New Mobile Fidelity titles in latest Music Direct catalog*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lovealego, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

In a Train fans eyes, yes. :shrug:

Mr. Explorer and mikedifr0923 like this.
  2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I asked the above question a little over a year ago, and in the 2018 Music Direct catalog, in the Chicago section "Chicago 17" is listed as a SACD release.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Outside of folks here, maybe it does. Let's face it. Many here hated Train from Day One. Go back and read the Train Super Bowl thread. Fun.

4. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yep, Train was (is?) a very popular MOR band, and Drops of Jupiter was their biggest selling album, I think. They were on Sesame Street. I won't be picking this up, but this forum is definitely not an indicator of their popularity.

Mr. Explorer and mikedifr0923 like this.
  5. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I wish Mofi continued the Silver label releases :mad:

6. Myke

Other than getting a clean, quiet reissue, why ? Street Survivors offers nothing new, or different, and made me wish I'd never bought it. Likely will sell it right back to Grimey's, where I got it 6 years ago.

Kyhl likes this.
  7. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Yeah, not all of them were bad Echo and the Bunnymen and Cyndi Laupers debut sounded better than my old original

findog3103 and Myke like this.
  8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

As does Best of The Raspberries

Deano6, Jrr and Mazzy like this.
  9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm glad they are doing Dylan and Miles Davis and continuing to do so. I'd like to see them branch out too. . . but my choices wouldn't be popular. I'd like to see Monk, Ellington, Mingus, and even European artists such as Lars Gullin, Barney Wilen, or . . . . I'd buy every one.

10. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I'd love to see MoFi do Ellington's Such Sweet Thunder, which is a bit botched on the current Columbia.

Mr. Explorer and Lonson like this.
  11. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

I thought the silver label may not be remastered and/or they are not working with original masters. With that it seems like it could be hit or miss.

12. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

What I find amusing about every thread in which people suggest that audiophile companies should expand beyond the tired warhorses, is that every poster suggests a different group of titles they should be releasing instead. The reason they keep reissuing warhorses is because they sell better--with newer releases, we all have our individual favorites we want to see released, but we never agree with enough others on what they should be to make them profitable for reissue companies.

13. Chicago 17 ?!? :tiphat:

14. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Exactly. Bang on.

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Those sound like good reasons to me! Some titles are hard to find clean. The couple I have are fantastic.

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

KC & Sunshine Band, Cyndi Lauper and Raspberries sound fantastic, better than the originals. Bring em on!

Blue Cactus likes this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

All mfsl is hit and miss. I don't believe the Silver uses the master but they are usually still using good sources. I have three Ronstadt MFSL using masters and they are among the worst recordings I have heard. They are a safe bet, but either is hit or miss.

M.R.Collins and chacha like this.
  18. M.R.Collins

Which Ronstadt were you not impressed with? I was considering getting these. Do you have the rest? How do they sound?
    Thanks
    Mike

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, hang on because I am going to list them here if you decide to buy anyway...I wouldn't though.

Prisoner in Disguise is really bad (someone else mentioned a few weeks ago that they agreed with my assesment)...very veiled like a blanket is over my speakers. The domestic (though usually pretty awful) pressings are far better, and they aren't that great unless you get the right pressing. The other is Hasten/Wind and someone else here said Simple Dreams is bad as well. They should have nevered bothered putting these out and risking their reputation. It isn't a subjective issue....they are out and out bad. But that is the rare exception in my experience and I own an awful lot of them. I still wouldn't hesitate to buy them unless I get burned a few more times.

M.R.Collins likes this.
  20. M.R.Collins

Thanks! I appreciate you letting me know.
    Mike

21. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

I wonder who did the mastering on these as I have been really thrilled with things I've gotten from MFSL over the lsst few years.....Well, I hope they get Heart Like A Wheel just right.....its a fine album and a favorrite.

Deano6 likes this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

The mastering is bad enough that I am blaming whatever was given to them by her label, not MFSL. Imo they should have dropped the project or insisted on a flat master and low generation. This thing sounds many generations removed from the master, quite unusual for mfsl. Very muddy and muffled. Literally like she is singing in a closet. I agree its a very fine album.

Joti Cover likes this.
  23. Myke

ultron9, agentalbert and Joti Cover like this.
  24. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Any news about Supertramp - Breakfast in America ?

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I heard Rick won't release the master to MFSL. Not sure why it was announced. He is sick and rumor has it he doesn't want any of his stuff rereleased from back in the day, even when he passes on at some point. I was lucky and got a copy two years ago from ebay and it's awesome but you rarely see them and it was around $100 so not cheap.

Joti Cover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.