Favorite Psychedelic LP from the 1st era (1966-1975)...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by samthesham, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Great album, as I discovered Hawkwind in the past year when seeking out advice on old Space-Rock, so not sure if it fits in this category of Psychedelic-Rock, but if the thread title was Space-Rock, then I would say awesome selection.

marmalade166 likes this.
  2. mds

mds Forum Resident

A jug alone does not make a jug band.

Lightworker likes this.
  3. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Dutch pride! Group 1850 were Holland's premier psych outfit, and Paradise Now arguably their best album (despite being recorded in one day).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    bagstiv, SquaRoots and beccabear67 like this.
  4. TheSeldomSeenKid

The Doors might be my favorite album from 1967, but I see Pipers(Pink Floyd) as blowing open the doors(no pun intended) for Psychedelic-Rock era of Music, and also albums by Jefferson Airplane & the 13th Floor Elevators. The Doors ST & Strange Days do fit partially into the Psychedelic-Rock sound though, so maybe you are correct, if you were around at the time when all of this great music was released.

steviebee and samthesham like this.
  5. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

We've often heard this criticism of BB but I've never felt it was deserved. I've listened to the album many times since the 60's and always dug it. What other people refer to as its flaws I've always heard as its sound. Of all the Janis albums it's the only one I still listen to.

6. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

7. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident Thread Starter

You are absolutely correct in your post.Post Syd was more Space-Rock and less truly mind expanding.A lot of people get the element of what is Psychedelic confused with other forms of experimental rock.Good post.Peace

8. TheSeldomSeenKid

I am not sure about the entire album, but as I mentioned in my initial post in this thread, if had to select 1 Song, it would be 'Section 43' as I heard it 2 years ago for the first time and it blew my mind(without being on any Psychedelic Drugs).

9. BPMC

BPMC Forum Resident

If for no other reason than I've been listening to a lot of their earlier stuff again recently...

[​IMG]

It also gets my vote for one of the ugliest album covers of all time, too!

trebori and nsmith1002 like this.
  10. samthesham

In my top 3.I carried this under my arm to almost every acid party I attended from 67-70.Good post.Thanks.

TheSeldomSeenKid and PsychGuy like this.
  11. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

I find the entire "Electric Music" album a pleasure, unlike the rest of the band's uneven output. But then nostalgia certainly plays a role as I bought the album the week it came out!

The Airplane was a far superior band, but lightning struck here for Country Joe and Co.

12. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

How about semi-psychedelic soft rock?

[​IMG]

13. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

We can agree to disagree then, nothing wrong with that.

14. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

I had all their albums and was lucky enough to catch them live once.

seed_drill likes this.
  15. samthesham

The Rag Baby label single from mid-66 of Section 43 b/w Bass Strings is even more Psychedelic. Peace.

Counsel15 and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

They did with Full Tilt Boogie, but then she ODed on smack.

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The Paupers are definitely an underrated band. Might say the opposite about Ultimate Spinach, though.

Coaltrain and Peter Needham like this.
  18. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

So can someone elaborate on what the differences are between psychedelic and space-rock?

In my experience up until now a lot of these ultrafine distinctions between genres have been the province of 20-somethings, but some of you old timers here seem to be bringing that up. So what gives?

Raunchnroll and Svetonio like this.
  19. TheSeldomSeenKid

Can you provide a YouTube Link, if it is on there? Thanks

20. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

A few cool tunes on The Trip soundtrack by The Electric Flag. This one, Peter's Trip, is groovy man.

Davmoco and SkeletonPete like this.
  21. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I too still love the album, but I recall going to a seminar about the psychedelic era when I was in college and the presenter said he could rehearse a band of non players for an afternoon and have them sounding better than Big Brother. It's clear from Monterey that tuning was still beyond at least one of the guitarist's abilities.

jamesmaya likes this.
  22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Psychedelia had pretty much died by 1969, so those who continued to use the same drugs were now playing space rock. Even if they made a song called "Psychedelic Warlords", it's still space rock, not psychedelia. See?

jamesmaya and ianuaditis like this.
  23. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN
    REVOLVER
    ODESSEY AND ORACLE
    SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND
    TANGERINE DREAM (Kalideiscope)
    MAGIC PEOPLE (The Paupers)

holyroller and Peter Needham like this.
  24. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

Brazil's Mutantes, to take things international. Some of those sounds from Sergio Dias' custom-made guitar — custom-made out of necessity — are absolutely unique. Hard to pick among their classic first three, but probably this one:

jamesmaya and ianuaditis like this.
  25. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

Forever Changes forever! I share NME’s choice of number one psychedelic album of all time. It’s the music arrangements, the subject matter, all reflective of the times, and it’s a perfect listen from start to finish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.