics:

Jacky's only happy when she's up on the stage
    I make this claim, now let me explain
    Since she lost you
    Free in the truth of make-believe
    Since she lost you
    She is determined to prove
    How she can build up the pain
    Of every lost and lonely day
    She'll make you believe what you'll never believe
    Since she lost you
    Jacky's only Jacky when she's up on the stage
    Living bodies that actually move
    Since she lost you
    She is determined to prove
    How she can fill up the page
    Of every lost and lonely day
    Cue lights! I am singing to my lover at night
    Scene Two: Everyone who comes must go
    Scene Four: Blacker than ever before
    Scene Six: This country is making me sick
    Jacky cracks when she isn't on stage

See the effects of sexual neglect
    No script, no crew, no auto-cue
    No audience telling her what to do
    Exit, exit
    Everybody's heading for the exit, exit
    Everybody's running to the exit, exit
    Everybody's heading for the exit, exit, exit, exit
    Exit, exit, exit, exit, exit, exit, exit, exit, exit

JL6161, D.B. and portlandjulian like this.
  6. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

And, speaking of willful misunderstanding, I've seen some point to the reference of "sexual neglect" as a synonym for sexual abuse. In keeping with some of Morrissey's randier lyrics across the album, I'm inclined to view it as a synonym for Jackie, um, not being served.

e.s. likes this.
  7. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Did he cancel the release? :D

I jest.
    I quite like the single spent the day in bed. Video is cringworthy though.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

NO!!!!!!

ToneLa likes this.
  9. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

So Morrissey is no longer the Voice of the Bedwetters? He's all alpha-ed up now is he?

10. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

I believe it MIGHT have been the Independent that was so scathing.

“I Bury The Living” consists of him mocking bereaved parents with the sneering chant “It’s funny how the war goes on without our John”, before literally ending the track with background bellowings of fake laughter at their loss. What a ghastly man.

Pretty NME hackish stuff. Reminds me of the really crappy tripe we had to endure, by writers who hated the artists they reviewed.
    This is why I rely on ordinary people for reviews.

Runicen, ToneLa and sunspot like this.
  11. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I was recently made aware of some desperate hack from the days of the Melody Maker, frothing at the mouth over Morrisey in general and also a new T-shirt design. He was actually trying to put him in the same box as that vile, Nazi band, Skrewdriver. You really couldn't make it up. That Sunday Times quote about the Guardian being similar to the Sun newspaper circa 1972 is just Morrisey genius.

portlandjulian likes this.
  12. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Again, pretty odd and clearly biased interpretation of the song, which is obviously anti-war and anti-right wing. The song is sung from the perspective of a soldier who gleefully kills for a living, with no concern about why, and then ends after he's dead and notes that the war goes on without him, i.e., war is equally unconcerned with him.

13. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

One of the finest songs on the LP as well.

14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

It's actually one of my least favorites, although I do like the bit at the end quite a bit. Love or don't, though, it's frustrating to see people assign meanings to it based on their own agendas against the songwriter.

ToneLa, oldturkey and sunspot like this.
  15. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Your going to have a great time, I agree with you, it's much better when you are surrounded by Morrissey fans. I had somebody's husband sitting next to me who was not a fan, he was on the cell phone all night. The guy behind me was a Latino who was totally into the concert, loved everything about Morrissey. We were both dancing in the aisles all night here at the NYC show. His Latino fans are very dedicated followers, they love him.

ToneLa, oldturkey and SweetTea like this.
  16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

17. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

So this is their idea of a good dresser?
    "Matt Smith has been named GQ's best dressed man 2018"

[​IMG]

A multicoloured wooly jumper? Yawn.
    What in the hell do they know? And isn't GQ magazine edited by the true-blue Corbyn-smearing, David Bowie muck-raking, Daily Mail hack chum of David Cameron Dylan Jones?

I'd go with the comment by the reader Ithoven :
    "Firstly, I don't think what these fashionistas decide looks good concurs with what ordinary folk think. Secondly, everyone knows what this current onslaught against Morrissey by the media class is all about. He's committed the modern crime of wrongthink. He doesn't just go along with what's acceptable to say. I doubt he cares though... I mean he's Morrissey, why does he need to care what the shallow boys and girls of GQ think."

First people slag off the cover, then Spent The Day In Bed, then the album, and when it turns out that people actually like the music they attack his dress sense. Next they'll be calling him a racist.
    Er...

Runicen, e.s. and SweetTea like this.
  18. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Odd, my brother in law died earlier this year and he was a decorated ex-army man. Yet this song didn't offend me!! Huh, maybe if I was paid to be professionally offended I'd see it... nah, this kind of reaching by journalists who lie is the bane of Morrissey's existence.

Child hysteria in the 80s, racism in the 90s, politics in general from then on.

Man at C&A, e.s. and SweetTea like this.
  19. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Clothes and fashion have always been an extremely important part of pop music, The Beatles, Elvis, Little Richard, Dusty Springfield, Bolan, Bowie, Adam Ant, Boy George, Mods, Glam Rock, Punk Rock and indeed even Morrissey himself have all used clothes to help sell themselves and to stand out from the rest of the pack.
    However much Morrissey might try to deny it, his image was just as strong as anyone else's in the 80's, The fake hearing aid, the fake glasses, the necklaces and open blouses, the gladiola sprouting from the back pockets of his baggy arsed jeans.
    Morrissey was a (unlikely) master of using clothes and props to give himself a strong image.

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

That's true, but he's no spring chicken. Most of us tone down a bit when we're a bit older eg Bowie and Elton John. Exceptions on your list would be Adam Ant and Boy George who remain creative, but even George's look is a bit safe compared to his Culture Club days when adoring girls would copy his pioneering look. Elvis just wore the same (ever expanding) white jumpsuit style, Bolan died too young, but was looking very sharp at the end in that Celebrate Summer leopard skin suit. Pete Townshend used to be a real snappy dresser in the 60s, but you might walk right past him in Lidl's these days.
    BTW I like Adam Ant's NHS specs Napoleon-with-bandana look that he adopted recently.
    I agree that Morrissey strays dangerously close to Perry Como/Nicholas Parsons territory at times, but I think there are worse dressers in the public eye.

Man at C&A and e.s. like this.
  21. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Show's canceled. Not a joke.

SweetTea and ToneLa like this.
  22. SweetTea

SweetTea Forum Resident

As was Philadelphia. Someone isn't feeling well. Will catch him another time I hope.

BadJack likes this.
  23. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

How many cancellations is that on this tour so far?

24. SweetTea

SweetTea Forum Resident

Three for this tour. There was 1 CA gig cancelled due to on stage heater failure. Philadelphia & Boston due to illness in the touring party. He was supposed to be on Colbert this past Tuesday as musical guest but cancelled or rescheduled that as well.

25. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I suppose three is light for a Morrissey tour.

Galactus2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.