Robert Plant: Fans Should Move On

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FredV, Dec 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Jack Furth

Jack Furth Forum Resident

Horribly misleading article title. He's referring to music publications, not fans. Here's a quote:

"All these magazines and internet platforms should be supporting new music and help new musicians to find an audience, instead of dwelling on the old crap all the time. It’s like there is nothing new and exciting out there any more, when in fact there is. So stop living in the past. Open your ears and your eyes. It’s not that difficult, is it?"

3. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Fixed that for you ;)

4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

He's right, of course.

6. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Old crap sells magazines to old farts like me. It may not be good for new music, but it is the bottom line.

Hopefully, new music has (or will get) a new promotion platform.

btw, I do listen to new artists but sometimes it's hard to relate to issues that affect folks 30 years younger than me.

My preference is for "mature" artists singing about topics I can relate to. I would like to think that young people have the same attitude.

Golden Richards, Sean, Rojo and 5 others like this.
  7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Kudos to Robert Plant for being one of the few "Classik Rawk[tm]" artists who are still interested in making new music.

8. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I'm still struggling to find bands that sing about weight gain, dementia and incontinence though...

9. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

TBH I stopped picking up the Mojos and Uncuts for that reason. (Never made it to Classic Rock.) IMO, they end up rehashing the same stories from various angles, depending on which legacy act is touring or has a new reissue to push. If you just end up reading those, it becomes all to easy to miss newer music.

(And I'm aware they cover new music. But seemingly always with Dylan or McCartney on the cover.)

ajsmith and AlienRendel like this.
  10. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Speaking solely as a fan and obviously not a magazine, I don't wanna. I like that old crap.
    But I get his point. And yes, the article's headline is pure clickbait.

And for the record, I am not dreaming, hoping, or even want a LZ reunion.

11. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Weight Gain - BTO
    Dementia - Pink Floyd
    Incontinence - A lot of bands make me feel incontinent . . .

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I still like the old stuff better. :)

13. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Robert's vibe can be summed up in a song he released a little while back called Tin Pan Valley

"My peers may flirt with cabaret, some fake the rebel yell. Me, I'm moving up to higher ground, I must escape this hell"

ytserush, Sean, eric777 and 10 others like this.
  14. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

"I'm turning down the talk shows, the humour and the couch
    I'm moving up to higher ground, I've found a new way out"

;)

15. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Sounds like he's speaking directly to the members of this forum...

goodiesguy, Dr. Mudd, Sean and 13 others like this.
  16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

17. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Hard to take that song seriously when he plays Zep songs every single night. He said he was moving up to higher ground and yet 12 years later his setlist and musical style hasn't changed much.

Llyrren, goodiesguy, Sean and 3 others like this.
  18. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

or "I used to shoot drugs now I shoot insulin for type 2 Diabetes"

goodiesguy, Sean, Shak Cohen and 2 others like this.
  19. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I have said it before and I guess I will say it again, hahah. If Plant wants us to move on than so should he. Stop the Zeppelin tunes in your live shows. Just play your solo stuff.

20. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

At least he's down to less than half show being Zep material, 7 of 18 songs on most recent setlist on setlist fm, but it's enough to make his proud declarations of not wanting to be a traveling jukebox or stuck in the past feel weak. He's perfectly happy singing Zep, just not with Page and Jones and maybe he prefers smaller audiences, who knows. But his truculence on this point never made a lot of sense to me, and feels churlish besides.

Clanceman, KeninDC and Dave Hoos like this.
  21. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Translated:

My 70 year old throat can not withstand going out there and singing like it's 1975 night after night, so please leave me alone about touring with Zeppelin again, and let's pretend there's all this really great new music that matters.

Llyrren, Sean, quicksrt and 16 others like this.
  22. HotelYorba101

The point though isn't that he doesn't do ANYTHING from the past though. I have seen him twice in the past few years and he does Zep songs but changes it up

He is not saying he doesn't like Zep songs or isn't afraid to do any of them live. There is a difference between having the freedom to do anything you want to do in the confines of a solo band that releases new material, compared to being chained to the confines of a huge arena tour with one of the most popular bands ever in history being suffocated by expectations, nonstop media, the whole spectacle, etc.

I feel like the people going, "oh Plant is contradicting himself because he plays Zeppelin songs live still" need to understand the big picture, and the freedom that is offered by doing what he does, when he wants to do it, when he wants to do it.

As a musician, I totally understand and respect what Plant is doing and why he is doing it the way that it is being done. I don't see any contradictions here

keyXVII, Larapinta, joeriz and 34 others like this.
  23. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

so he won't be cashing any more of his Led Zeppelin royalty checks?

Jimmy B. likes this.
  24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

How about poor vision, declining physical capacity and memory, and the inability to sleep through the night?

Sean, wayne66 and Jackson like this.
  25. HotelYorba101

I feel like everyone who says this is missing the point by in large

"Moving on" doesn't mean ignoring great songs from one's past. "Moving on" means simply moving on from the expectations of Robert Plant rejoining Zeppelin and projecting our wants onto him. He comes across as a guy who simply wants to play whatever songs he wants to play, whenever we wants, and however he wants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.